• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac versus Lyngdorf Room Perfect

samysound

Hello
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

wondering if any folks have compared the latest version of Dirac live with Lyngdorfs room perfect. In particular, capabilities and effectiveness with integrating subwoofers. I realize that the Dirac subwoofer integration tool is still pending release so any thoughts or insights in anticipation of this would be awesome
Thanks
Samy

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Subscribed

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think Dirac Live handles crossover integration. I ran calibrations before with huge nulls in that area and had to manually align them. Maybe it's a new update.

OP
S

samysound

I guess one of things im trying to understand is if there is if there are is some technical merits that set the dirac or lyngdorf ahead based on the method and algorithm they use. Preferably for the latest versions of both. From what I can tell the tell the lyngdorf method has not changed in at least 10 years while dirac has been evolving.

This is perhaps the only technical discussion of lyngdorf roomperfect I came across:
https://sourceforge.net/p/drc-fir/mailman/message/4179168/

kaka89

Dirac is a sound processing software company where Lyngdorf sells audio gears.
I would vote for Dirac because it is their professional.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Attachments

• Bass-Control-in-Live.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 600

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A little birdie tells me you may soon some comparison measurements of RoomPerfect and Dirac (1, but still) in the same system available to draw your own conclusions. ;)

OP
S

samysound

Thanks @Kal Rubinson very informative! I wonder how long before this feature is available on the arcam or nad platforms.
@jhaider , exciting news! Can’t wait to read the results

Last edited:
OP
S

samysound

Dirac is a sound processing software company where Lyngdorf sells audio gears.
I would vote for Dirac because it is their professional.
I was kind of thinking the same way but sometimes creative ideas are not always commensurate with level of funding, size of team or education. Is room perfect a gem in this regard?

kaka89

I was kind of thinking the same way but sometimes creative ideas are not always commensurate with level of funding, size of team or education. Is room perfect a gem in this regard?

It is engineering, science and math, which take times to research, develop and fine tune.

OP
S

samysound

So is this available currently, and if it is, is it available in the stand alone software version?
Ive asked NAD about this and it is planned for release on some select products (M10 integrated and at least one other model) but not ETA was provided.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

dougi

Panelhead

Forum Donor
The sub integration was included in the Room Perfect system from the beginning, it is a hardware and software solution. Big board, as large as some Class D amps, with circuitry.
The Room Perfect system has evolved, was 96k/24. Has been 192K/24 for a while. Processing power on board has been increased.
I THINK it has not changed much from the outside over time. Inside the box there may be many updates. But it has been working fine in my system since 2010 or so. Did not need major revisions.
No experience with Dirac. Implementation in some amplifiers seems inconsistent. Read reviews with comments that system is better with it turned off. Never have heard that or experienced that with Room Perfect.

dougi

The sub integration was included in the Room Perfect system from the beginning, it is a hardware and software solution. Big board, as large as some Class D amps, with circuitry.
The Room Perfect system has evolved, was 96k/24. Has been 192K/24 for a while. Processing power on board has been increased.
I THINK it has not changed much from the outside over time. Inside the box there may be many updates. But it has been working fine in my system since 2010 or so. Did not need major revisions.
No experience with Dirac. Implementation in some amplifiers seems inconsistent. Read reviews with comments that system is better with it turned off. Never have heard that or experienced that with Room Perfect.

Does it really have sub integration though? Yes It has a crossover if you like and seperate outs but It does not automatically correct the sub level from my experience with a DPA-1 at least. You have to get that right first as it really sees it as two channel only and part of the systems natural rolloff response.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Does it really have sub integration though? Yes It has a crossover if you like and seperate outs but It does not automatically correct the sub level from my experience with a DPA-1 at least. You have to get that right first as it really sees it as two channel only and part of the systems natural rolloff response.
You are right, blends the speakers and subs together in the crossover region.
It only makes small changes in output level. Plus some phased adjustments. The volume between the main speakers and subs has to be ballpark for it to blend them.
I like this better than having more flexibility. Updated to a straight four channel monitor output dac. Switched to a 64 bit software crossover. Amplitude, delay, frequency, slopes, and overlap adjustable. Too many variables. Went back to using the old one with only crossover frequency adjustment. Less to tweak.

dougi

You are right, blends the speakers and subs together in the crossover region.
It only makes small changes in output level. Plus some phased adjustments. The volume between the main speakers and subs has to be ballpark for it to blend them.
I like this better than having more flexibility. Updated to a straight four channel monitor output dac. Switched to a 64 bit software crossover. Amplitude, delay, frequency, slopes, and overlap adjustable. Too many variables. Went back to using the old one with only crossover frequency adjustment. Less to tweak.
Yes I love the simplicty and it mostly gets things right. I really wish they would release a new updated preamp only with Room Perfect. That new TDA-1120 integrated may be an option as, going by the manual, it does have a full crossover but you would have to use the somewhat meagre in-built amp to do that to your mains.

Top Bottom