• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY cable and adapter making. Looking for others.

DonDish

Im in the process of doing some DIY cables and I looking for others who are into this. The internet has millions of guides and bits and pieces of info all over. Im looking for some living community to sparr some reflections with. Im new to this so my own contribution would be minimal.

My very loose criteria for such a forum or community would be like this, special areas of interest in bold:

1. No metaphysics. I can take some of it(We are talking about audio cables after all lol.) ,but I dont want to be boored into endless discussions about it. Both feets to the ground.
2. Discussions about flux, solder and weld quality. Soldering stations, use and maintenance.
3. Discussions about bulk cable. brands, workability, quality and electrical properties.
4. Discussions about contacts, shrink tubes, cable hose, anything related.
5. Use of multimeters and cable testers to verify results whitin reasonable tolerances.

So with a quick glance at the emboldened text you see where im going. Does anyone know of a goto which encompasses some or all of this I would be eternally happy!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I use Neutrik connectors because of built Quality. Everything else from the hardware store closest by. For XLR some pro starquads (vanDamme in my case, but any other will do too). Multimeter the cheap ones will do, to check for continuity. End of story. Sorry not much more to it.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I built this on Tuesday...

I used a cheap generic solder station which was a massive upgrade from the cheap soldering iron I had been using previously: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09FT4GG2Z

OP
DonDish

DonDish

I use Neutrik connectors because of built Quality. Everything else from the hardware store closest by. For XLR some pro starquads (vanDamme in my case, but any other will do too). Multimeter the cheap ones will do, to check for continuity. End of story. Sorry not much more to it.
I got a bunch of Neutriks too, top quality, but really not expensive. My first project is an adapter/y-cable for ADI-2 pro xlr 4 to 2 trs. I had some neurosis about making a stereo pair, and they might not measure the same. So when you say continuity you mean to run a current through with multimeter and it either works or it dont. Am i understanding you correct.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I got a bunch of Neutriks too, top quality, but really not expensive. My first project is an adapter/y-cable for ADI-2 pro xlr 4 to 2 trs. I had some neurosis about making a stereo pair, and they might not measure the same. So when you say continuity you mean to run a current through with multimeter and it either works or it dont. Am i understanding you correct.
Yes. To make sure all strands are connected to the correct pins and no shorts exist.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

I built this on Tuesday...

I used a cheap generic solder station which was a massive upgrade from the cheap soldering iron I had been using previously: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09FT4GG2Z
Thats a really nice building blog, now im thinking of documenting my own work. Genius move to put the 2.5 into xlr barrel instead off cable between.

I got a nice weller station, so it will do the job. Do you have experience with enameled copper? In paralell to my adapter im doing a cable mod for my HD650. I was hoping(praying) for it to normal wire, but sadly it doesnt.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

Message for OP within affordable reason and budget always buy the best quality connector that your money can buy. :D You'll see why when you start assembling cables.
I got all the Neutrik I need here. The XLR4 plugs have solder cups which seems really nice. I wish they all had that.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have experience with enameled copper? In paralell to my adapter im doing a cable mod for my HD650. I was hoping(praying) for it to normal wire, but sadly it doesnt.

Yes, I made a short 4.4mm balanced cable for my HD660s for desktop use (the stock cable is 3m long)...

20210324_190039 (Small).jpg

I don't have a picture of the soldering, but I remember it wasn't pretty - 4.4mm plugs are quite fiddly to solder! IIRC, I scrapped the enamel off with a scalpel. The 'doner cable' was a Sennheiser OEM HD650 3m cable which cost me £11.27 from Amazon UK.

The finished cable looked fine...

20210324_212233 (Small).jpg

OP
DonDish

DonDish

Yes, I made a short 4.4mm balanced cable for my HD660s for desktop use (the stock cable is 3m long)...

View attachment 229751

I don't have a picture of the soldering, but I remember it wasn't pretty - 4.4mm plugs are quite fiddly to solder! IIRC, I scrapped the enamel off with a scalpel. The 'doner cable' was a Sennheiser OEM HD650 3m cable which cost me £11.27 from Amazon UK.

The finished cable looked fine...

View attachment 229752
I see what you mean about the pentaconn. Is it supposed to just solder straight to those bare short metal cylinders. No holes no nothing. Your specific plug isnt really made for DIY is it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see what you mean about the pentaconn. Is it supposed to just solder straight to those bare short metal cylinders. No holes no nothing. Your specific plug isnt really made for DIY is it?
It's a option as a package and it makes sense in some ways. More options = better. :D

OP
DonDish

DonDish

A solder pot makes working this type easier.
I will check that out and see if its within my reach and budget. I actually prepared a question before I started thread for something like this: How would an automated industrial machine handle this. The wire comes in spools right. No stripped ends, and welded straight to the contact.

Back to the solder pot. How would it help me?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How would an automated industrial machine handle this. The wire comes in spools right. No stripped ends, and welded straight to the contact.
You would require a, "Mill." can mount gear on it and form a assembly line of metal work operations including welding etc.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Mostly those https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/xlr-connectors/xlr-cable-connectors/xx-series?c=audio

For extra peace of mind

And for cable (xlr) (the name already sounds dramatic ;-))

All at reasonable prices.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Practice, practice, practice!

I'm an electronic engineer and pretty adept with a soldering iron. However, I've also worked with professional wiring teams, who can build large bundles of complicated wiring looms. Because they do this every day, they do a far tidier job than I can and create high-quality, fault-free complex cable installation.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Practice, practice, practice!

I'm an electronic engineer and pretty adept with a soldering iron. However, I've also worked with professional wiring teams, who can build large bundles of complicated wiring looms. Because they do this every day, they do a far tidier job than I can and create high-quality, fault-free complex cable installation.
Yep building your own also satisfies a bit my tinkering spirit and I can make it to the exact length I want. Otherwise you are right if you can buy ‘em even better.

Top Bottom