• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion and Max SPL of Arendal 1723 Monitor S / 1723 Center S ?

Bt_1234

I‘ve been very intrigued by Erin’s reviews of the Arendal 1961 Bookshelf and 1961 Tower.

But since I like to have a little bit more headroom (dedicated and acoustically treated HT room, listening position about 3m/10ft away), my focus is on the 1723 Monitor S.

On almost every forum on the internet those Arendal speakers are praised for their dynamics and high output capabilities.

But I have strong doubts…

• When looking @hardisj‘s review of the 1723 Bookshelf S (see review), you can see that distortion rises quite early at 96dB@1m (especially in the range of 200-1000 Hz, up to -35dB). And this is only @1m, in my listening postion ~3m away, 96dB is no more than ~87dB, far less than reference level. And most likely, as SPL increases, distortion will increase further.

• Moreover, since the 1723S speakers are THX Ultra certified, one might assume they‘re capable of achieving 105dB reference level @ 12ft. However, with a measured (anechoic) sensitivity of only 81.6dB @ 2.83V/1m for the 1723 Bookshelf S and a recommended amplification of up to 250W by the manufacturer, you hardly achieve reference level even at 1m (with 250W and the measured sensitivity, I calculated max SPL and it would only amount to 102.58dB@1m !).

Afaik, the 1723 Monitor S is just like the 1723 Bookshelf S, but with a second mid-woofer.
Is it possible to infer from the distortion results of the Bookshelf S to those of the Monitor S (with the second mid-woofer)? Something like „distortion graphs are likely to be 5dB lower below the crossover region“ or so…?

I only found one measurement of the 1723 Monitor S: https://arendalsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Arendal-MonitorS-AR413.pdf.
Here, on the third page, it seems that 2nd and 3rd harmonics are <= -50dB for 100Hz+ @90dB, but I doubt it was using Klippel and hence I’m afraid the results might be less reliable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom