• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DISCO it were fun fun fun

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Reactions: ADU

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

OP
tomelex

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
en funner was our 7-12-1979 Disco Demolition party at Sox's Park in Chicago.
The Day That Disco Died. LOL
It finally woke up music lovers to the fact that Disco wasn't cooll and returned rock radio
to playing the best of the times. ;)

I heard someone say they like both kinds of music, country and western. I am still jamming to disco, and rock and roll, and country, and celtic and world and all kinds of stuff. The seventies were great man! And everybody had something to say.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I do like some disco sometimes! It did get a bad reputation and I knew a guy in a band who said playing disco is boring...

And I do suspect that playing records on big-good-loud sound systems contributed to improvements in record production quality. Nobody was going to play a lousy sounding record in a disco.

I didn't listen to classical but the rumor was that classical (and jazz) records had better quality than popular music and there were a few very-good sounding popular-rock records, but most were mediocre so I think the record companies just didn't care. Most of the studio recordings from the 60s & 70s were pretty good as evidenced by the better sound when they were released on CD.

Katji

Major Contributor
Gloria Gaynor, the other queen of disco...

Originally, "I Will Survive" was a B-side when Polydor Records released it in late 1978. The A-side, a song called "Substitute", then a recent worldwide hit for South African girl-group Clout, was considered more "radio friendly". Boston disco radio DJ Jack King turned the record over and recalls being stunned by what he heard: "I couldn't believe they were burying this monster hit on the B-side", stated King. "I played it and played it and my listeners went nuts!".
The massive audience response forced the record company to flip the songs, so that subsequent copies of the single listed the more popular song on the A-side.
King was honored at New York's Disco Masters Awards Show for three consecutive years (1979–1981) in recognition of his relentless push of the song. He was also named "Most Influential Radio Personality of the Year" (1980) by Rock & Records magazine. Gaynor and King each received a Grammy Award for Best Disco Recording in 1980, the only year that award was given (Gloria had to wait another 40 years for her second Grammy, in the Grammy Award for Best Roots Gospel Album category). It is ranked No. 492 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", and ranked at No. 97 on Billboard magazine's "All-Time Hot 100". In 2000, the song was ranked No. 1 in VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Dance Songs of All Time" and remains there to this day.[citation needed]

As a disco number, the song was unique for its time by virtue of Gaynor's having no background singers or lush production. And, unlike her first disco hits, the track was not pitched up to make it faster and to render Gaynor's recorded voice in a higher register than that in which she actually sang. Most disco hits at the time were heavily produced, with multiple voices, orchestrations, overdubs, and adjustments to pitch and speed.[citation needed] "I Will Survive" had a much sparer and "cleaner" sound. Had it been originally planned and released as an A-side, it would almost certainly have undergone a substantially more heavy-handed remix.[citation needed]

In late 1979, she released the album I Have a Right which contained her next disco hit, "Let Me Know (I Have a Right)", which featured Doc Severinsen of The Tonight Show fame, playing a trumpet solo. Gaynor also recorded a disco song called "Love Is Just a Heartbeat Away" in 1979 for the cult vampire film Nocturna: Granddaughter of Dracula, which featured a number of disco songs.

ADU

Major Contributor
I do like some disco sometimes! It did get a bad reputation and I knew a guy in a band who said playing disco is boring...

And I do suspect that playing records on big-good-loud sound systems contributed to improvements in record production quality. Nobody was going to play a lousy sounding record in a disco.

I didn't listen to classical but the rumor was that classical (and jazz) records had better quality than popular music and there were a few very-good sounding popular-rock records, but most were mediocre so I think the record companies just didn't care. Most of the studio recordings from the 60s & 70s were pretty good as evidenced by the better sound when they were released on CD.

Whether they want to admit it or not, most major rock artists of the 70's and early 80's were influenced in some ways by disco. And many released tracks that were played at the dance clubs. This included Queen, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Wings, Blondie, Bowie, KISS, Rod Stewart, The Clash, and many more.

Although I listened to a fair amount of disco and dance tracks in the 1970's and early 1980's, and went to the clubs, I was really more into rock & roll, funk and soul at the time. The genre has stayed with me though. And my appreciation for some of its pioneers and hidden gems has grown over time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom