• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Compact tower speakers recommandation

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have some amigas to take outside and try to measure right and post it because doesn't look like anyone has.

Bass is fine imo, plenty of it, but I think the integration between the woofer and tweeter is not good. Not sure how I feel about the speaker, some days I like it others I hate it. measurements will reveal all. I wish I had picked a different design or just done my 3 way 12+4+1. I think there are better options I than the amiga and people should look elsewhere. Shame I can't sell these for much. Anyone want em?

I also have the classix ii that I'll be measuring which I actually like a lot and some early measurements I did looked great in room.

D!sco

I want the Amiga measurements. It looks like such an easy recommendation with the flat pack.

mightycicadalord

I'm going to go ahead and do another set of measurements tomorrow with better setup, but this was outside, mic 1m away right in between woofer and tweeter. Unsure of accuracy in the lower regions. I flop flop a lot on the speaker.

Amiga.jpg

McFly

I'm going to go ahead and do another set of measurements tomorrow with better setup, but this was outside, mic 1m away right in between woofer and tweeter. Unsure of accuracy in the lower regions. I flop flop a lot on the speaker.

View attachment 192281
Try direct on tweeter axis see if that 2-4k dip lifts. Otherwise it is probably a design decision - makes a speaker much easier to listen to long term where the ear is most sensitive, but may initially sound like the vocals are recessed. Rest of it looks okay no major issues. Maybe a cabinet internal standing wave at 550 , could try various amounts of cabinet fill or baffles for this.

mightycicadalord

The original prediction by Carmody pretty much mirrors the response I have. I really should've paid more attention to the issues in the response there before purchasing these. You can try to add the dip back in but it doesn't make that much of a difference. I find they have a brightness that is tough to get rid of. Without EQ they just sound kinda cheap with that midrange. The typical fake detail boosted region.

Right now they are filled as per the design, so sheets on the inside walls and stuffing in the lower 1/4 of the cabinet.

The classix II sound better in some ways to me, measure better overall. That BC25 tweeter is just smooth.

I will also say that one can get caught up in chasing a sound or fixing things when the reality is that mix is shit. Seems that like 70% of music is mixed pretty poorly.

Last edited:
OP
Madslide

Madslide

What about the Solstice MTL or the CSS criton 2td-x ? Both are not compact but seems to have great feedbacks.

My goal is to make something that would be an upgrade to my Davis Acoustics Matissse HD

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the Solstice MTL or the CSS criton 2td-x ? Both are not compact but seems to have great feedbacks.

My goal is to make something that would be an upgrade to my Davis Acoustics Matissse HD

Forgot about the Solstice. It is a solid design too and is fairly compact. Almost bought and planned to make them active, but my CBTs blew the budget and have been working on Directiva since. Recall some questions over the woofer performance, The lack of a good set of measurements for them makes it more difficult to judge contemporarily.

Do not know much about the Matisses. Have any measurements?

Last edited:
OP
Madslide

Madslide

Sorry I'm not equipped to do such type of measurement (the only microphone I have is on my laptop...) Unfortunately this brand is not known worldwide and there is very little informations about them (no response graph). Those speakers had several magazine awards and accolades but that proves nothing.

xarkkon

OP, how did you end up on your search? I'm considering DIY Towers too and am curious on your progress.

OP
Madslide

Madslide

So after many reading I decided to make à 2 way bookshelf with wave guide, passive radiator and active crossover instead (passive crossover is my principal concern for any speaker project – Active allows to change easily parameters and to boost the bass response so less need of the tower format).
I keep the possibility to make a bass extension below the bookshelf wich will lead at the end to a 3 way tower speaker.
Work in progress - Current thread is here :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pired-buchardt-s400-–-crossover-design.32890/

Otherwise I think I will have gone for the SB Acoustic Rinjani but it’s out of my budget.
https://sbacoustics.com/product/rinjani/

Top Bottom