• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Disappearing Dirac

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So after the latest involuntary system update from M$ (W10), Dirac Live and all of my project files have disappeared from my computer. Has anyone else experienced this? @Flak

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your project files are unfortunately stored in the documents, which could be erased or moved when you install a new Operating system.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Your project files are unfortunately stored in the documents, which could be erased or moved when you install a new Operating system.
I didn't install a new OS, this was just one of M$'s updates to W10. On reflection, I installed an update to BluOS a few days ago and maybe that's the culprit?

To be clear, nothing else has gone missing, just Dirac and all of its associated files.

cochlea

Forum Donor
I don’t know if this is related to your problem, but about a year ago MS released an update that was randomly deleting or moving users files. In the case of moved files, uninstalling the update seemed to fix the problem. Also, if you haven’t already, you could do a search for one of the files (if you know the name.) MS updates continue to be a frustrating experience, and Windows 11 isn’t any better.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don’t know if this is related to your problem, but about a year ago MS released an update that was randomly deleting or moving users files. In the case of moved files, uninstalling the update seemed to fix the problem. Also, if you haven’t already, you could do a search for one of the files (if you know the name.) MS updates continue to be a frustrating experience, and Windows 11 isn’t any better.
Yeah, "search" was the first thing I did.

My fix is re-installing the software and re-running my measurements, but I was curious if anyone else had this happen. And as I said in my l'esprit d'escalier, it might be connected to the BluOS update.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't install a new OS, this was just one of M$'s updates to W10. On reflection, I installed an update to BluOS a few days ago and maybe that's the culprit?
Depending on the exact versions involved, a Win10 update effectively can be a new OS install. Might be worth checking for a C:\Windows.old folder, though Documents should not be moved there. "Should."

I'm no fan of how MS has handled updates & QA over the last few years, but they are fighting statistics here. With hundreds of millions of installs, even 99.99% reliability causes trouble for many thousands of users.

Finally, let's recall the 2 types of computer users:
1) Those who make regular backups.
2) Those who have not yet lost important data.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Windows usually makes a restore point when any major updates are made to either Windows or other programs.
Might be worth checking yo see if you can restore it to a previous date.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yeah, I went for a restore but no soap radio. I back up, but it was easier just to reinstall and remeasure (which I did, I've done this so many times, it's a 15 minute process at most) than to restore via a backup. Really, I'm just curious if anyone else experienced this.

Top Bottom