• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Diy DAP

Thanos_D

Hello, this is my first post in this forum, but I've been lurking around for a while. This is post is about an idea of mine to convert an old phone to a DAP. So, a friend of mine gave me an old smartphone of his (Sony Xperia SP), and I got it up and running the latest android version (11), with UAPP installed. I have ordered a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, to use as the DAC of the whole "system". I want to be able to drive iems (TinHiFi T2, Blon BL02, a custom IEM with one balanced and one DD), as well as my Philips SHP9500, and maybe the BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm). As I understand, the dongle alone will have some trouble driving the headphones, so I was considering also purchasing a Topping NX1s, securing it at the back of the phone, and connect it to the dongle. Are there any other alternatives to the NX1s, at a similar price point?

What do you think of the whole idea in general?

P.S. I wasn't sure if this should be posted in the DIY category, as it is not very DIY.

jae

Major Contributor
E1da 9038S (balanced) / 9038D (SE- not sure if this one is released yet)

threni

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
T

Thanos_D

E1da 9038S (balanced) / 9038D (SE- not sure if this one is released yet)
I considered this also, but it's 90€, while the sonata was 30€, and I have already ordered the latter. So I am mainly looking for a dedicated portable amp

Maybe just get a £9 Apple usb -> 3.5mm dongle:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

Much less junk to carry around; the only problem is driving high impedance or insensitive headphones (especially if you get the EU version); your volume will be limited. Probably fine for IEM and your Philips.
I am mostly worried about the headphones, that's why I am looking for a dedicated portable amp, I already have purchased the DAC portion of the "system"

threni

Major Contributor
I am mostly worried about the headphones, that's why I am looking for a dedicated portable amp, I already have purchased the DAC portion of the "system"

What are you worried about? The Apple dongle isn't going to damage them, it just might be a little quiet.

OP
T

Thanos_D

What are you worried about? The Apple dongle isn't going to damage them, it just might be a little quiet.
I am worried that it won't drive them properly, as you said. I know it won't damage them

threni

Major Contributor
I am worried that it won't drive them properly, as you said. I know it won't damage them

It drives my HD 595 (50 ohm, I think!) headphones with no problem but I guess it depends on how loud you like to play music, how loud the source files are etc. I'm toying with getting the US version of the dongle to play with. But yeah, an amp will remove any worry. I imagine you'll find reviews here of combination amp/DACs so you only need the one dongle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom