• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion down to -300 dB, what exactly does that mean physically?

beagleman

Major Contributor
The new up to date term you guys are looking for is "Voodoo Quantum Mechanics". Remember, you heard it from me first! It is the reason that we hear so much stuff that is not measurable. Until we delve into this and really understand it, audio will not progress. Some leaders in this important field are Shinyata and Audioquest. Serious cutting edge research being done by both companies. So, get your mind ready to understand Voodoo Quantum Mechanics. Oh, and under this larger and more inclusive term is the Voodoo Quantum Entanglement science. Thank heavens for Audioquest and Shinyata saving the day for audiophiles!

I assume this is sarcasm?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume this is sarcasm?
Sarcasm? Then explain why the Bybee Quantum Purifier works so well.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Sarcasm? Then explain why the Bybee Quantum Purifier works so well.

DUDE you broke my sarcasm meter. It turned blue and exploded! The arc across the terminals afterwards was epic.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Ok. 1 atmosphere pressure wave is 194dB SPL.
Ok. Noise floor of atmosphere at the eardrum, broadband white noise, is 6 dB to 8 dB SPL. If you look at the sensitivity of the ear at the ear canal where the ear is most sensitive, you can hear down to about -10dB SPL in that range of hearing.

Note: That's (*&(& quiet and there is currently no place on earth except maybe a few caves deep underground that are that quiet. Outside, wind is always higher. Under anyplace airplanes fly, fergitaboutit.

194dB pressure wave destroys your hearing, your house, your windows, your trees, and most likely YOU.

So -300dB, well, it's below particulate noise at the eardrum, even using best case perfect hearing for a young person with no noise exposure whatsover, is about 290dB below the noise level of the atmosphere.

Draw your own conclusions.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
For some silliness in this area see:

When I go to the little airport prior to getting a tow in my glider, the Sky Divers next door often are already active.

It's surprising (to me) how well you can hear them while they are still a couple of thousand feet (or more) above.

Last edited:

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
For some silliness in this area see:

When I go to the little airport prior to getting a tow in my glider, the Sky Divers next door often are already active.

It's surprising (to me) how well you can hear them while they are still a couple of thousand feet (or more) above.
Straight path with no diffusion or occlusion.

Top Bottom