• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Darth Maul Binaural Recording Head (work in progress)

Midnight Audiophile

Basic materials for the binaural recording head:

Silicon Ear Models: $24.21 (new on Amazon)
It took awhile to find some the right size and with a base I could work with. These are a good likeness of a real human ear with a nice canal and are the about the same size (65mm) as the ones BinauralEnthusiast.com sells for $99 to $139.
61kRosCrMPL._SL1500_.jpg

FFXS PVC Mannequin Head: $26.50 (new on Amazon)
~71LoIiNESJL._SL1500_.jpg

Sound Professionals MS-TFB-2 Ultra-Low Noise In-Ear Binaural Mics $76.79 (used on Amazon)
518r0RM4yBL._AC_SL1489_.jpg

Frequency Range: 20 Hz – 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity: -32dB ±3dB @ 94dB SPL
S/N Ratio: 75dB
Maximum SPL at 12vdc: 120dB
Dynamic Range: 119dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
Impedance: 2.2 kOhms
Voltage range – 2vdc – 12vdc
Current draw: 500 µA

Total: $127.50

Darth Maul Model Mod:
Eyeballs Halloween Horror Props: $10.99
71eAQKIPxmS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I’m just using the center part of the yellow eyes. With a little extra red around the edges from a marker and they’re a good likeness for Maul’s. I’m going to use red thread splayed out and embedded in a gloss topcoat for the veins in his eyes.

Dental Acrylic Resin Denture Tooth Kit: $6.99
41YNxqAv4SL.jpg

I used the foam insert from the package the ears came in to make channels for the ears inside the head:
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.08.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.08.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.15.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.09.55 PM.png

I cut the ear holes in the silicon ears with the sharpened eraser end of a pencil, trimmed away the supports on the mics and mounted the eraser (cut in half) to the backs of the mics, then wrapped with a small bit of shrink-tubing. This makes a nice grip and also helps positions to position and hold them in the ear canal properly. I made channels on the back of the ears for the cords by using a woodburner.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 8.57.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.00.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 8.59.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.02.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.02.52 PM.png

I dyed the ears black with Revlon hair color. This is about the only effective way to dye silicon and is useful for coloring things like game controller buttons also.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.01.52 PM.png

I’m just going to pack the head tightly with poly-fill and the basic recording head part is done. The Darth Maul look is coming along and I’ll have it completely finished in a week or so. I used metal screws through the head as cores to build the horns. I’m using mainly JB Water Weld and Plastic Wood for the modeling part. I did build up the top of his head about an extra 1/2” using hot glue then covering with Water Weld.

Some reference for the horns:

Maul_Horns_1.jpg

The top of his head is basically done except for the horns. Note that the horns just above and in front of his ears are going to be made so that they are removable (1/4” 20 screw inserts) as to not interfere with headphones or the sound during recording.

IMG_4246.jpg

Now I’m working on the eyes and will make my way down his face. Teeth are looking cruddy (just like Maul’s). I’ll do some final yellow and black touch-up with dry-brushing.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 5.52.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.46.18 PM.png

This is the look and expression I’m working towards for the model. I’ll post the finished model here when it’s done!
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 6.24.07 AM.png

BenB

I’m just going to pack the head tightly with poly-fill and the basic recording head part is done.

Cool project. I wish binaural recordings worked for me, but they don't. So I wont be one to assess any results you get. I do think it's possible you'll need to do more to prevent in-head resonances than stuff it with poly-fill. Sounds may pass through the silicone ears (and surrounding area) and resonante inside the head cavity, even if filled. I have first hand experience with a well stuffed cabinet still exciting the port resonance. Good luck, and keep us posted!

OP
Midnight Audiophile

Midnight Audiophile

Cool project. I wish binaural recordings worked for me, but they don't. So I wont be one to assess any results you get. I do think it's possible you'll need to do more to prevent in-head resonances than stuff it with poly-fill. Sounds may pass through the silicone ears (and surrounding area) and resonante inside the head cavity, even if filled. I have first hand experience with a well stuffed cabinet still exciting the port resonance. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Thanks man! I'm open to ideas on the filler/stuffing.

There will be about 1/2" of closed cell foam behind the ears in the cavities I built so that should help a little. Sand is one option but I didn't want it to be that heavy. I've also read that wool works good for damping. I can get long fiber sheep wool for about $20 a pound. That may be a good way to go.

51U9AsZGs-L._AC_SY355_.jpg

edit) I thought about sawdust also for a filler. I've only researched it a little but I'll likely do a few tests and measurements with sawdust, wool, and the poly-fill.

Last edited:

odarg64

I dabbled with binaural recordings many years ago. The Darth Maul head is much cooler than anything I whipped up. Nice work!

Top Bottom