• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Diy Home theatre subwoofer project

Wade1

Hello to everyone on the forum

I am planning a diy subwoofer build for my home theatre and music listening room.
I was wondering what would be an ideal driver to use that is both musical and something with ample headroom.
Currently I have a pair of 13W7s. They have served me well and cant fault them. I suppose its just time to upgrade.

Any advice will be appreciated.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
There is software such as WinISD (FREE) for designing speaker cabinets. You can enter the Thiele-Small parameters for your drivers (or potential drivers) and the software will help you optimize the design and show you a predicted response. And you can play with the box dimensions & port size, etc., to see what happens to the response.

that is both musical
"Musical" is one of those meaningless "audiophile" words. A good speaker should accurately reproduce whatever you send to it... If you're playing music the woofer should play the low frequency part of the music and if you're watching an action move it should reproduce the low frequency effects.

There are cheap one-note, boomy, subs, and I guess you could say they are not musical...

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You need to let us know if your keen on extreme SPL or just fairly loud. If you will be content with fairly loud any decent driver in a sealed box with some DSP will provide you with great bass.

You also need to tell us of you will go multiple subs or just one? Of course there are many other requirements that you might need to be factored in but if you can also tell us how low you need the sub to go it should give many experienced DIYers enough to recommend you something simple.

Personally the DaytonRSS315 is an affordable and powerful driver that can go sealed, factor in DSP and room gain you got a great sub.

WinIsd helps and plays a big role in getting started but DSP via computer or plate amp is an absolute must.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The JL 13W7 are decent drivers. They work best in a 2.75ft sealed cabinet, yielding a -3dB point of 37.5Hz, -10dB at 21.6Hz. That configuration should result in the least distortion and ample power handling if you want to apply DSP to alter the response.

If you aren't aware, placement is key. For a rectangular room you should first try 1 subwoofer halfway along each side wall.

Top Bottom