• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Compact tower speakers recommandation

Ericglo

In my personal opinion and from listening experiences, I would not touch that DQ25 tweeter with a 39.5 foot pole. I know it measured well for John and is why he used it in his line of kits, but there is something that has not been quantified in its measurements. It has this 'broadband glare' (a peers words) that comes through when in use that is not apparent during sweeping style measurements. Give it sine waves, and it seems okay. When played above xover full spectrum it really does sound broken to me, and some other builders.

FWIW, PSB used it in a line of their speakers, and I could immediately tell it was that tweeter. I turned around and left the demo room.

Rumor mill says it might be on Tymphany's chopping block in the near future, and I welcome its demise.

Interesting, as I have never heard it.

On a more general note, I wonder if time hasn't passed a lot of the Zaph designs by.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wouldn't worry about the sensitivity of the speaker you pick. I run some low sensitivity speakers (83db) off an aiyima a07 and there are no issues with getting to uncomfortable levels. I was concerned myself with my speakers but it really turned out to be a non-issue

KellenVancouver

I built mine via Selah Audio, and they're fantastic to my ears. Unfortunately, I believe he has passed and they are no longer selling. Not sure if that is just rumor mill info or not, but if I'm incorrect they would definitely be worth checking out.

Ericglo

I built mine via Selah Audio, and they're fantastic to my ears. Unfortunately, I believe he has passed and they are no longer selling. Not sure if that is just rumor mill info or not, but if I'm incorrect they would definitely be worth checking out.

Rick did die last summer.

Last I checked the website wasn't active. Does anyone know if he left his IP to anyone?

Wolf

Interesting, as I have never heard it.

On a more general note, I wonder if time hasn't passed a lot of the Zaph designs by.
You can still build some of his at this time like the ZD5, ZRT, and maybe a couple others.

OP
Madslide

Madslide

What if I use the IDUNN kits components with the already recomanded crossover ?
It use the U18RNX/P that SEAS adviced me as a altenative to the PMC 24i driver (custom manufactured by seas) and the 27TBCD/GB-DXT for twitter. Crossover in this kit is designed for 2.2khz ( whereas PMC clame to cross at 1.8khz with there drivers)

Wolf

The IDUNN I believe was the one with deficient bass warmth. The Bragi is suposed to be better.
We will see how I like my implentation.

The PMC woofer is a Peerless, not a SEAS, number 830990.

OP
Madslide

Madslide

The PMC woofer is a Peerless, not a SEAS, number 830990.
Thanks for the information !

Based on your EMP crossover, what should I modify to the crossover If I only wants to use one Woofer (830990 as you mentioned) rather than two ?

Wolf

It would take a total redesign of xover and such including measurements and voicing. It's not a 'change this and be happy' kind of thing. That said, the cabinet of the PMC is optimized for the 830990, a single 6.5" woofer. You can't just swap drivers into this or that cabinet either. It's a lot more complicated than that.

Yevhen

Forum Donor
20210105_120849.jpg

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Just be aware that there is one drawback with these 2-way floorstanders. They all have a 100-200Hz dip in room frequency response. It's not seen in anechoic measurements but can be easily measured in your real room or simulated, for example, in SpeakerSim

mightycicadalord

Just be aware that there is one drawback with these 2-way floorstanders. They all have a 100-200Hz dip in room frequency response. It's not seen in anechoic measurements but can be easily measured in your real room or simulated, for example, in SpeakerSim

Guess it depends where you put em, mine are on stands. Why build floor standers and put them on stands you ask? I don't really know it's just how things ended up.

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Guess it depends where you put em, mine are on stands. Why build floor standers and put them on stands you ask? I don't really know it's just how things ended up.
Yeah, indeed, I saw in simulation that the dip at 100-200Hz and peak at a bit higher frequencies disappear if you put the midrange closer to the floor or the opposite - higher, closer to the 1/2 of the height of the room

Yevhen

Forum Donor
In my next project, I would try to keep the woofers at 20-40cm from the floor

2.jpg

p3422971462-3.jpg
eikon_image1.png

Wolf

That dip you are referring to is called floor-bounce. It's really not that big of a deal.

D!sco

You might want to look at the Uluwatu, nice slim baffle and smooth response. There are also the two Revelator Towers if you want to spend a bit more. All of them have superb drivers and are designed by people with credible chops.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about also to consider full elimination of LC(R)-network and jump into multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier setup enabling much flexible fine tuning with your DIY speakers?

The possible budget will not be too much if you would use software audio player like JRiver MC, software XO/EQ (DSP) like EKIO, multichannel DAC like OKTO DAC8PRO or FOCUSRITE Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen (or 3rd gen) or MOTU UltraLite Mk5, plus two or three reasonable HiFi integrated amplifiers for your start-up.

Just for your reference, you may find my latest multichannel setup in this direction on my project thread.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was asked a comparable question to the OP‘s one in another thread and ended up doing a PM. Here are some additional suggestions.

Avoid the Amiga as the bass is not up to the claims. It is a decent older design, but IMO, the value is not there. I built one with a newer version of the woofer and improved the bass extension, but cannot recommend.

I have built several Zaph ZA5s and they are a value better than the Amiga. As @Wolf indicates, not a great tweeter, but the overall speaker is a solid design and good value. If the budget allows, his ZRT is likely a good choice. I have not built it though.

On the more contemporary side, Bagby’s Docero and the Heismann designs look promising. Although Directiva is closer to home for me, the current versions will not meet the OP’s budget targets.

Hope this helps a bit!

Rick

Last edited:
Top Bottom