• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Unison

12B4A

I figure it might be handy to corral some Unison information.

Dirac's page: https://www.dirac.com/unison/
The deep dive white paper: http://diracdocs.com/ISEAT15_Brannmark_Sternad.pdf

Highlight from a different pdf: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...+Engineering+Society,+AES+Sweden+lecture).pdf:
Characteristics of Dirac Unison
  • A set of main speakers are selected by the user.
    • For example the main speakers can be the 5 main channels of a home cinema system: L,C,R,Ls,Rs.
  • To each main speaker, a set of support speakers are selected.
    • If a main speaker has no support, then Unison = Live for that speaker.
    • A support speaker can be one of the other main speakers, or it can be a dedicated support speaker, for example a subwoofer.
    • The frequency range where speakers are allowed to operate as support is typically limited to below 500 Hz.
  • Goal: Improve the time and frequency response of the main speaker, using all of the assigned loudspeaker resources.
The sweetspot size, the number of required support speakers, the upper support cutoff frequency, and T60 of the room are related.

Blog post about Unison's filterlab with a picture of development UI

S&V article where Mathias Johannson candidly reveals his Unison hopes and dreams for 2017: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ridding-world-bad-sound-page-2

S&V: Are any new home audio/theater-related products or technical refinements on the horizon?
MJ: We are currently working on a number of improvements for the Dirac Live software, in addition to a few algorithm refinements. In fact, there will be a completely new Dirac Live calibration software coming out in a few months.

Even more exciting, 2017 will be the year that we finally showcase a Dirac Unison calibration tool for hi-fi use. Our challenge and our goal with this project has been to retain the performance benefits of Dirac Unison while simultaneously creating an intuitive, not-too-technical calibration tool. 2017 marks the year that we deliver on this goal, which we at Dirac feel constitutes a major milestone in a new generation of digital room-correction systems. While expectations for Dirac Unison are quite high, we’re confident that it will not disappoint!

All good things must come to a...waterfall chart:
attachment.php

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Thanks. I hope something materializes after all the years of chatter.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I push them for release of this at every show I see them. The problem is that the technology is not easy to deploy. It requires a lot of measurements and tuning and hence the reason they were targeting the car OEM market.

I have asked them to do a simplified version at least and they said they may do that.

I am also pleased that they are public with updated version of Dirac Live. They told me that in confidence. I have asked them for a plug-in for Roon. Hopefully they deliver on that.

OP
12B4A

12B4A

Apparently they had a breakthrough earlier this year regarding implementation. When Flavio popped in to AVS, he directly answered my question about seeing this in the home in 2017: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2743385-dirac-unison.html#post51421377

That was 5 months ago and we're closing in on CEDIA. I would imagine if we don't see any gear touting Unison at CEDIA then 2018 might then be the year of Unison...until 2019. I just hope it ends up on something a little more affordable than a Datasat.

OP
12B4A

12B4A

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Adding it to Live and calling it Dirac Live 2.0 does seem a plausible path since it still uses the Live algorithm when no support speakers are assigned. IIRC, at some point in the setup all Live implementations communicate to a Dirac server that does DOUBLE SECRET calculations and sends back the filter settings. That doesn't seem like it would require any changes to existing hardware except for a firmware update. That would take advantage of leverage the existing Live user base for beta tes...larger sampling of user feedback and spreading glowing reports on audio forums.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You know... I always wondered why they called Dirac Live when that latter is always associated with cloud service of some kind... Should test it some day without Internet connection to see if it throws up its hands! :)

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
You know... I always wondered why they called Dirac Live when that latter is always associated with cloud service of some kind... Should test it some day without Internet connection to see if it throws up its hands! :)
Not sure, since my internet connection is always on. But, I think that cloud connection may just be user login validation and nothing else. I also think it might just be for the Calibration in DLCT, not for the actual playback signal processing in DAP or the VST plugin. But, I have not tested that.

I use the VST myself, and I am quite happy with it. It solves a lot of occasional synchronization startup issues that used to happen for me between JRiver and the separate DAP, since DAP functionality is now embedded in JR and JR now is directly connected to my DAC driver as the audio output device. Previously, the connection was JR to DAP to DAC driver.

Previously, the VST was only available as a beta by special request. I am assuming it will now be part of the standard version.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Not sure, since my internet connection is always on. But, I think that cloud connection may just be user login validation and nothing else. I also think it might just be for the Calibration in DLCT, not for the actual playback signal processing in DAP or the VST plugin. But, I have not tested that.
I have, by chance. I just switched to a new server and I copied over all my files and libraries to the new one. However, when I tried to load the Dirac VST plug-in into JRiver, I was challenged for log in validation.

OP
12B4A

12B4A

Dirac to give 90 minute presentation at CEDIA about the latest in room correction technology. I have no idea what they could be talking about...

Responding to growing demand from industry professionals and potential partners, Dirac Research, the developer of platform-optimized audio technology, will host a 90-minute presentation at CEDIA 2017 covering the latest advancements in room correction technologies and recent developments in the field.

The lecture, delivered by Dirac’s head of product management Jakob Ågren, will take place on Friday, September 8 at 9:00 a.m. in room 14B at the San Diego Convention Center. It is open to all CEDIA attendees interested in learning more about how room correction technology elevates the home theater listening experience. Dirac will be exhibiting at CEDIA booth 5708.

“Home audio technology has advanced at a rapid rate over the past few years, with home theater systems offering more channels, enhanced channel separation, and improved frequency response and reproduction,” Ågren said. “However, despite these advancements, various factors that exist beyond the confines of the home theater system — such as the room’s size, shape, and contents — continue to negatively impact the overall listening experience. Our CEDIA 2017 presentation will discuss how manufacturers and integrators alike can leverage room correction technology to control these formerly uncontrollable factors, and thus produce the audio experience intended by the manufacturer.”

Since introducing Dirac Live, Dirac Research has forged partnerships with 12 residential audio brands that are exhibiting at CEDIA 2017 — including Arcam, Audio Control, Datasat, Emotiva, StormAudio, Theta Digital, and Wisdom Audio. According to Ågren, rather than conduct individual presentations and demos with each brand along with prospective partners, the presentation will gather the brightest minds and biggest names in home audio for a collaborative discussion on how the CEDIA market can benefit from equipping their product and installations with room correction technology.

“With our latest innovations offering unrivaled performance in any acoustical environment, it’s crucial to the future of audio that the industry fully understands the technical advances and end-user benefits of the latest technologies,” Ågren said. “We’re on the cutting edge of further refining the home theater experience, and we look forward to sharing our latest innovations and product roadmap with the industry community at CEDIA 2017.”

Those interested in attending the presentation can register for Dirac: Room Correction That Works, with course number MPTDI001 through the CEDIA 2017 registration system. The course is worth 0.75 CEU and is free to all CEDIA members and non-members. For more information on Dirac Research, visit www.dirac.com.

“With our latest innovations offering unrivaled performance in any acoustical environment, it’s crucial to the future of audio that the industry fully understands the technical advances and end-user benefits of the latest technologies.”— Jakob Ågren, head of product management, Dirac

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Ah, I am not going to CEDIA this year. I usually teach there but this time I do not so am not going. Shame given that talk.
Same here except that I am teaching then but here in NYC. Would be nice to get a transcript.

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
Could we say that it's a half-nope? Dirac Live with Bass Management should be a spin-off of that unison tech.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
And another year has gone by.... and still nothing...

There are some rumours (generated by Dirac employees) - that there is something new coming to AVR's.... and that it was due to be launched at CES in January 2022.....

but still nothing!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Latest word from Dirac, is that they are making some important announcements at CES in January 2023...

A Beta program with NDA's is currently running for the PC software (presumably with DLBC)

But the hints that have been posted with regards to CES announcements were posted in Dirac AVR threads.

Others have made comments along the lines of "no comment due to NDA's " (non disclosure agreements)

I am hoping for the January launch/release of SRC on AVR's/AVP's... and specifically on (relatively) reasonably priced Onkyo flagship models - rather than the much more expensive Trinnov / JBL / Storm market segment

Top Bottom