• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Directiva r1 speaker build

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going to hijack my own thread and may move some content to a new thread about designing a Directiva speaker.

I realized it is a bit too much content if all you want to do is build the r1 speaker. :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point, all that is left is to integrate a crossover and measure the speaker to verify the design (maybe add some finish too!) There separate threads for active and passive crossovers. The original crossover from Amir's review is posted to the active thread and uses a minidsp 2x4 HD.

As mentioned elsewhere, we have see some variability in driver frequency response. This may require some additional eq to better match a set of stereo speakers. If you want your speakers to attain Directiva performance, be sure your drivers match closely, make small eq changes and avoid making them close to the crossover frequency. UPDATED 14 Nov2021

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remembered how much fun it is to try to place 3/4“ Sonic Barrier with adhesive backing, so before gluing front baffle, I have installed it. Here is the bottom half…

View attachment 133451

This part requires 2 6.75” x 9.25“ side pieces. Put these in first!

The back is 5.5” x 3.75” with a 1“ inch hole for the speakon. Before you remove backing paper, mark the hole and cut it. I use a hole saw with the drill running counterclockwise. This yields a clean hole. DO NOT run drill clockwise - the teeth will tear the foam and likely ruin the piece.

Finally, the bottom piece is 5.5” wide x 8.75” deep.
Just a FYI, but in my experience the self-adhesive on products like that never likes to stick to MDF long-term. A wash coat of shellac seals and sort of cleans the MDF of any dust layer and will provide better adhesion. Hopefully you won't have your foam come off but it has happened to me. Nowadays I prefer to use mass loaded vinyl and the denim insulation, although I may switch to rockwool.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a FYI, but in my experience the self-adhesive on products like that never likes to stick to MDF long-term. A wash coat of shellac seals and sort of cleans the MDF of any dust layer and will provide better adhesion. Hopefully you won't have your foam come off but it has happened to me. Nowadays I prefer to use mass loaded vinyl and the denim insulation, although I may switch to rockwool.

I vacuum and wipe down mdf panels before applying Sonic Barrier. If the surface is clean, have not seen it come off. I also try to cut foam panels such that they have butt joints that hold them in place too.

Reactions: 617

stren

Forum Donor
So are any users/companies going to build these for sale kinda like the small amplifier builders using hypex/purifi modules?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So are any users/companies going to build these for sale kinda like the small amplifier builders using hypex/purifi modules?
That quickly becomes not really worth it. You'd have to sell them for around $2500+ a pair after your time, finishing the boxes, and shipping. Lots of competition there.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The front requires a hand router to properly recess the drivers. I like to start by getting out a square and compass and drawing my planned cuts. The front already has rounded edges and, since it is harder to see the edges as clearly, I start by drawing on the backside.

View attachment 130682
Forgot to get in a fuller pic before I cut it, but normally you’d see concentric circles showing the outer driver recess and the cutout. Apologize for not using metric measures, but all my tools are in standard! Will supply some drawings for those using metric system. So, next I find the center line on the 8.5“ width. Had to adjust as this one was slightly wider. Placing the square at the top, marked off tweeter center at 2 3/8 inches and 8 3/32 inches from the top. Then used compass to draw driver outlines.

Tweeter cutout is at 2 7/8 inch diameter and outer edge is at 4 1/8 inches. Depth should be .25 inch.

Woofer cutout is 5.75” and outer edge is at 6 15/16 inch diameter. Depth is at 3/16 inch.

Like the above pic the tweeter edge should be about 5/16” from top and a 3/16“ space between the drivers. If all is good, I repeat drawing on front for good measure and then drill centering holes for the router jig. Check back to ensure the center holes are aligned. If not, may want to mount the baffle on scrap backing board for cutouts.

Suggest you start with the more shallow cuts for the woofer recess and then move on to the deeper tweeter one. At this point, it is good to check the recess depths as once the holes are cut through will be more work to deepen them. My router depth gauge is not very precise and had to deepen. Will get to that later. Now I set up to do the cutout passes. I do each about a .5 inch deep and then flip over the baffle to complete. At this point, touch up with bit of filing and/or sanding and clean off any remaining dust.

Time to check the driver fit. The woofer is pretty straightforward, but until the terminal slots are cut, can only check the tweeter face down. If your recesses are cut slightly too deep, some gasketing tape can help. If too shallow, see below for my tip. If all is well. then time to cut the tweeter terminal slots. Centering horizontally on the tweeter midline, the slots need to be about 3/4" tall and 3/8" wide on each side. I use a square to draw them and then a 3/4" chisel to rough cut them. I file them to smooth the edges and then clean before checking the fit. If all is well, should look like this...

View attachment 130712

Before you forget, now is good time to mark the driver screw holes and chamfer the woofer cutout. I show this for the woofer below. I chamfered it and left some material for T-nuts. Even you do not use them, leaving the material around the left and right holes will allow more surface for them to secure to the internal brace.

View attachment 130713

Next you should prepare to glue the cabinet together. In my case, the woofer recess was too shallow and so here is how I dealt with that....

As I mentioned earlier, you can do this with a chisel, but if you want a smoother result, you need a rabbeting bit for your router. If they had them that were 5/8" wide, it would be the best way to do the driver recesses. The bad news is the widest in 1/2" and so a bit more work is needed. On MDF, this is not too bad. Once you have cut to the new depth with the router. take a small, sharp razor knife and carefully score along the recess outer perimeter. Now, take a chisel and use to lift under the remaining material. You may have to repeat with both tools a bit to clean the recess completely, but should get a good final outcome.
This is the hard part. I have neither the tools or the ability. Nice job. Infllation sucks. The MiniDSP was $205 2 years ago.

stren

Forum Donor
That quickly becomes not really worth it. You'd have to sell them for around $2500+ a pair after your time, finishing the boxes, and shipping. Lots of competition there.

Sure - there is competition - but even at that price are there better speakers? I can imagine the BMR's might perform better for less but are significantly larger. The M105 and M106 are cheaper, but are more compromised I believe trading off either low end or the crossover.

There is also the option to offer custom finishes which some people might be willing to pay for.

Jdunk54nl

Sure - there is competition - but even at that price are there better speakers? I can imagine the BMR's might perform better for less but are significantly larger. The M105 and M106 are cheaper, but are more compromised I believe trading off either low end or the crossover.

There is also the option to offer custom finishes which some people might be willing to pay for.
You are competing with REVEL (all of harman really), KEF, Focal, Genelec, Nuemann, Philharmonic, etc. Lots of very good measuring speakers in that list that are cheaper than $2500 a pair.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are competing with REVEL (all of harman really), KEF, Focal, Genelec, Nuemann, Philharmonic, etc. Lots of very good measuring speakers in that list that are cheaper than $2500 a pair.

The Directiva R1 does not offer the value for performance that DIY normally targets; its main niche is that it offers relatively good bass in a remarkably small enclosure, with excellent dispersion. If you can afford a floor stander, or a larger monitor, it becomes a harder sell.

DIY has the best value with larger speakers and complex speakers. Manufacturers tend to charge more for three way designs, and charge a great deal more for larger speakers. Building a big speaker is not much more expensive than a small one for a DIYer, so that is where the value is highest.

It should also be mentioned that the directiva 1 requires two additional channels of amplification for stereo, and another $220 in dsp filtering hardware.

Directiva R2 will offer better value. I don't know what the pricepoint will be yet, but it will be a larger and in my opinion more innovative speaker with uniquely high performance characteristics in an attractive form factor. I am very optimistic about it.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the hard part. I have neither the tools or the ability. Nice job. Infllation sucks. The MiniDSP was $205 2 years ago.
Thanks!

Inflation does suck but availability is the real killer rn. Once the supply chain issues settle, inflation is supposed to go back down.

Even folks that might do precut baffles/cabinets for r1 are holding off until MDF prices settle down.

Jdunk54nl

The Directiva R1 does not offer the value for performance that DIY normally targets; its main niche is that it offers relatively good bass in a remarkably small enclosure, with excellent dispersion. If you can afford a floor stander, or a larger monitor, it becomes a harder sell.

DIY has the best value with larger speakers and complex speakers. Manufacturers tend to charge more for three way designs, and charge a great deal more for larger speakers. Building a big speaker is not much more expensive than a small one for a DIYer, so that is where the value is highest.

It should also be mentioned that the directiva 1 requires two additional channels of amplification for stereo, and another $220 in dsp filtering hardware.

Directiva R2 will offer better value. I don't know what the pricepoint will be yet, but it will be a larger and in my opinion more innovative speaker with uniquely high performance characteristics in an attractive form factor. I am very optimistic about it.
Agree. As a DIY speaker this is a good speaker, maybe on the more expensive side, but really good. As the other poster asked why these aren't being made by someone and sold, it is already a tough sell as a DIY project, let alone some little company trying to build these when you have to compete against A LOT of other really good speakers.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!

Inflation does suck but availability is the real killer rn. Once the supply chain issues settle, inflation is supposed to go back down.

Even folks that might do precut baffles/cabinets for r1 are holding off until MDF prices settle down.
Supply chain and M2 money supply. The money supply graph went nearly straight up starting last year.

Hipocrates

I am very optimistic about it.
Me too, I really like small speakers and I can't wait to see the proposed crossover, I'll build a pair for sure

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for some perspective, Directiva r1 and r2 speakers are quite different and so am wary of claiming r2 will be better than r1. In the end, all they may have in common is a tweeter. At this stage of r2, only the form factor is a firm plan. I really think it is prudent to just call them different for now.

Consider this, Directiva r1 and the Purifi SPK5 share a woofer and form factor, but the resulting speakers are quite different. This could be the different tweeters, bass configuration, crossover differences and/or other factors.

Notably for r2, I suggest any comparison to r1 is complicated by replacing the Purifi midwoofer. While r2 targets even better directivity than r1, will that work be better than the sound quality offered by the Purifi? I could rattle off a few more examples, but I think you get the idea. Directiva r2 is very different than r1. Amir will likely review r2 without its bass module and a passive crossover instead of r1’s active one. Under these conditions, am not sure there will be a clear ”better” speaker. We will see. :)

Stay tuned!

Rick

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a competitor to directiva.
take a look at this:
the Concept looks good so fare. What do you think about it?
greetings, Walter

Troels is an established designer and is known for his solid designs. The use of a ribbon tweeter reminds me of Selah’s Purezza which is even more like Directiva. Both are more expensive than Directiva’s DXT tweeter (and Purezza is NLA).

Without building, measuring and listening, it is difficult to comment much further. Personally, do not like front-facing ports, but could be moved. Also, there are better versions of the Purifi woofer for a BR design. I just picked up the new aluminum cone one and planned to test it with Directiva r1 in the near future.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
take a look at this:
Purifi-6R the Concept looks good so fare. What do you think about it?
The used Viawave ribbon tweeter with waveguide is a gem.

However, I would recommend sticking to the "original" by @Joachim Gerhard as far as the baffle is concerned (if you have the DIY skills to design a crossover) - see here and here.
The most important "feature" troelsgravesen has omitted in his version, the large bevels reaching to the waveguide.

Omitting the bevels worsens the horizontal radiation pattern.
By using a second-order crossover, in the version of troelsgravesen, influence of the edge diffraction is somewhat mitigated (due to the large overlap area of tweeter and woofer), but is unlikely to reach the good radiation pattern of the "original".

Surveyor
1638012100023.png source

Purifi-6R
1638012143599.png source

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
take a look at this:
Purifi-6R
You asked for a direct comparison of Directiva r1 and Purifi-6R.

To do this, we simply compare the horizontal frequency responses of the two speakers in the range 0° to 40°, normalized to the axial frequency response - unfortunately troelsgravesen has not published more information.
(the smoothing of the frequency response curves is different for both LS and not directly comparable)

1638026170014.png

1638026184454.png

Unfortunately, a small waveguide (104mm SeasDXT, 110mm Viawave) in a "standard enclosure" (216mm and 240mm width) without large bevels or roundings never delivers optimal radiation.

Which loudspeaker ultimately has the "less worse" horizontal radiation, everyone can decide for themselves.

Top Bottom