• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live ( Stereo ) my experience so far

My adventures in stereo

I picked up a Minidsp SHD about a year back
Having played around with REW on minidsp 2x4 HD on my 3.2 home theater
I was fairly confident with using REW and did not expect too much of a learning curve incorporating dirac live in to the mix
My system at this point was 2.2
2 revel M126 Be with SVS PB 2000 Pro Subs

The minidsp SHD manual suggested, setting up a cross over in REW before starting dirac Live
So, I went the classic 80 hz 12 db roll off , with flat eq
Got suboptimal results with significant loss of bass
Tried multiple times and was dissatisfied with the results
Gave up on DIrac, till recently

I started a ASR Thread, on setting filters for main/ sub integration
Got some really valuable input there & changed my low pass & high pass strategy completely
At the end of this process, I mentioned my issues with Dirac and was advised to give it another shot

Dirac Live, with flat eq, subs time aligned & crossed over correctly, now gives me excellent results both objectively and in actual listening
To reiterate, Dirac is the final touch to calibrate a stereo system for neutral objective sound but you have to prep work, especially in systems with subs

The REW curves with and without dirac can be found in the link , mentioned above
Hope this is of use to future REW/ Dirac users

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Please show us the before (if available) and after REW freq response curves!

P.S. I also have a pair of the same SVS subs they’re great! Used to have Revel 106s before switching to f208s.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

6323 pre dirac.jpg
6 db dirac.jpg
dirac 6 + SVS eq.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom