• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Disassembly of psb Alpha B1 bookshelf speakers

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's cold and windy outside, I'm bored, my hands are itching to do something, so here I am.

The psb Alpha B1 are my first "decent" speakers, purchased at a retail price of $299 CAD/pr. Needless to say that I have long outgrown them in the ten years since, and I'm fed up with trying to offload them through my local classifieds, so here I am ripping them apart.

I am not a speaker reviewer by any means.

Overview

D3X_3562.JPG

Yes I took this picture after having removed the screws. There was also a metal mesh grille on this speaker that couldn't be removed normally: I pried them off using a thin flathead screwdriver.

The first thing that struck me (and probably you too) is how close the tweeter and woofer are placed together. The second thing that struck me is how recessed they are into the front baffle. See that curved lip up top? Well it's the same thing at the bottom, and the grille is curved to conform to that. There are also raised lips on the straight sides. Diffraction central? You be the judge. All I know is the sound quality of these speakers fall the heck apart when I try to play them at rock-out levels.

Also I have no idea why there is an array of dimples up top where the tweeter is. Some manufacturers put dimples into their tweeter waveguides though is this clearly not the case here.

Tweeter

D3X_3551.JPG

This is a one-inch unit. psb calls it "aluminium dome". Yeah, uh, it's not. It looks like a silk unit with a metallic coating. The surround looks to be part of the driver's weave.

The... triangular diffuser looks more like something designed to dampen/smother the treble. It's not touching the tweeter, but it's close. Very close.

D3X_3553.JPG

Here you have the back of the tweeter unit. Yes I yanked out one of the connector spades by accident. Anyway, it's a shielded unit solidly glued into the plastic base. I have no idea whether it's a custom-built driver, or some off-the-shelf unit with psb's branding on it. Considering the price of these speakers, it's probably the latter.

(Mid)Woofer

D3X_3552.JPG

A 5 1/2 inch poly unit with a metallic coating. Quite an interesting unit because of how unusually deep it is. Also note the ogive-shaped dust cap. It's very rigid. I couldn't deform the dust cap by pinching the sides. The surround is rubber.

D3X_3555.JPG

Here is the back of the woofer. Yes the motor is taller than the stamped basket; it's not just the angle of my photo. Note how this unit isn't visibly vented. Some woofer units have vent holes at the coil area of the cone; this is not the case here. The spider appears to be of good quality; the tinsel leads look like woven copper. Also note the paper-thin foam "gasket" that barely does anything to seal the woofer unit to the front baffle. Again, this is probably an off-the-shelf part with psb's marking on it.

Cabinet

D3X_3557.JPG

Holy poly-fill, Batman! There are four sheets of poly-fill in this cabinet, each an inch thick when uncompressed.

Crossover

D3X_3561.JPG

The crossover appears to be a second-order unit with two caps, an air core and an iron core, plus a resistor for level-matching. Also note the rear baffle. It is a piece of plastic that sounds as hollow as it looks. The front baffle is the same thing, which probably explains the large amount of poly-fill in this cabinet.

Conclusion

These things sound great when played at easy-listening levels. At rock-out levels the sound quality just collapses. Diffraction? Comb filtering? Cone breakup? I think cone breakup definitely plays a part because of how disturbingly flexible the woofer diaphragm is, despite the very rigid dust cap.

Now to dispose of all that poly-fill without spreading those yellow fibres everywhere...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
There are so many of these reviews I'm stumbling across only when going through old threads.

Nice work here @NTomokawa

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
take that Nikon lens apart too

OP
NTomokawa

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
take that Nikon lens apart too
That's a Tokina lens, and I have ripped apart a Tokina lens before.

Not that one, of course.

RemLezar

Interesting, I have a pair of PSB Alpha from 1995 that I use at my computer desk. I got them fairly cheap and have always enjoyed them. I don't push them very hard since I'm quite close to them. I wonder if the drivers being together like that would benefit near field listening? I have no idea what mine look like under the grill except that it's a 1/2" tweeter (poly-flare dome) and 6-1/2" woofer (poly w/ foam surround). They were apparently made in Canada, at that time, as well.

OP
NTomokawa

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Do you have enough power?
45wpc restored vintage Luxman amp.

It drove my Energy ESM-2 speakers (disassembly to come) to ear-splitting levels without their sound falling apart.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Let me explain, this speaker looks ok. But shurly it is not a effenciency wonder. And that complete break down at higher SPL is usually not enough power from the amp.

Putter

Forum Donor
Let me explain, this speaker looks ok. But surely it is not a efficiency wonder. And that complete break down at higher SPL is usually not enough power from the amp.

Actually the ESM has a rated SPL of 86 dB SPL/w/m while the PSB has a nominal rating of 89 dB SPL/w/m although Stereophile found it as 86. The Energy ESM would likely test lower than its nominal sensitivity. In any case they have simialr sensitivities.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I dont know the motor is a shilded one. So the 'woofer' looks not impressive to me. And 86dB also not. For 96dB you need 10w. This speakers are not build for fun ; ).

OP
NTomokawa

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Chances are I'm just hitting the limits of these budget-priced speakers.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
45w on a amp is realy not much. With unefficient speakers you come easely on there limit, and if you reach it, ........

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I didnt look at everythink. But maybe the impedance of this speaker is getting low at some point?

bigx5murf

I had a pair of these as well. Snap had a pair of larger psb bookshelf speakers with silk dome tweeters. I remember them being easy to unload, both sold within weeks of listings them. I never opened mine up though. I also had a pair of mission speakers with plastic waffle baffles. Those didn't even have any filling.

x21

The tweeter is definitely aluminum. I accidentally punctured one on my pair. Thankfully I was able to get a replacement.

Top Bottom