• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Directiva r1 speaker build

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1638028435755.png

falling-done.gif

dwkdnvr

Not entirely sure the Viawave is worth the price, but it does appear to measure impressively well. I'm out of the loop a bit - is it available from a US source, or only directly from Russia?

MinMan

Not entirely sure the Viawave is worth the price, but it does appear to measure impressively well. I'm out of the loop a bit - is it available from a US source, or only directly from Russia?
I bought 20+ units directly from the manufacturer in Russia. I found him to be a reputable source if you want to do a group buy.

julbo

After a month of lurking around reading most of the relevant threads here, I decided to take a plunge with my first DIY and take a stab on the Directiva R1 active :D Have most of the parts on order with some exceptions and variations, had to decide quickly as inventory is shrinking and shipping costs are soaring.
PR. I'm planning to experiment with the passive radiator with a target design in mind to integrate a plate amp in the back.
Apart of ordering the 2x 15SB ensuring "compliance" to the R1 reference measurements, I also ordered 4x SB16PFCR-00 planning to mount them on the side panels on the same level with the tweeter. Do not have the ability (yet) to model the acoustic resp with the double PRs, I assumed 2x PR volume rule of thumb as mentioned in the original thread.
In any case I'll build a R1 with the 15SB PR and another one with dual SB16.
Damping material .. could not order the 3/4" triple layer acoustic barrier, I hope I'll get good enough with a Monacor MDM-830 bitumen layer and a single layer 1/2" acoustic barrier.
Amplification, XO, DSP. Ordered a SY-DAP2002 to tinker with the DSP and class D before shedding out for a Hypex PFA, in parallel will also use a PC based front end to validate.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After a month of lurking around reading most of the relevant threads here, I decided to take a plunge with my first DIY and take a stab on the Directiva R1 active :D Have most of the parts on order with some exceptions and variations, had to decide quickly as inventory is shrinking and shipping costs are soaring.
PR. I'm planning to experiment with the passive radiator with a target design in mind to integrate a plate amp in the back.
Apart of ordering the 2x 15SB ensuring "compliance" to the R1 reference measurements, I also ordered 4x SB16PFCR-00 planning to mount them on the side panels on the same level with the tweeter. Do not have the ability (yet) to model the acoustic resp with the double PRs, I assumed 2x PR volume rule of thumb as mentioned in the original thread.
In any case I'll build a R1 with the 15SB PR and another one with dual SB16.
Damping material .. could not order the 3/4" triple layer acoustic barrier, I hope I'll get good enough with a Monacor MDM-830 bitumen layer and a single layer 1/2" acoustic barrier.
Amplification, XO, DSP. Ordered a SY-DAP2002 to tinker with the DSP and class D before shedding out for a Hypex PFA, in parallel will also use a PC based front end to validate.
can state that the single SB passive radiator could be readily upgraded to dual Purifi ones. Moving the PRs to sides will likely affect directivity, but have not modeled. Will be interested to see your measurements.

julbo

Finally the drivers arrived, I was somewhat surprised to find out that the SB16PFCR passive radiator has a pretty flimsy plastic made basket. Didn't find a tool to figure out the difference between a rear firing and a side firing PR. Apart of side firing PR comments regarding enclosure stability, e.g. cancellation of Newtonian forces or "rocking", I did not learn any further.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally the drivers arrived, I was somewhat surprised to find out that the SB16PFCR passive radiator has a pretty flimsy plastic made basket. Didn't find a tool to figure out the difference between a rear firing and a side firing PR. Apart of side firing PR comments regarding enclosure stability, e.g. cancellation of Newtonian forces or "rocking", I did not learn any further.
The length of the waves at low frequencies means probably that the placement of the PR doesn't matter anyway. It probably could be on the front, if there where space for it.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got my woofers just a few minutes ago. Ordered the ones for the smaller price:

Still waiting for the tweeters, PR and other stuff.
PXL_20220321_112625870.jpg
PXL_20220321_115608996.jpg
PXL_20220321_115623257.jpg
I'm starting to plan the enclosure now, that Denovo flat pack is not available here.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

julbo

Same here. Soundimports for the Purifi and Denovo pack, tweeters & oval PRs from Madisound. I'm lousy to say the least with carpentry so I'll outsource the scary and dusty stuff to the much more capable local shop. Driver cutout in metric; at some point we should add this into a wiki repository.
1647869951920.png

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-21 at 15.00.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-21 at 15.00.57.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here. Soundimports for the Purifi and Denovo pack, tweeters & oval PRs from Madisound. I'm lousy to say the least with carpentry so I'll outsource the scary and dusty stuff to the much more capable local shop. Driver cutout in metric; at some point we should add this into a wiki repository.
View attachment 194161
God (or whatever entity you believe in) bless you mister!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 194161
I have questions, since i don't have the flatpack kit:
1647883434675.png

4) What version is this based on, the one tested by Amir?
5) What is the thickness of the front?
6) What is the radius for the front edges?
7) What are the dimensions for the rest of the enclosure?

The information is all widely dispersed in what appears several threads, spanning maybe hundred pages of forum or so, apologies if the answers are obvious.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm lousy to say the least with carpentry so I'll outsource the scary and dusty stuff to the much more capable local shop.
It probably won't be entirely without dust, since you forgot the cutouts for the tweeter connections in your sketch :eek:
1647884064012.png

julbo

Thanks for the debug comments :p
@ctrl :
Tweeter cutout added AND the woofer chamfer ;)
@TheBatsEar :
1) denotes a top square 217x217, I took note of @Rick Sykora description on how to begin placement of the drivers, I hope I understood his guidance correctly and did not mess this up
2) Line denoted middle of the square, left over from initial sketch to get a sense of proportions. Striked out
3) "12" means 12 mm distance between the square bottom and the center of the woofer cutout. checking up that numbers add up: 217=12+145+60
4) Same version as Amir's, same Denovo pack
5,6) See diagram
7) Top panel 262 x192, bottom panel 242 x 192, side panels 408x262. Note that the side panels are grooved to interlock with the brace and top+back+bottom panels. I'll make a drawing of the back panel as well with the PR & SpeakOn cutouts.

See a picture of all elements below. Two round PRs on the side panels are for exploration purposes, orthogonal to the single 5x8 PR.
1647934675930.png

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-22 at 10.02.23.jpeg

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found the original flatpack measurements on some merchants website:
@ctrl :
@TheBatsEar :
1) denotes a top square 217x217, I took note of @Rick Sykora description on how to begin placement of the drivers, I hope I understood his guidance correctly and did not mess this up
2) Line denoted middle of the square, left over from initial sketch to get a sense of proportions. Striked out
3) "12" means 12 mm distance between the square bottom and the center of the woofer cutout. checking up that numbers add up: 217=12+145+60
5,6) See diagram
7) Top panel 262 x192, bottom panel 242 x 192, side panels 408x262. Note that the side panels are grooved to interlock with the brace and top+back+bottom panels. I'll make a drawing of the back panel as well with the PR & SpeakOn cutouts.

See a picture of all elements below. Two round PRs on the side panels are for exploration purposes, orthogonal to the single 5x8 PR.
View attachment 194318
View attachment 194321
Thanks, that cleared it up for me.
I'm starting to get the feeling this can't be done with a jigsaw on the kitchen table at all. I'll try to find some local professional.

kukocz

Forum Donor
@ctrl :
@TheBatsEar :
5,6) See diagram

View attachment 194318
View attachment 194321
I one have appropriate tool and could prepare a .dwg project - then in some cases it could be even cheaper to cut all pieces by local professional...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom