• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac on a 2.1 nearfield setup

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the -3db adjustment. It has the same impact to my ears as the -10 and I try as a general rule to make the smallest adjustment as possible to make an audible difference.

I will be trying the L/R specific recommendation over the next few days. Thanks again, I really appreciate the suggestions.

By the way when you change a value in a filter by using the slider in MiniDSP, you have to release the mouse button before the change is applied.

Maybe that’s why they sound the same? Just felt like mentioning it.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By the way when you change a value in a filter by using the slider in MiniDSP, you have to release the mouse button before the change is applied.

Maybe that’s why they sound the same? Just felt like mentioning it.

I should have said similar, I can hear the difference but very subtle. The -10 sounds "warmer" but I only really notice the additional harmonic disappearing.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I should have said similar, I can hear the difference but very subtle. The -10 sounds "warmer" but I only really notice the additional harmonic disappearing.

Personally i just continue to decrease the value until i cannot distinguish the 'additional frequency' from the sea of noise anymore.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I have found all of your recommendations to be a positive improvement, thank you. -3db for each adjustment was sufficient.

LeftEQ.JPG

RightEQ.JPG

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
A picture tells a thousand words! That seems to happen when I import the EQ setting from REW?

Here is corrected:

Left Basic.JPG

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
-5 or -6 sounds very similar. Struggling to hear it in music but can do with the Pink noise.

KxDx

I'm contemplating purchasing a Dirac license. I have two full range (extend below 30Hz) towers and no sub. I know the dips won't go away since they are a function of the room itself, but how much would Dirac it help on a pure 2.0 system?

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I'm contemplating purchasing a Dirac license. I have two full range (extend below 30Hz) towers and no sub. I know the dips won't go away since they are a function of the room itself, but how much would Dirac it help on a pure 2.0 system?

Very hard to give any quantitative or qualitative indication. The best I could suggest is “probably some”. it Is great fun to play with :)

Last edited:
OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Top Bottom