• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

CMB

Most likely not to MiniDSP, but I would ask them about the standalone. Even if they don’t offer license migration sometimes companies can give you a discount in similar situations.
Thks, will revert ;-)
Yes, you can get the latest Dirac Live 3 update free of charge and it includes both the Dirac virtual audio card for system-wide correction and the plugins for media players and DAWs.
I understand that you opened a ticket on our HelpDesk and we'll be pleased to send you detailed instructions
Thank you - that is good news ! looking forward to their reply!
Tried first via the normal "contact" address without success.
HelpDesk seems a better approach ;-)
Thks again

cheapsoundguy

As my fellow forumers likely know already, we have released a Dirac Live update for Windows which provides a virtual audio card (in addition to plugins) so that systemwide correction of all audio from the PC is available.
We are now going to release an update of the Mac version as well that will align it with the Windows version... if interested in testing it please open a ticket on the HelpDesk here:
https://confluence.dirac.services/display/DLS/Dirac+Live+Support
so that your findings and comments can be shared with the developers.

Thanks for your time :)
Flavio

I’m a bit confused if DIRAC supports 48khz, 96khz, or 192khz. Can you clarify?

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider

I’m a bit confused if DIRAC supports 48khz, 96khz, or 192khz. Can you clarify?
Dirac Live can support any sample rate, for example the standalone supports 192 kHz but... it then depends on the computing power of the processor

Last edited:

cheapsoundguy

Dirac Live can support any sample rate, for example the standalone supports 192 kHz but... it then depends on the computing power of the processor

So just to be totally clear, the 96khz internal sample rate limit on say a MiniDSP does not apply to say a PC running the DIRAC correction suite?

(But obviously the DIRAC process itself is a sort of "resample" -- so I assume the difference between 96khz and 192khz is virtually imperceptible regardless of the source rate?)

dziemian

Yes, Dirac Live in Minidsp is limited to 96khz due to hardware limitation but Dirac Live on PC runs up to 192 khz. Dirac as far as I remember doesnt resample. If I remmeber that right you need to take measurements with sampling of your choice.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Dirac Live in Minidsp is limited to 96khz due to hardware limitation but Dirac Live on PC runs up to 192 khz. Dirac as far as I remember doesnt resample. If I remmeber that right you need to take measurements with sampling of your choice.
Not just Dirac, Audyssey too are subject to the OEMs hardware's limitations. Anthem is further limited to 96 kHz even for the top end products, otherwise only 48 kHz. It is not really an issue anyway because there won't be any audible information above 20,000 Hz so 24 kHz (1/2 of the sampling frequency) is good enouh.

Last edited:

Blew

Not just Dirac, Audyssey too are subject to the OEMs hardware's limitations. Anthem is further limited to 96 kHz even for the top end products, otherwise only 48 kHz. It is not really an issue anyway because there won't be any audible information above 20,000 Hz so 24 kHz (1/2 of the sampling frequency) is good enouh.
Surely aliasing is an issue when upsampling/downsampling non-integer frequencies of the sources? Yes you can anti-alias, but I'd have thought the high sampling frequency and bit depth for this sort of DSP the better?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely aliasing is an issue when upsampling/downsampling non-integer frequencies of the sources? Yes you can anti-alias, but I'd have thought the high sampling frequency and bit depth for this sort of DSP the better?

I don't think it is an issue for below 20,000 Hz. 48 kHz is >>2X20 kHz (Ref Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem) so even 44.1 kHz is good enough, and on top we have antialiasing filter as you mentioned.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @Flak or anyone who has used DL3 with JRiver, when I beta tested DL with JRiver about two years ago, there was no way to EQ my 2.1 because of the limitation by both the beta DL version and JRiver itself. I would like to know if anything has changed, that there is now a way to EQ my 2.1 system that is composed of a two channel preamp with one sub woofer output, a two channel power amp. If that cannot be done, I do have a minidsp 2X4 HD that I can upgrade for $199 that includes a DL3 license, would that route work then, again for 2.1?

Thank you.

Reactions: CMB

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hello @Flak or anyone who has used DL3 with JRiver, when I beta tested DL with JRiver about two years ago, there was no way to EQ my 2.1 because of the limitation by both the beta DL version and JRiver itself. I would like to know if anything has changed, that there is now a way to EQ my 2.1 system that is composed of a two channel preamp with one sub woofer output, a two channel power amp. If that cannot be done, I do have a minidsp 2X4 HD that I can upgrade for $199 that includes a DL3 license, would that route work then, again for 2.1?

Thank you.
"
  • Support for following channel arrangements: 2.0, 2.1, 3,1, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.0.2, 5.1.2, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1, 7.0.2, 7.1.2, Quadraphonic, Pentagonal, Hexagonal, Octagonal, Ambisonic Standalone has an eight channel limit."

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
DLBC? It has been available for a while but still evolving.
Exactly, evolving... but not available to the public :)
The preview version that you have is a testing version and non-complete but we expect that Dirac Bass Control for our own Processor for PC/Mac will be available during the last quarter of this year

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"
  • Support for following channel arrangements: 2.0, 2.1, 3,1, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.0.2, 5.1.2, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1, 7.0.2, 7.1.2, Quadraphonic, Pentagonal, Hexagonal, Octagonal, Ambisonic Standalone has an eight channel limit."

Thank you Kal for your help. I will be using the plug-in and standalone PC version with a Cambridge Audio stereo preamp that has a sub out selector to flat or 200 Hz. So are you confirming that this version of Dirac can EQ 2.1, using the preamp's sub out with a subwoofer?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The preview version that you have is a testing version and non-complete but we expect that Dirac Bass Control for our own Processor for PC/Mac will be available during the last quarter of this year

Hello Flavio, I downloaded the plug-in standalone windows 64 version this morning. It does not say anything about the 14 day trial, that I have to do first before I decide on using it or upgrade the minidsp 2X4 HD to do it with the other version.

Before I start the trial process, can you tell me if I can try it on my laptop for use with one system and then on my desktop with another system, as long as I only use one at any one time?

Do all download version offer the 14-day free trial and does the 14 day count down starts as soon as I installed the software or it will start only when it is used/registered?

Will the minidsp 2X4 HD with the $200 Dirac version work with 2.1 (just one subwoofer)?

Thank you.

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Thank you Kal for your help. I will be using the plug-in and standalone PC version with a Cambridge Audio stereo preamp that has a sub out selector to flat or 200 Hz. So are you confirming that this version of Dirac can EQ 2.1, using the preamp's sub out with a subwoofer?
Hi Peng,

Kal has a preview version for testing purposes that has Bass Control using independent channels for the subs,
if you intend to test Dirac Live seriously with a 2.1 configuration you'd better wait for the Bass Control option to be available for the standalone Dirac Processor.
If you cannot wait you may use a 2.0 configuration with a crossover downstream of Dirac Live so that it will see the combined response of sub + main speakers

P.S.
We've been posting concurrently,
you can use two computers... concurrently as well :)

Didn't check but I'd expect that the trial will start when activated.
Regarding the miniDSP 2x4HD, I think that you can use it as is... as a crossover for the sub downstream of Dirac Live installed on your PC (a 2.0 configuration)
Dirac Live removes the room gain and our perception of bass depends on the listening volume:
so you may experiment with the following alternative Harman curves with different bass boosts which can eventually be modified as desired:

Last edited:

Keened

Forum Donor
Might we see Linux support in The Year of the Linux Desktop ?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Really? Not the impression I get from all the discussion over at AVS Forums.

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Might we see Linux support in The Year of the Linux Desktop ?
I'm sorry, not in the near future as far as I know...

Top Bottom