• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY cable parts source in US? (small order)

happythoughts

I'd like to assemble my own cables. I'm very proficient at soldering etc. What is a good source to get short lengths of cables and fittings without a large minimum order?

Will be making XLR and RCA interconnect and headphone cables. And I know its easier to buy but i'll DIY for fun.

thanks.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When I'm in a hurry and can't wait a day for Amazon of Digikey, they're my go-to. The balanced mike cable they sell is excellent for high quality interconnects.

OP
H

happythoughts

So in case anyone cares..... I just ordered the following:

Two: Neutrik NC3MX-B XLR connector

Two: Neutrik NC3FX-B8 XLR connector

10 feet of - Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad Microphone Cable

It was about $28 shipped. The guys on the phone at Markertek were super helpful

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Markertek is great. Connectors and cables. Buy my Canare products there. Plus Amphenol and Neutrik connectors.
For estoteric items; copper spades, copper quick disconnects, Amphenol Twinaxial BNC connectors and Sommer SC Club Red Zilk cable eBay is your friend.

Dogen

Forum Donor

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I think he is no longer with us. He did have some nice looking speakers.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is this guy still around? I remember him and his luxuriant mane in the pages of Abolute Sound and all the other other mags; sort of an audiophile Jesus figure. Impressed he could keep at it so long.

I am intrigued by his tunable Brazilian Pine Cable Grounds, though.

If it's who I'm thinking of, he put the snake in snake oil.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Speaking of the oil, I saw mention of a new headphone cable. It use an insulator that contains carbon to make it conductive. So a conductive insulator.
Before you laugh my favorite diy interconnect cable use an insulator that is conductive. Suspect there is something to the conductive insulators.
Sommer Cable has released single ended and balanced bulk cable with foamed PE and conductive insulators in the last few years. Easy to source in Europe, a little hard to find in the US. I have used the Sommer Cable SC Club Black Zilk and Red Zilk. Not tried the single ended cable.
The Red Zilk is my favorite. Might be psychological, it seems better than the Black Zilk and the more expensive Sommer Albedo and Carbokab.
The headphone cable I saw mention of is Kimber Carbon. Being a product and not a diy it is more expensive than the cobbled up cables I build.
The Kimber Carbon is 3,000.00. The bulk Sommer SC-Club Red Zilk is 3.53 a meter. I assume the Kimber Carbon is two meters or close so the cost difference is not that extreme. And there are connector and labor costs built into the Kimber headphone cable.
My suggestion is to buy the Kimber cable. If it delivers on sound quality order some bulk Sommer cable and build an interconnect with conductive insulators.
Sommer coats the Carbokab cable conductors with a conductive plastic. Said it reduced skin effects. The Albedo and Zilk cables have the conductive plastic outside of the foamed PE insulation to provide an additional layer of shielding.
No info is provided to how the conductive insulation used in the Kimber Carbon headphone cable is utilized.
The technical explanation is it drains the capacitive charge built up in the cable. So it maybe in contact with the conductors.
Maybe Kimber will soon release Carbon series balanced and single ended interconnects.

Top Bottom