• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Headphone Measurements - Ear Simulation?

D

Deleted member 16543

Sorry, I meant coupler. As in pinna+canal+coupler.

You could try closed cell foam sheets instead of silicone.

OP
Dreyfus

Dreyfus

The 60318-4 is desinged to simulate the effects of the middle and inner ear. It is another piece of the puzzle which is also being used in GRAS' Ear and Cheek Simulator or Head Acoustics' HMS.
Actually the response of the coupler does also include a bit of the ear canal, right in front of the ear drum. So the 3/4 canal is probably fine. The canal of the latest anthropometric pinna by GRAS (KB5000) may even be a bit shorter.

I am trying to give the outter contact surface roughly the same softness as the inner one so that the ear pads can sit on an even surface. Silicone would be the best. Maybe I can find some thin cell foam that is not too hard. Most are open cell and may cause leakage, though.

Last edited:
OP
Dreyfus

Dreyfus

May I know where you got that Silicone pinna from? Looks good! :)
You can find it on popmicrophones.com. It is a pair of replacement ears for their 3Dio knock-off.
It is 3D-printed but actually quite smooth in its texture. I cut out the middle with a sharp plastic circle to get rid of the thicker edge (which is intended to wrap around the mounting plate).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16543

I used this in the past. Soft and no leakage.
Unfortunately they have since closed down, but maybe you can find something similar around.

Earfonia

Top Bottom