• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Holton amplifier builds underpowered and distorted

OP
N

noiseangel

Yes, wanting communication is understandable and fair enough - no argument from me. OTH a little perspective wouldn't go astray here. I'd like a haircut. I haven't been able to do that for 4 months - today I can. The melbourne hard lockdown has meant that apart from essential services most businesses, shops, offices are closed. People have been allowed out of the their homes for an hour a day. These are not normal times for Victorians.
I had no idea that Daniel Andrews had so much power that he could prevent people from using the phone or replying to emails. This covid is really really powerful if it can infect people through the phone or email system.

Are you serious in what you are saying that the lockdown prevented Arthur from replying or answering his phone?

John Doe

Too many Elektra shills on Stereonet for me to take the brand seriously. I believe they do Arthur a disservice unfortunately.

OP
N

noiseangel

Check out the soldering on his latest offering.
Looks like hes hiring kiddies from preschool to do his work
holton crappy soldering.png

OP
N

noiseangel

A closer look

Attachments

• holton crappy soldering 2.png
    holton crappy soldering 2.png
    385.1 KB · Views: 247

lemnoc

My recollections of Elektra were some strange variations in pricing. Back in the days you could source it from some guys on DTV forums for almost half the retail price.

Is that when Len Wallis dumped him and then later on Pure Music Group dumped him for doing the same thing ? Doesn't pay to back door your own dealers ;)

OP
N

noiseangel

Is that when Len Wallis dumped him and then later on Pure Music Group dumped him for doing the same thing ? Doesn't pay to back door your own dealers ;)
Your memory serves you correct

OP
N

noiseangel

More on this sorry tale of the Holton Amplifier saga. Looks like the people who have built these amps have been well and truly shafted. They are left with unusable amplifiers and the owner of stereonet Marc Rushton has closed the thread so there can be no more posting about this faulty rubbish. Refunds have been offered but we will never know if they get their money back, for the modules only of course, nothing for their time and work, expensive parts etc. One of the owners has had this seriously impact his mental health. His speakers are Duntech Sovereigns and any decent amplifier should be able to drive these. The thread was closed by Marc Rushton at the request of the amplifier maker, even though it wasn't started by him, as this was doing severe damage to his reputation or lack of now. The final word goes the guy who is now stuck with a bucket of rubbish. Full link here. https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/313905-holton-nxl800-power-amp-build/page/6/

I guess the thing here is whether you are DIY or you buy ready made, read, read, read and read again.

Attachments

• image_2021_02_27T02_26_56_473Z.png
    image_2021_02_27T02_26_56_473Z.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 136
  • image_2021_02_27T02_27_32_353Z.png
    image_2021_02_27T02_27_32_353Z.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 128
  • image_2021_02_27T02_27_54_352Z.png
    image_2021_02_27T02_27_54_352Z.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image_2021_02_27T02_28_52_812Z.png
    image_2021_02_27T02_28_52_812Z.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 124
  • image_2021_02_27T02_38_26_528Z.png
    image_2021_02_27T02_38_26_528Z.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 142

lemnoc

So Holton gets the thread closed that he didn't start and stereonet closes the thread in typical stereonet dictatorship fashion without allowing the original poster the right of reply :( And even if the OP gets a refund for the modules, what about all of his time and money spent on things like transformers, cases, heatsinks etc ?? The way I see it is that Holton owes the OP for a completely working amplifier and not just a partial refund ! It seems that Holton likes the exposure when a thread is going well for him but when there are problems he wants the thread closed or deleted asap :(

And the owner of stereonet see's "no good coming from this thread". Or maybe he can't see the good in alerting people not to take on a project like this from this particular vendor because you will be left high and dry if there are any problems !!

Last edited:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am trying to think what other diy amp modules the builder of those amps could use? Seems like a nice case, quality transformer and other parts, would be a shame if there was not another viable implementation.

Diy is alwsys risky business, particularly with new unprovrn components. If you dont want to troubleshoot best to look for ready made options.

naviivan

The OP really should have ended it earlier instead of dragging it out so long. Sold off the parts and bought something cheap and reliable.

i’m disappointed with Marc at StereoNet with closing the topic as there was no heavy trashing of Holton. Other Holton amps had been made by others members who rave about how good they sound.

lemnoc

The OP really should have ended it earlier instead of dragging it out so long. Sold off the parts and bought something cheap and reliable.

i’m disappointed with Marc at StereoNet with closing the topic as there was no heavy trashing of Holton. Other Holton amps had been made by others members who rave about how good they sound.

Why ? It's not just the parts it's the time he put into it and having to buy another transformer and rework the case etc which I guess would not be cheap. I don't see how the OP could be blamed at all for this as he was just trying to get a working solution when there was never going to be one. Surely none of it is his fault !!

Tubularbells

Hi all, as one of those mentioned in this thread I firstly wanted to say thanks for the support and advice offered. As of the the time of this post I have sent Holton Audio all of the products purchased back to sender as it was unfortunately not fit for purpose. I tried so damned hard to make it work but unfortunately after spending good money after bad it seems it wasn't to be. Even if I end up with a full refund id still be over $1000 short of what ive spent (not to mention my time involved in this project) so yeah it is very disappointing.

Last edited:
OP
N

noiseangel

Hi all, as one of those mentioned in this thread I firstly wanted to say thanks for the support and advice offered. As of the the time of this post I have sent Holton Audio all of the products purchased back to sender as it was unfortunately not fit for purpose. I tried so damned hard to make it work but unfortunately after spending good money after bad it seems it wasn't to be. Even if I end up with a full refund id still be over $1000 short of what ive spent (not to mention my time involved in this project) so yeah it is very disappointing.

Very sad Tubular.

OP
N

noiseangel

I'm the OP and I never built one thank god. I posted here for the couple of people having trouble.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gawd! Reading through that other sites thread was painful. Sorry for your troubles @Tubularbells

JSmith

Master Contributor
so yeah it is very disappointing
Mate that's a very nice way of putting it... what's happened here is fucking deplorable and no one should have to go through all that for what is a very expensive product. I honestly hope you get most, if not all of your dough back.

Hey hope you've been well otherwise. :)

JSmith

OP
N

noiseangel

So far Stereo.net.eu has closed the thread at Holtons request, Rushton told the world that Holton has agreed to refund the money (modules only but Holton has no money) but we will never know.

There is still one more thread running where the builder cannot get the claimed power output. Same result as above.

Tubularbells

So far Stereo.net.eu has closed the thread at Holtons request, Rushton told the world that Holton has agreed to refund the money (modules only but Holton has no money) but we will never know.

Sorry for the lack of updates here but since my last post ive received a partial refund (with the rest soon to follow im assured) so im glad to see Anthony's been a man of his word and just to be clear I hold no grudges against him or his company. In fact I wish him well as ive heard the potential of his amps even with the issues experienced. It a damn shame all round but im over it now so off to bigger and better things.

But to set the record straight i was never "silenced" on SNA. In fact I felt quite the opposite and was very supported however in behind the scenes discussions I agreed that nothing good could come from further discussions from the thread i'd created so it was me that initiated the closure (for all our sakes). Marc was actually happy for me to keep it open if i'd chosen to do so but again by that point it was done.

Anyway I've now got a Krell in my sights so with some luck that will work out and my amp dramas will finally become a distant memory. Cheers all.

Top Bottom