• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY DAC guide?

minjunk

Hello, I want to make a DAC on my own and couldn't find any materials to help me. Could anyone point me to something that can explain to me how to make a DAC and all the components? Thank you!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I want to make a DAC on my own and couldn't find any materials to help me. Could anyone point me to something that can explain to me how to make a DAC and all the components? Thank you!

That is a rather open-ended question. There are so many different DAC topologies to choose from depending on your requirements. Of course the only DACs anyone does "from scratch" these days are primitive R2R ladder DACs (because they are so trivial). Most people use a DAC chip - see their application notes for auxiliary components. Of course you can go really fancy and use FPLAs etc., but you'd better know what you are doing and the benefits are questionable.

Top Bottom