• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dither button on or off with the word clock?

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Hi all, new member here, and hoping to learn a lot from some of you... and of course opinionate on occasions....

Anyone have any idea whether it's better to run your word clock with the dither button on vs off? dCS, who make mine told me to just push it and leave it engaged, but the nerd in me wants to understand why? I watched a few good videos on YouTube, but that's like staying at the holiday in express...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did some quick reading and their advice is correct. Basically, dither is added to the phased lock loop clock so that it can latch onto incoming signal phase better. Once there, the dither itself is filtered out by the PLL so it doesn't impact the fidelity of the achieved clock.

OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Thanks for confirming that Amir... I thought I read something about it causing a higher noise floor and how it's actually higher with dither on.. but I probably either a) misunderstood the article, or b) this elevated noise floor is somehow a good thing to my ears ??

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought I read something about it causing a higher noise floor and how it's actually higher with dither on.. but I probably either a) misunderstood the article, or b) this elevated noise floor is somehow a good thing to my ears ??
As far as I know that's the process when you convert/down sample audio from 32bit/44.1k to 16bit audio. You will get a better sounding 16bit file with
measurable higher noise floor. (not a good explanation, but I hope it helps) Different implementations of dithering.

https://www.waves.com/audio-dithering-what-you-need-to-know
Screenshot 2020-11-27 082121.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think there is some confusion above:

Dithering the clock in a PLL is not dithering PCM samples.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think there is some confusion above:

Dithering the clock in a PLL is not dithering PCM samples.
Exactly. This has little to do with the normal concept of dither in digital audio. It is a trick to make the PLL lock better. It does not modify the audio samples the way normal dither does. It is only used for timing, not value of audio samples.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Exactly. This has little to do with the normal concept of dither in digital audio. It is a trick to make the PLL lock better. It does not modify the audio samples the way normal dither does. It is only used for timing, not value of audio samples.
That was what I was trying to say. Thanks.

Top Bottom