• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion- Headphones or the Source?

Shanman

Forum Donor
I am completely new to dabbling with headphones and know nothing in regards to many here.

I recently acquired a new set of Sennheiser HD560S because of the decent price at the time, and reviews here. When I EQ the cans via my old Adcom preamp, a GTP-500II, bass distortion is readily heard at sane listening volumes.

How do I know if the distortion I am hearing is the headphones or my amp built into the Adcom?

The cans are 120 ohms and looking at my original manual specs on the Adcom I can't find any rating on the headphone output section. The manual does briefly mention "the jack has its own amplifier to power the headphones being used". Fairly useless info. Thanks for any help, I want to give these Senns a fair shake before I decide to return them. I don't have a dedicated headphone amp, and the other testing options I have could be a Denon AVR-X3300 or an Arcam AVR 350. Any help greatly appreciated!

Katji

Major Contributor
It's probably the headphones. How much bass boost is there? You could try doing the EQ with EAPO, adjust the bass boost until it isn't so distorted.

OP
Shanman

Shanman

Forum Donor
Thanks, I keep flip flopping between the 560S and some ancient Fostex headphones I snagged from my father to have something to compare the Senns to. I can’t get the Fostex T20's to distort, but they don’t have the bass extension or the comfort the Sennheisers have.

I am listening to them flat on the Arcam preamp by the way.

Last edited:
F

freemansteve

What is the source of your music? Are you certain it's not already distorted and just being made more obvious by EQ? For example, rips without mp3gain or replaygain can sometimes clip.

Also, what output on the amp are you using? One that is not intended for phones, such as a line out, may not have enough current to drive 120ohm ? phones....

Katji

Major Contributor
...well, i'm going have to assume/guess the source is not computer and the Adcom preamp has some sort of 5-band equalizer.

OP
Shanman

Shanman

Forum Donor
5 band EQ? Sheesh, I haven't thought of that in 35 years when the eq "booster" was popular in car audio. No, I am using a legacy Adcom preamp, specs to the headphone output are not in the actual spec sheet I have. My source material is cd and vinyl. Sometimesultra HD files from Amazon Prime via Chromecast Audio.

20220331_064919.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
So where is the EQ happening then?

OP
Shanman

Shanman

Forum Donor
Tone controls on the Adcom itself.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tone controls on the Adcom itself.
Headphone jacks with a high output impedance, can cause a bloated (louder, less detailed) base.
Have you tried plugging the headphones into a smartphone?
Modern headphones seem to be designed to work well with smartphones, so using less voltage, but might require more current.
The old Adcom's headphone jack might be great for voltage, but not so much for current (guessing).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll just add that I've got 3 units of HD560s, they are super good in the bass after EQ in terms of definition.....better than all of my open backed headphones and about on par with my planar open back HE4XX for bass definition after EQ. Either you listen super loud and are at the same time putting huge amounts of bass EQ through them too....or it's something else in your chain.....that would be my intuition because HD560s is good for bass in my experience & also from the low distortion measurements. Oratory measured one of my HD560s units and it has low distortion in the bass (& everywhere else):
HD560s Distortion.png

Top Bottom