• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ditch the monitor speaker reflex port for a 2.1 system with a sub-woofer

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello All,

We all have seen an increasing list of speaker reviews here on ASR. Most of these speakers are of the size that you can tuck under one arm and carry about the house and place on your desk or work bench.

Most if not all of these speakers are of the bass-reflex description. Because of the size of these speakers they all show increasing distortion in the bass frequencies and negative reflex port effects in the ASR reviews.

I am a DIY type of guy and for some reason I spend more time listening to the DIY 0.5 cubic foot speakers on my bench than anything else. These speakers are 2-way with Peerless 830990 6 ½ inch GFC cones and XT25… tweeters with 2 kHz JBL old school crossovers. What these speakers are missing is a reflex port, they are sealed with a F3 of ~ 85Hz. played alone, driven by a rehabbed NAD power amplifier, these speakers are bass shy. Under the bench on the shelf next to the NAD Amp is a powered Parasound 8 inch sub.

Step up; does anyone else prefer to ditch the monitor speaker reflex port for a 2.1 system with a sub-woofer?

Thanks DT

OP
D

DualTriode

Bass reflex gives LESS distortion, not more. (As long as you have a proper highpass filter, of course).

Do you read the ASR reviews? Show the test results of small desk top reflex speakers producing less distortion, let alone bass in the first place.

Many if not all of the monitor, desk top, bookshelf type struggle producing bass.

My thought is remove the attempt at bass from the the smallish desk top speakers and send it to the sub-woofer.

Thanks DT

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Do you read the ASR reviews? Show the test results of small desk top reflex speakers producing less distortion, let alone bass in the first place.
Less distortion than what? Show a comparison of the same small speaker sealed and ported.

Many if not all of the monitor, desk top, bookshelf type struggle producing bass.
Genelec 8030C here, no problem at nearfield volumes.

My thought is remove the attempt at bass from the the smallish desk top speakers and send it to the sub-woofer.

Thanks DT
If you highpass the monitors, why does it matter if it's being ported or not? Unless you're talking about leakage too, and not only distortion per se.

Anyway, the principle of bass reflex is well known, and it's less excursion (thus distortion) at the tuning frequency and above, and massively more under, along with a steeper roll-off than sealed. The implementation is everything, for porting.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
. . . The implementation is everything, for porting.

Yet, so many, after all this time, do it poorly.

Of course the main issue is trying to get <40Hz out of passive desktop sized speakers, built to a price point.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

posvibes

My favourite set up is infinite baffle bookshelf speakers full stop. I have never used a subwoofer, not interested in the least.

I sometimes wonder (considering the music I most often listen to and the volume at which I listen to music) how much useful bass I really need.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My favourite set up is infinite baffle bookshelf speakers full stop.

Absolutely agree with this, especially for @DualTriode 's implementation at a workbench/lab/desk. My monitor speakers for testing are Yamaha NS-100X. Little ported 2 ways are useless for audible distortion testing, dynamics, power handling or problems that result in rapid woofer vc offsets. A sealed, decent size infinite baffle is superior in every respect in that implementation.

Not sure why he wants a powered subwoofer at a work bench, but at least you can turn it off when testing.

For general music listening, sure little 2 way reflex design are lots of fun, but THD has never been their strong point.

Last edited:

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
My favourite set up is infinite baffle bookshelf speakers full stop. I have never used a subwoofer, not interested in the least.

I sometimes wonder (considering the music I most often listen to and the volume at which I listen to music) how much useful bass I really need.
Absolutely agree with this, especially for @DualTriode 's implementation at a workbench/lab/desk. My monitor speakers for testing are Yamaha NS-100X. Little ported 2 ways are useless for audible distortion testing, dynamics, power handling or problems that result in rapid woofer vc offsets. A sealed, decent size infinit baffle is superior in every respect in that implementation.

Not sure why he wants a powered subwoofer at a work bench, but at least you can turn it off when testing.

For general music listening, sure little 2 way reflex design are lots of fun, but THD has never been their strong point.

Gentlemen, I am 100% in agreement.

Given the market choices, are we a dying demographic?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Gentlemen, I am 100% in agreement.

Given the market choices, are we a dying demographic?

At the moment yes, but speakers tend to do full circles every 30 years or so. What's old is new again.

Two ways, three ways, four ways. Sealed vs ported. 12",15" woofers, then 2x10", 2x8", 3x6.5" woofers. Powered vs passive. And passive radiators are coming back!

Not to mention every material known to man has been used, and re-used as the "latest". Look at berylium- ah, it was done in 1974 and the midranges (Yamaha) have never been bettered.

OP
D

DualTriode

At the moment yes, but speakers tend to do full circles every 30 years or so. What's old is new again.

Two ways, three ways, four ways. Sealed vs ported. 12",15" woofers, then 2x10", 2x8", 3x6.5" woofers. Powered vs passive. And passive radiators are coming back!

Not to mention every material known to man has been used, and re-used as the "latest". Look at berylium- ah, it was done in 1974 and the midranges (Yamaha) have never been bettered.

Hello All,

Sometimes a F3 of 85Hz is not deep enough for the videos on line. On the other hand a F3 of 85Hz is just fine for watching @amirm ‘s ASR video reviews.

The powered sub under the bench adds a lot. It is okay sometimes to turn it off too.

Thanks DT

Then other times the 2.1 on the bench is not enough. Then you need something that will put out some real, undistorted, dB’s.

JBL 2242 sub-woofers 18 inch

JBL 2226 woofers 15 inch Aperiodic Vents

JBL 2123 mids 10 inch sealed

JBL D2 compression drivers with M2 horns

Driven by Crown amplifiers

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Elac, Triangle, Wharfdale, Q Acoustics, Klipsch, KEF, etc. How many options do you want?

You'll have to be more specific. Particular model(s)?

Last edited:

Hon

I'm finding that even a smallish sub can be a welcome addition to any pair of smallish speakers, vented or closed box. I've had both kinds in my cave and have been sometimes surprised at their bass performance until I realized that it was largely because of the sub's contribution.

Top Bottom