• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

diy active 2.0 bookshelf speakers + raspberry pi with dac.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
You missed the link up thread - tested here with a golfing panther, although benefiting from some minor eq which the Heissmann probably won't need, and at a lower price than it's available this side of the Atlantic.
Whoops. Well, distortion is okay, but directivity is quite pathetic for a 3-way. Better go for the solution benefiting from the still legendary Seas DXT.

OP
V

Vavilen

Alright, guys. I almost pressed the "buy" button for the DXT, but my girlfriend said that she doesn't like the baffle form.
Any other options within the same budget and similar quality?
Thanks!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Mark K's ER18DXT perhaps? Probably fails on not having ready-machined kit available - it can use a Parts Express box, but you'd still have to route the recesses in the baffle unless you can find someone to do it for you, and source the other bits. I don't know what that would add up to now either. There aren't many kits that have that detail of measurement, or that level of performance.

obkook

FYI - last year I built the C-Note kit as an active pair of speakers using their knockdown flatpack cabinet and the Dayton Audio amp here.

They turned out great for the cost, level of fun, and their intended purpose. It is currently attached to the TV, Switch, and streaming music via Plex, as well as BT from an occasional phone.

For my main 2 channel audio system, I built an RPi (3) streamer with the Tone DAC and am using it as a Plexamp endpoint. I have both a Plex server and an LMS (Squeezebox) server and could use it with either platform, but I really like the Plex interface better.

I'm not sure if I can share links here, but this is a short video (before clearcoat and buffing) showing it in gloss white with the amp in back. These will not replace my serious listening system but I'm pretty impressed by the sound-to-cost ratio. Add the "fun factor" of DIY and they are off the charts! :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UwDnYcVhU6XPx2Vs9

Last edited:

Skeptischism

Yes, my respect for Siegfried prevents me from saying what I really think about how they look. all of them are, even when you throw as much money as possible at the design, like with the alloy and wood version of the LX521. they clearly spent a LOT of time and money on the design of these, but .... . the LX4sub boxes look good. I bet they sound amazing, or at least BIG.

Top Bottom