• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY 8ch x 100W power amp with microprocessor control

Sokel

Master Contributor
Going from a balanced pre amp to an unbalanced power amp is not as easy as the other way around.
You probably need something else in between.That's a very old problem.

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Note though that I am going from XLR-or-RCA preamp output to RCA power amp input for five of the channels. So my question is about going the other way.
In that case I would use the RCA output of the pre with an RCA cable to the amp. The benefit of pseudo balancing only applies to an amp’s input. Hopefully in the preamp the output is managed properly. Often the device itself is single ended internally and the xlr output has been made up electronically. Unless the cables runs are very long there can be no benefit to using them.

Carousel

Thank you! Will go only XLR-to-XLR and RCA-to-RCA at least at first. Just waiting for the gear now!

mathiasb

Interesting project, how is it going? I'm building an 8ch amp with 4 of the same boards. No micro controller or anything fancy though.

OP
M

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting project, how is it going? I'm building an 8ch amp with 4 of the same boards. No micro controller or anything fancy though.
The amp is great. I did have to rework the music detect function a little as the ADC noise was too high to take raw input, so I needed to add a gain stage to the sense input.

Top Bottom