• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY cable and adapter making. Looking for others.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

Maybe use longer ICs and shorter speaker cables?
Well, 2x3m would be enough, but I would want 4m lenghts because sometimes I rebuild the setup in my living room. In my listening room the setup is asymmetrical. For IC to amp, tv, riaa I use 3m interconnects. Between my interface and HP amp 0.5m is enough for optical, spdif. If I dont connect them Breakout to breakout cable.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

@DonDish
yeah…I like nice tools.
(And I hate to buy twice.)
I know, but its just that itch and urge. :D Knipex are really nice. I have some for plumbing and general fixes too. I like that paralell grip/push button action. Really smart. Knipex is more than enough for cable making. Those Lindstrom´s are for very fine electronics components. You get them with different cutting profiles and such. If you need a new round nose plier I can recommend them though.

The one on the right is paralell grip. It wont hurt nuts and bolts edges. Always a use for this one. Originally made for chromed brass fittings for bathrooms. The left one is nice pocket size
81ohjIYCi9L._AC_SY550_.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
12g would probably work for me too. Yeah its expensive $40 for 10 metres. Im not set on this, but im pondering it. Speaker cables is a later project
LOL, well I converted the money but was still thinking in cost per ft, per m is a lot more reasonable! In any case I'm fine with spending a third of that for my needs (several multich systems)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know, but its just that itch and urge. :D Knipex are really nice. I have some for plumbing and general fixes too. I like that paralell grip/push button action. Really smart. Knipex is more than enough for cable making. Those Lindstrom´s are for very fine electronics components. You get them with different cutting profiles and such. If you need a new round nose plier I can recommend them though.

The one on the right is paralell grip. It wont hurt nuts and bolts edges. Always a use for this one. Originally made for chromed brass fittings for bathrooms. The left one is nice pocket size
View attachment 231693
Yep, have a pair of those Knipex, very nice.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

LOL, well I converted the money but was still thinking in cost per ft, per m is a lot more reasonable! In any case I'm fine with spending a third of that for my needs (several multich systems)
Lol :D With that kinda pricing were not in science territory anymore. I have stereo so, but with many mch I would get a roll of something else.
I seriously considered a speakon mod for my LS50, but I probaly wont :D Those are my babies you know

You can setup thomann to work with any currency. I dont think they have a meter to feet converter though :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol :D With that kinda pricing were not in science territory anymore. I have stereo so, but with many mch I would get a roll of something else.
I seriously considered a speakon mod for my LS50, but I probaly wont :D Those are my babies you know

You can setup thomann to work with any currency. I dont think they have a meter to feet converter though :D
LOL just up late is more like it, can usually handle any conversions needed :) Yeah the most expensive stock of 10g I can think of would probably be half that of what I was originally thinking and still stay within "science". I do like speakons for my diy stuff, but haven't converted a speaker....

It reminded me earlier when you mentioned bike repair kit, and wasn't sure what you meant....but that's why I got the Knipex tool......I'd used one when I worked a bit at our local bike shop, had to get one for myself....now about that heatshrink with adhesive, regular heatshrink alone wouldn't work?

OP
DonDish

DonDish

LOL just up late is more like it, can usually handle any conversions needed :) Yeah the most expensive stock of 10g I can think of would probably be half that of what I was originally thinking and still stay within "science". I do like speakons for my diy stuff, but haven't converted a speaker....

It reminded me earlier when you mentioned bike repair kit, and wasn't sure what you meant....but that's why I got the Knipex tool......I'd used one when I worked a bit at our local bike shop, had to get one for myself....now about that heatshrink with adhesive, regular heatshrink alone wouldn't work?
Normal heatshirink is fine for evrything else, but its slips of the conical end of the xlr and trs jack. So I wanted some glue. With tire repair I was thinking about "Tip Top rubber cement" :D ,but I found a 3:1 shrinkratio, 12mm tube wich have some adhesive coated on the inside. The Sommer sales guy tipped me of to it. I want those fittings real nice and strong, like a better factory made type quality and look to it. No slipping aloud!

OP
DonDish

DonDish

Normal heatshirink is fine for evrything else, but its slips of the conical end of the xlr and trs jack. So I wanted some glue. With tire repair I was thinking about "Tip Top rubber cement" :D ,but I found a 3:1 shrinkratio, 12mm tube wich have some adhesive coated on the inside. The Sommer sales guy tipped me of to it. I want those fittings real nice and strong, like a better factory made type quality and look to it. No slipping aloud!
16634945788829171306504901762845.jpg

OP
DonDish

DonDish

In my youth I worked at a car factory. Assembly line stuff, and I have some machine shop experience, turning, milling and drilling. So even if im not going into cable manufacturing I like to think of it as a process of reproducible results. So while the process of dreaming, constructing and designing this stuff is a state of unfiltered thinking, lucky shots, bullseyes and setbacks. Ie a creative process. The actual building of the stuff should be 99% strict and by my book. A philosophy I guess.
Ive done some solder and cable DIY before, small time necessary fixes. Nothing like this. New territory is always refreshing!

Holmz

Major Contributor

View attachment 231693

Yeah, I got a set about 4-5 months ago.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

Yeah, I got a set about 4-5 months ago.
I have some of those expensive pliers, they are old. My fav wirecutter is a small knipex. Wasnt cheap that one either. Im giving off the wrong image here. Mostly I try to buy tools that make sense economically or practically.
Im mighty proud of my solder station. Weller we1010. Thats just a new world from the stuff I used to have. Pricey but worth every penny.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

While on the subject. Im gonna get myself a dedicated wirestripper. For those small inner wires. I dont like it when I loose wire strands.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

16636633108767260500695032974577.jpg
These arrived today. Thinking of using them in my next project. Stellar swiss quality Lemo contacts. Always wanted to try them. Real swift operation, exotic materials, instrumentation contacts. Expensive at some 8 times the price of XLR. Not gonna make this a habit! Also got a stubby chisel solder tip which I have some expectation too. Quick heat transfer to solder contacts.

Updates will follow

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I used the Neutrik NF2CB2 cinch connectors a few times, beside the fact that these are expensive once you have them plugged in it's a pain to unplug them again because the shielding is clamped by the housing on the chassis part.
So for fixed installations it is ok.
But beautiful connectors.

Neutrik_NF2CB2_professionele_phono_pug_RCACinch_paar.jpg

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used the Neutrik NF2CB2 cinch connectors a few times, beside the fact that these are expensive once you have them plugged in it's a pain to unplug them again because the shielding is clamped by the housing on the chassis part.

View attachment 232106
EVERY RCA connector should be like that. Whoever thought that making the signal contact before the ground was a good idea should be made to sit in front of a large PA stack whilst the sources are connected...slowly....

S.

Holmz

Major Contributor
View attachment 232102
These arrived today. Thinking of using them in my next project. Stellar swiss quality Lemo contacts. Always wanted to try them. Real swift operation, exotic materials, instrumentation contacts. Expensive at some 8 times the price of XLR. Not gonna make this a habit! Also got a stubby chisel solder tip which I have some expectation too. Quick heat transfer to solder contacts.

Updates will follow

Where from?
I need some Lemo connectors

Holmz

Major Contributor

View attachment 232106

They are like ~15 USD, or 26 AUD, so a bit expensive, but nice quality.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

View attachment 232106
These came attached to a spdif cable I bought, really smart concept. ,but like you say. Im afraid to pull the mainboard out of equipment. Too tight is pretty common with RCA´s though. If I should build some nicer RCA i would use them. I have some REAN, a Neutrik affiliate I think. Nice price and OK to solder.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

Where from?
I need some Lemo connectors
I ordered these from Elfa distrelec. ,but these are many places. I think they are at some level of industry standard. What are you gonna use them for?

OP
DonDish

DonDish

16636837936064193782289127722020.jpg
This came in another package today. Nowhere to stick pentaconn yet, but I felt dared to solder the damn thing. Mogami starquad is shure full of cotton and paper wrap.

Top Bottom