• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Directiva r2 monitor prototype build

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is anybody around ASR trying the extended directivity goal going from the R1 template or other high price/SOTA specs driver aiming for the best with less price constraints?

Not that I am aware of currently. I have a couple of ideas but they are still more value-oriented.

If you are thinking something more premium, what do you propose?

and let’s take this discussion to the Introducing Directiva thread please…

Last edited:

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I'm curious as to whether there has been any progress on the Directiva R2. I am very interested in this design.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm curious as to whether there has been any progress on the Directiva R2. I am very interested in this design.
r2 has been on hold due to some family issues with the lead(s). Expect it will start to resume this month.

Worst case, I free up in August.:)

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Super excited!! So close now.

Joe BKNY

With hope that all involved are doing well, I wonder if there is any Directiva r2 news....

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An update for those following r2. @TimVG was starting back on the project when his workplace got hit with ransomware and he has lost most of his r2 design files. I have been busy with wrapping up SPKx and some amp work, but am planning to get my speaker turntable back in working order and can then make some r2 measurements.

I regret the slow pace here but it is a volunteer project and so progress is subject to team member available time. Unfortunately, that available time has been challenged over the last several months. Hopefully Tim recovers soon and I should be able to devote more time too. Before I do, I have another ASR project that has priority but am sure everyone will find it interesting.

Thanks for your support and understanding!

Rick

Joe BKNY

An update for those following r2. @TimVG was starting back on the project when his workplace got hit with ransomware and he has lost most of his r2 design files. I have been busy with wrapping up SPKx and some amp work, but am planning to get my speaker turntable back in working order and can then make some r2 measurements.

I regret the slow pace here but it is a volunteer project and so progress is subject to team member available time. Unfortunately, that available time has been challenged over the last several months. Hopefully Tim recovers soon and I should be able to devote more time too. Before I do, I have another ASR project that has priority but am sure everyone will find it interesting.

Rick
Thanks for the update! I’ve been following - like the old Dusty Springfield song : Wishin’ and Hopin’. I’ll admit that I’ve felt wisps of frustration, but when I do I remind myself of the physics metric that I invented: The Speed of Life. It’s profoundly slower than The Speed of Light - in fact, forward momentum at times can be measured in negative numbers. Einstein famously reduced his breakthrough to a simple formula - here’s mine: all errands will require two trips. The Post Office will be closed because of a new holiday. Or some freaking teen age hacker in Eastern Europe will hit you with ransomware. You can’t fight the fundamental laws of physics, so keep pushing but relax.

Biblob

Rick
Sad to hear @TimVG got hit by ransomware. I didn't think it was much of a remaining problem these days.

Are you able to easily reconstruct the old designs, based on the last model you made @TimVG ? Or do you need to start over all again? :(

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad to hear @TimVG got hit by ransomware. I didn't think it was much of a remaining problem these days.

Are you able to easily reconstruct the old designs, based on the last model you made @TimVG ? Or do you need to start over all again? :(

Hopefully Tim, can give you so idea of the impact to more recent plans. The first prototype is pretty much documented in a team messaging discussion. So is not a total loss in that respect. :)

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Hopefully Tim, can give you so idea of the impact to more recent plans. The first prototype is pretty much documented in a team messaging discussion. So is not a total loss in that respect. :)
If you need any 3D CAD doing let me know. Have Solidworks and not afraid to use it!

Joe BKNY

Rick
@TimVG - are you able and willing to say what your overall outlook is for D.2? Given setbacks are you planning to continue, or are you considering dropping it? If continue, is it possible for to say when you think the project will be completed?

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

As Rick said, should be doable redo all the drawings. Still without a computer or software.at this point unfortunately.

@TimVG - are you able and willing to say what your overall outlook is for D.2? Given setbacks are you planning to continue, or are you considering dropping it? If continue, is it possible for to say when you think the project will be completed?

Since I have all the parts would like to finish asap. Am as anxious as any one of you :) Hopefully I'll have a computer soon.

Biblob

As Rick said, should be doable redo all the drawings. Still without a computer or software.at this point unfortunately.

Since I have all the parts would like to finish asap. Am as anxious as any one of you :) Hopefully I'll have a computer soon.
I'd love to have a new Christmas project hehe :D

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the new driver thread, I recently posted about the planned bass module for r2. I had postponed this earlier, but had some cabinetry started and was taking space in my garage. I need to recover that space for the winter and so have resumed the effort. I already have the Denovo tower cabinet built with a couple of Epique drivers. The other cabinets allow for much more volume. While have not finalized a driver, am modeling using a pair of Dayton RS225-8s (since I have 4). So, in this case, a BR design around 2.7 cu. ft.

Still wrangling with extensibility and how to build rigid cabinets at the same time. Even the Epiques are stressing the Denovo cabinet. Have noticed a trend with bigger towers to have individual compartments for each driver. Probably need some higher compliance drivers to pull that off. Not finding many good ones that have not sacrificed sensitivity to get a low fS.

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am building variations of the bass module. See that thread for details. Am planning to test the monitor this weekend after I finish the paint job in the room I use. The project lead is busy with work and family so I have been getting familiar with the design. I feel confident that I can have it released in the next couple months.:)

Wizard509

Forum Donor
Am building variations of the bass module. See that thread for details. Am planning to test the monitor this weekend after I finish the paint job in the room I use. The project lead is busy with work and family so I have been getting familiar with the design. I feel confident that I can have it released in the next couple months.:)
Thanks for the update.

I'll check the thread on the bass module and keep an eye on this one.

tehas

forgive me if I missed something - what tweeter was chosen for r2? Or has it remained unchanged from r1? I see from the vcad sim, you've chosen sb15nbac30-4 for woofer.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
forgive me if I missed something - what tweeter was chosen for r2? Or has it remained unchanged from r1? I see from the vcad sim, you've chosen sb15nbac30-4 for woofer.

Yes, r2 still utilizes the Seas DXT.

Top Bottom