• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY beginners courses?

doctorjuggles

I’ve recently been interested in improving my DIY knowledge after doing a couple of very basic repair jobs (and by very basic I mean 3.5mm stereo pin repairs, seriously basic).
Anyway, I enjoy things like that and I’d like to learn more. Are there any courses that people can recommend which I can sign up for? Obviously my interest is in audio, but if there’s a general course that I would be better off starting out with for the basics I’d also be interested. I assume that the best of the best would have a background in electrical engineering, is that right? Not after that type of course just yet, but I’d like to know what sort of levels there are to all of this. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not as easy a question to answer in a universal way as you might think. You never know which style of learning something fits another person.

For starters I am not an EE. My educational background was that of an ME. I taught myself somewhat, and knowing the basic math from my ME background made that easier. In time just to get a more thorough education for my hobby and the increasing instrumentation use in my job, I started taking electronics in a community college. I don't know if you have similar things in the UK. Those are 2 year colleges oriented more toward vocational education like nursing, welding, or HVAC repair, or electronics or such fields. I did end up with a 2 year degree in industrial electronics. The math for that is not what is needed for an EE. The math for this lower level hardly goes beyond basic algebra.

So not an EE, and sometimes that shows. It is enough knowledge to know my way around circuits you'll find in electronics.

Now long winded answer. I'm not suggesting you do what I did to learn electronics. Though if you did, I think you'd find time spent that way is actually more efficient and leaves fewer gaps than doing it all yourself.

I'd suggest looking at a few books on the subject at a real live bookstore. Get one or two that seem good to you. What I find holds people back is you really need a good grounding in the very basics of electricity. You really need a textbook approach to that before going further. Such topics are not riveting material. Most DIY books I've seen get into too many topics trying to make it interesting, but when you are done you don't have enough of the basics to have learned all that much.

Here is the table of contents of the 12th edition of a text I had. These are the basic subjects you would do well to learn. None are really very hard, but they aren't flashy topics by themselves and so many DIY books want to gloss over this. I'd look around and find an earlier edition. The subject matter hasn't changed and you can get earlier editions for a fraction of the price. 8th editions are around inexpensively. A copy of this book as a reference along with the more typical teach yourself books might be a good combination.

This is Bernard Grob's Basic Electronics.

https://www.mheducation.com/highere...c-electronics-schultz/M9780073373874.toc.html

1) Electricity

2) Resistors

3) Ohm’s Law

4) Series Circuits

5) Parallel Circuits

6) Series-Parallel Circuits

7) Voltage Dividers and Current Dividers

8) Analog and Digital Multimeters

9) Kirchhoff ’s Laws

10) Network Theorems

11) Conductors and Insulators

12) Batteries

13) Magnetism

14) Electromagnetism

15) Alternating Voltage and Current

16) Capacitance

17) Capacitive Reactance

18) Capacitive Circuits

19) Inductance

20) Inductive Reactance

21) Inductive Circuits

22) RC and L/R Time Constants

23) Alternating Current Circuits

24) Complex Numbers for AC Circuits

25) Resonance

26) Filters

27) Diodes and Diode Applications

28) Bipolar Junction Transistors

29) Transistor Amplifiers

30) Field Effect Transistors

31) Power Amplifiers

32) Thyristors

33) Operational Amplifiers

Appendix A - Electrical Symbols and Abbreviations

Appendix B - Solder and the Soldering Process

Appendix C - Listing of Preferred Resistance Values

Appendix D - Component Schematic Symbols

Appendix E - Using the Oscilloscope

Appendix F - Introduction to MultiSIM

Glossary

Answers - Self-Tests

Answers - Odd-Numbered Problems and Critical Thinking Problems

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'd recommend "hands on" to start - see what you can find in your area - that includes "lab" time...

Unless you want to buy a meter and a scope and parts to play with and a power supply and... etc...

*I attended a "trade school" age 30, worked with those little skills until age 49 in Telecom, and managed to retire somewhat early in 2002.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'd recommend "hands on" to start - see what you can find in your area - that includes "lab" time...

Unless you want to buy a meter and a scope and parts to play with and a power supply and... etc...

*I attended a "trade school" age 30, worked with those little skills until age 49 in Telecom, and managed to retire somewhat early in 2002.

I am in a similar situation to the OP, where I know that to get beyond the very basics, I need to actually start digging into things...so I got a scope, bought a few books (one mentioned above), and this will be my fall/winter project...

It seems the older I get, the more areas of ignorance I find!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think these two books on the fundamentals of hearing might help audiophiles more than understanding electronics.

I'm sure he doesn't remember. @j_j suggested them to me on the old Usenet groups maybe 20 years ago. Maybe he has better more up to date suggestions.

Unlike most I purchased them, and studied them. Again the basics aren't different and earlier editions are less expensive. Unlike electronics there may be new material in newer editions.

Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing by Brian C.J. Moore
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0125056281/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fundamentals of Hearing by William A. Yost
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0127756957/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LINK to Excellent website (DIYGeezer.com) with truly excellent tutorials on building amps with Anaview (formerly Abletec) Class D amplifier modules. (Anaview is an excellent, though less well-known competitor of ICEpower and Hypex.)

Anaview.jpg

However, I chose to use a ready-made Ghent Audio case (below) for my ICEpower stereo amp rather than drill and cut holes in a generic case. (I've got the case, but have not yet ordered the ICEpower 200ASC and 200AS modules from Parts Express.)

Ghent ASC200 Kit.jpg

Top Bottom