• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Electronics: How to Cut the Leads on Components

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When you assemble "through hole" components, you push the leads of components through the PCB. The leads can be as long as 1 inch so they need to be cut off. I once sat there and cut them off from hundreds of boards. Man that was tiring.

mtaWGjhTUN6g5LJd.medium

Here is how it gets done in China:

Holy cow! He is one slip away from losing his fingers or even whole hand.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Sadly, working conditions are often ignored in 'off-shoring' of jobs in the pursuit of profits. Company shareholders can make things better but are generally diffident.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Definitely. Even in Japan the standards are lower than US. I remember going to visit a manufacturing facility when I worked for Sony that handled Magnesium (specialized work). I took my mechanical engineer with me who use to work for Apple. When we got to this (small) factory in a remote area, my mechanical engineer was very surprised by the lack of safety standards around the multi-ton presses.

Wombat

Master Contributor
De-regulation forces are at work in the west to lower(and have lowered) hard won standards using 'jobs' as justification. A race to third world status?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I once read somewhere that in the British military, technicians are taught to re-solder over the ends of snipped leads to prevent oxidation getting into the joints. Once I heard that, I always found myself compelled to do the same.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That may possibly have some real world benefit, if trimming the lead applies enough force to form a tiny gap on the surface where the lead and the solder meet. And then only if the joint has been poorly made and the solder doesn't form a meniscus.
But it ignores the flux and other contaminants that remain around the lead in the through-board hole after cleaning.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Definitely. Even in Japan the standards are lower than US. I remember going to visit a manufacturing facility when I worked for Sony that handled Magnesium (specialized work). I took my mechanical engineer with me who use to work for Apple. When we got to this (small) factory in a remote area, my mechanical engineer was very surprised by the lack of safety standards around the multi-ton presses.

NATURAL SELECTION.

iridium.

Top Bottom