• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac on a 2.1 nearfield setup

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Select the miniDSP as output, end frequency at 20000 KHz, and only measure L or R individually, right now it's L+R.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this any good?

Attachments

• L.R.timing20k.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 49
OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Yep, Was the microphone at ear level by the way?

Was Dirac turned off?

Dirac off. Mic was pointed at the midpoint between tweeter & Woofer at about 10cm.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
IMG_9789.jpg

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
From listening position. Sub off.

Attachments

• L.R.listening.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 61

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay lets start with one filter, I want you to open a pink noise video on youtube and apply this filter on the MiniDSP. I want you to try different gain (start at -3dB, go down to -10dB) and see at which gain value does everything sound neutral to you.

1662808084963.png

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I have implemented these filters and listened to the results. I have used EQ wizard to export this to miniDSP but can I also do this directly in the MiniDSP EQ controls (using Peak type)?

1770-10.JPG

The listening experience is more difficult to express to you. I am unclear what "Neutral" represents:

When I do A/B (bypass) listening there is an additional frequency I can hear when the EQ is off. The EQ sounds very similar to me from -3 through to -10 with the most marked difference being the introduction of the additional, higher frequency sound when the EQ is active.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am unclear what "Neutral" represents:

If you have headphones, you can apply the filter (with positive gain) to the headphones just to hear the coloration of the sound that you're trying to fight.

For me when i correct the response, a non-conforming spectrum of the noise gets eliminated. Sounds very much like what you mentioned here:

there is an additional frequency I can hear when the EQ is off.

Once you figured out the gain that sounds the best just proceed to music and check whether you like it or not.

also the answer to the below question is yes, and that's what i expected you to do to fine tune the gain.
but can I also do this directly in the MiniDSP EQ controls (using Peak type)?

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Thanks for your advice. I will do some listening today and give my feedback. I am curious to learn more about your thinking here, does this correct some issue you observed in my timing measurements?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your advice. I will do some listening today and give my feedback. I am curious to learn more about your thinking here, does this correct some issue you observed in my timing measurements?

Yes there is a very early reflection in that frequency that gets lost by the time all the late reflections arrive. Our hearing is much more senstive to those though.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
If you have headphones, you can apply the filter (with positive gain) to the headphones just to hear the coloration of the sound that you're trying to fight.

My next purchase will be a set of reference headphones for this reason. I am just starting to wade through the myriad options. The HiFiman XS looks like a good balance of performance and price? Do you have a recommendation for a good reference set (better than the Genelecs with my room impact).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My next purchase will be a set of reference headphones for this reason. I am just starting to wade through the myriad options. The HiFiman XS looks like a good balance of performance and price? Do you have a recommendation for a good reference set (better than the Genelecs with my room impact).

I'm not really a headphones person, they just don't do it for me since I really enjoy speakers and the physical impact of sound.

I'm using a Hifiman HE400SE.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I'm not really a headphones person, they just don't do it for me since I really enjoy speakers and the physical impact of sound.

I'm using a Hifiman HE400SE.

I am not a headphone person either. I use headphones and earbuds purely as a convenience for work mainly or when I want to listen to a game really loud and its driving my family mad but now want to use them as a reference to help me improve the sound of my system/s.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1662845171009.png

1662845210717.png

If the first filter is positively influencing your experience, and once you got the gain figured out, check out these two, they're speaker specific though, keep that in mind.

Attachments

• 1662845037509.png
    1662845037509.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 26

holbob

I'm not sure I'd advise a 10db gain peq based on a single measurement. 30cm to either side, above or below could end up with even more db down on the average response. I could imagine that would have a detrimental effect on the natural sound of the speakers - missing lots of energy. Please look into mmm measurements. Loads of information on this forum that has helped me immeasurably.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I'd advise a 10db gain peq based on a single measurement. 30cm to either side, above or below could end up with even more db down on the average response. I could imagine that would have a detrimental effect on the natural sound of the speakers - missing lots of energy. Please look into mmm measurements. Loads of information on this forum that has helped me immeasurably.

That’s why the exercise with pink noise is important.

If you share your own measurements i could share some filters as well.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I like the -3db adjustment. It has the same impact to my ears as the -10 and I try as a general rule to make the smallest adjustment as possible to make an audible difference.

I will be trying the L/R specific recommendation over the next few days. Thanks again, I really appreciate the suggestions.

Top Bottom