• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live in hardware vs software

Vasr

Major Contributor
I use Foobar 2000 player with EQ plugin, then import filter from REW. Dirac generated filters can also be imported into Foobar same way, correct?

No, Dirac will not generate filters that you can extract to use outside the Dirac system. You have to install their DLP (Dirac Live Processor) as a VST Plugin and Dirac Live will find it and configure the filters directly into it. The VST host that can host the DLP plugin should be able to display the DLP UI. Most generic VST hosts like Cantabile can but not all audio apps that can take VST plugins can display the DLP UI.

From what you wrote, it seems a good option is to install Dirac in the HTPC, send the signal via HDMI to a pre-pro (in this case the Marantz AV7702-MKII). I'll manually set up the speakers (2x Small/Sub), X-over (80Hz), turn off all DRC (Audyssey), perform the Dirac DRC from the HTPC, add DLBM later when it's available, and I'm good to go. Correct?

Yes, that should work.

TonioRoffo

I use Foobar 2000 player with EQ plugin, then import filter from REW. Dirac generated filters can also be imported into Foobar same way, correct?

Foobar2000 has VST plugins, I'm using it in the same way. Dirac on Foobar as my source. Logitech mediaserver as backend, it has a plugin that shows DLNA/upnp players as squeezebox players. Output to ASIO to my DAC.

Works perfectly.

sophie smith

I have one more question about VST plugin for Dirac.

For my office system, I am considering a streamer based on RPi, such as the recently released and reviewed Boss 2 from Allo or Orchard Pecan Pi. Previously, I was thinking of running minidsp crossover with Dirac filter capabilities. But now I am wondering if there is a player for any of the RPi operating systems that will accept the VSP plugin, similar to Foobar (which is exclusive to windows). I looked at volumio, but could not find VST plugin for it. Any other ideas how to incorporate dirac filters using Rpi streamer and music player instead of widows or mac?

Thanks

Last edited:

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all,

I'm running a 2.1 setup in my office with a NAD 3045 integrated amp. It's connected to my computer via USB, the computer is my only source. My office is my only "audio" room.

I've run through the trial period of Dirac Live 2.0 software and am very impressed. I ran it as a plugin in SoundSource (systemwide) and as a plugin in Audirvana with great results. I'm leaning toward pulling that $350 trigger, but before so want to think through my options.

For $400 i could get a MiniDSP DDRC-24. The pros would be that its more flexible in the sense it would work with different sources and i could move it to other setups. Another pro would be that it could run a dedicated subwoofer channel and management. With the software plugin i manually blend in the sub using REW and then let DL do its thing on the full spectrum as if it were a 2.0 setup.

A con to the DDRC-24 is that its more clutter on my desk and the ADC/DAC quality is questionable and even if it was great, its two more conversions than i currently use in my setup. I also believe that the DL software is non transferable so i could not resell it later.

What other factors or options should i consider?

I will say just stick with software

Top Bottom