• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Discrete OpAmp Review: Sonic Imagery vs Sparkos

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
[(VJ928W7J(3IYY38WJLN4K.png

THD+N

X]DU$XS(EQ4%S(}HRM4XWWJ.png

THD no N just for consistency and resolution

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Good work John,
Why topology did the you implement to get these numbers? Usually one of the improvements discrete offers is current delivery. Was this a prioritized parameter?

engie490

I noticed in Purifi's specs that the input impedance is 2.2K unbalanced and 4.4K balanced. Not exactly universally compatible with all preamps.

It would be interesting to know what the input impedances are for the Sparkos and Sonic Imagery opamps. Hopefully significantly higher...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed in Purifi's specs that the input impedance is 2.2K unbalanced and 4.4K balanced. Not exactly universally compatible with all preamps.

It would be interesting to know what the input impedances are for the Sparkos and Sonic Imagery opamps. Hopefully significantly higher...
Depends on the buffer board but they usually are around the standard 47k ohms.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

diyaudnut

@JohnYang1997 is your discrete design showing up in any product?

How about a GB for a mono buffer board for purifi amps. I know it's wishful thinking given your designs are likely owned by topping.
But I felt there is no harm in checking with you.

diyaudnut

BTW I believe Bruno included his own discrete input buffer stage design in the NC400 modules. They measure great and to my ears sound subjectively fantastic.

Califmike33

You guys are a bunch of idiots that you sit here and follow measurements to make your decisions on item the sparkos op amps sound absolutely amazing I don't care what your measurements say.

Whoever started this channel it's a complete scam and a racket that you got people hanging on measurements instead of listening to the item.

I put these amps inside my EVGA nu sound card the difference is absolutely nothing short of amazing I don't care what your charts and graphs measure what the ear hears the ear doesn't pick up on charts and graphs.

This is such a b******* freaking website.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Sam Spade

What could you perceive in a subjective test that can't be seen in the measurements? I'd argue any perceptible subjective difference points to inaccurate or incomplete testing and would require a change to the testing methodology. No offense, but I'd have to see some see tests on your personal hearing ability before believing a subjective test has value.

I'm all for measurements. And it is obvious what some measurements mean. But listening to music is an emotional activity. Come back once you can explain to me how the measurements explain the human emotional response to music. You seem to simplistically worship numbers that you don't understand in the human emotional context. In contrast, I could plunge your hand into boiling water and predict your emotional and physiological response. But I bet you have no idea what measured threshold values makes someone cry at the opera, or urinate in their pants at a Britney Spears concert, or start to mosh, or even tap their foot. :)

nstzya

You guys are a bunch of idiots that you sit here and follow measurements to make your decisions on item the sparkos op amps sound absolutely amazing I don't care what your measurements say.

Whoever started this channel it's a complete scam and a racket that you got people hanging on measurements instead of listening to the item.

I put these amps inside my EVGA nu sound card the difference is absolutely nothing short of amazing I don't care what your charts and graphs measure what the ear hears the ear doesn't pick up on charts and graphs.

This is such a b******* freaking website.

Now that you’ve gotten that off your chest, grab another beer and tell us how you feel about masks/vaccination. We aren’t coming for your Sparkos. Turn ‘em up! Enjoy. Myself, I respect and applaud Amir’s efforts at objective measurements and doubt there’s much “racket” to be had from the site. I particularly appreciate this topic as I was a bit confused by all the options myself. Not as much now.

Toliandar

Would have been interesting to see how the TI Opa1612 would have performed as well in the custom buffer board.

As it is, if it measures worse than the eval1's buffer (fe02 iirc) which uses the Opa1612, is it because the buffer board is overall inferior or only the opamp?

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would have been interesting to see how the TI Opa1612 would have performed as well in the custom buffer board.

As it is, if it measures worse than the eval1's buffer (fe02 iirc) which uses the Opa1612, is it because the buffer board is overall inferior or only the opamp?

I would like to see the OPA1656, a burr brown sound plus chip. I've had the Burson V5i, and the V6vivid and I have no space to put a sparkos labs opamp single or dual channel. But I would still like to see the OPA1656 tested. It's a virtually unknown chip as when you search on Digi-Key it doesn't come up as soundplus. You have to load the PDF file to even learn about its existence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom