• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Disagreement

Tks

Major Contributor
Moral of the story, if you want to try and convince someone, it’s best if you try to find common ground first and foremost.

One interesting tidbit was how each side perceives folks who agree with them and the way such folks act when disputing with the side that doesn’t. (We’re less concerned about for instance how audiophiles behave when there is a debate, but are far more focused on how our side -like Amir- behaves and come across, so if he’s acting nervous or shaken in his replies, that has an effect on us for example if we take the side of “objectivist” for instance).

It’s worth the read.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The article really doesn't say much. And it goes off the rails right after the Polarised Society sub-heading. The interpretations from then on are rather tenuous.

A much more informative, well founded, and practically useful read is this book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014DUR7L2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Research and experience are combined to show some rudimentary necessities to reach agreement. That is much more important than telling me disagreeing people have less influence on me than those who agree. It is reaching an agreement when there isn't one that is useful and important. Especially if you are trying to repair a relationship that has been somewhat broken by a disagreement.

JustPoo

There was an experiment called "Germany Talks", which has now been expanded throughout the EU, you may have heard of it. I believe they've expanded under the umbrella name "My Country Talks", or maybe even "The World Talks" by now. People filled out an online questionnaire on their political beliefs about particularly contentious issues. They were given the option to tick a box if they were willing to meet in person and discuss the topics with someone who held opposing views. There was no audience, no crowd to play to, to jeer or cheer, thumbs up their thoughts. It was just two people who disagreed sitting down and having a conversation. Over two thirds said they learned something about their partner's attitudes. Nearly two thirds said their viewpoints converged. 90% of the couples enjoyed the conversation (2% didn't and 8% didn't show up!). I wonder what those figures would look like if the discussions were public and online, not private and face to face. Remove anonymity and an audience and, shock, we're far more understanding and civil. There aren't many punch ups at audio-meets. So, who's up for "Audiophiles Talk"? Hello? :D

Top Bottom