• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

diy balanced cables

merlin2049er

I'm trying to build a balanced cable for a Sabaj Da3. I've got the connectors (2x 3pin xlrs and one trrs plug with 4 poles on it)
Just need to figure out how to wire it up?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I did a quick google and it seems to be this:

images

So use a meter to match the rear of the jack to the front per above diagram. Then R- and R+ go into one headphone input and vice versa.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh for the headphone side we need to know the model to determine which pin is which. Alternatively you can use an ohm meter and test different pairs of connections in the XLR to see which one shows a low reading. That is the real connection and the third pin is not used.

OP
M

merlin2049er

Ok, thanks. I'll need to find a wire and hopefully be able to solder these tiny wires to the pins.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Try BlueJeans cable in Seattle. I used to build my own cables, but by the time I ordered high quality connectors & cable and soldered it up, it cost me close to $50 per cable. They build custom cables for me for about the same as it what it would cost to do it myself. I have no business relationship with them other than being a long-time happy customer.
In fact, they just built me a cable for my Audeze LCD-2 headphones, which have unique 4-pin latching mini-XLRs at the headphones. Audeze wants $150 for a fragile cable that falls apart in a year or two. Aftermarket cables cost twice that and more. BlueJeans built one much higher quality than Audeze, for less than half the price.

Top Bottom