• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Directiva r2 project: market requirements gathering

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Suggest we need clearer ties between the benefits of different directivity features with their benefits.
Totally agree. That would really help in defining an engineering target.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The quest for more/better directivity reminds me of a question from one of my mentors. Do you want more cheese on your pizza?

In my experience, more/better/controlled directivity is a feature without a clear benefit. Once you have god directivity, how much better is to have more or different? ;)...

Suggest we need clearer ties between the benefits of different directivity features with their benefits.
Using specially made custom wave guide for the tweeter and a narrow baffle it is possible to have controlled directivity above around 400Hz.

It is possible to integrate an extended range "subwoofer" that works up to 400Hz that is made of multiple drive units on that narrow baffle.

That is similar to Revel Performa 3 which I suggest the route we take for r2.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As you use a 15" driver I assume you want to control directivity to around 50Hz? 8C controls directivity above 100 Hz. You will need a very large acoustic filter to work at such a low level. I personally don't know of a material that works such low levels but mechanical filters may work.

Here's a clearer difference with some contour lines drawn. It works pretty well in the bass range. There was no clear goal but trying to understand what happens practically speaking with these systems. I made 3 or 4 versions. Some more succesful than others.
ezgif-3-09bace9378a0.gif

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a clearer difference with some contour lines drawn. It works pretty well in the bass range. There was no clear goal but trying to understand what happens practically speaking with these systems. I made 3 or 4 versions. Some more succesful than others.
View attachment 160492
How do you reduce 20Hz at 180 degrees by almost 10dB and where have you measured that?

Is that a simulation or actual measurements?

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that a simulation or measurements?

How do you reduce 20Hz at 180 degrees by almost 10dB?

Oh these are measurements. I don't have any software to simulate this.

ME Geithain produces similar results in their loudspeaker in a similar way.

1634842232816.png

1634842258000.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Using specially made custom wave guide for the tweeter and a narrow baffle it is possible to have controlled directivity above around 400Hz.
How would that work on a baffle that is only 30cm wide at best? What kind of special is that waveguide to make that work?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How would that work on a baffle that is only 30cm wide at best? What kind of special is that waveguide to make that work?
Just look at the D&D 8C front

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very interested to understand how you have achieved 10dB cancellation at 180 degrees and at 20Hz. Can you share us the details?

Basically the entire space behind the driver is absolutely stuffed with compressed rockwool, to the point where there's just eough space for the driver. The rest is what you see. There's no secrets.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? That waveguide does not control pattern down to 400Hz. It doesn’t need to, crossover is at 1250Hz.
I copied what I said below.

I think I made it pretty clear that I was talking about a waveguide for the tweeter.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically the entire space behind the driver is absolutely stuffed with compressed rockwool, to the point where there's just eough space for the driver. The rest is what you see. There's no secrets.
So it is a closed box with extra high compliance? That is nothing different to any sealed box, which has an omnidirectional polar pattern below around 70Hz. Stuffed rockwool will simply increase the effective internal volume, nothing else.

How and where did you measure the speakers?

dc655321

Major Contributor
Using the forum's Search feature to explore thread titles containing "8C" or "Cardioid" is a great way to dig a little deeper.
Much has been covered locally...

c.f. this

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I copied what I said below.

I think I made it pretty clear that I was talking about a waveguide for the tweeter.
Again: how does that give us directivity down to 400 Hz? The baffle step of the 8C is about 450Hz, so yes it does some pattern “control”, but at that point it already radiates 180 def. It won’t match the waveguide. So yes there is some control, but it’s much wider that one would like to see in a constant directivity system. In any case any baffle of the same size will do this, there is no magic in the D&D.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So it is a closed box with extra high compliance? That is nothing different to any sealed box, which has an omnidirectional polar pattern below around 70Hz. Stuffed rockwool will simply increase the effective internal volume, nothing else.

How and where did you measure the speakers?
The point of the stuffing is not the volume increase, but rather the slowdown of the sound wave so that they come out of the slots delayed enough to cause the cardioid effect.

D!sco

Had a thought for the bass extension cabinet. Haven't really been through the hard part, but this SB Acoustics 8" sub is designed to work in a .5 cu ft sealed enclosure, like the one the R1 was built in. It could be fitted below in a 3-way configuration and DSP controlled. I'd need to model the R1 frequencies and x-over to start digging in though.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

How did you measure the speakers?

Did you not see the pictures I posted before? It's exactly the same principle as used by D&D.

1634843482334.png

In bad weather I measure in an old church, using gated measurements. In good weather I'd like to move outside from some groundplane measurements. The gated measurements are certainly not perfect in terms of resolution, although relative levels still come out well.

1634843668952.png

Since then I've got a better mic stand ..

1634843726922.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The point of the stuffing is not the volume increase, but rather the slowdown of the sound wave so that they come out of the slots delayed enough to cause the cardioid effect.
I was asking information about the the slots, which is the crucial part contrary to what @TimVG says, the "secret"

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was asking information about the the slots, which is the crucial part contrary to what @TimVG says, the "secret"

The slots are just what you see. Simple slots of a certain length and width, no thicker than the material itself.
Combined with a lot of rockwool between the slots and the driver. If one has time, one can experiment with the size and location of the slot(s) and the damping material until the desired pattern is achieved.

Top Bottom