• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Management?

Flak

Industry Insider
Deep/machine learning, AI, intelligent, etc., were mandatory buzzwords to get investors to take notice for a while. For a year or so, 4 out 5 pitches had those buzzwords in it. Almost all of them had no intelligence or even any learning in it. Pitches making those tenuous connections to justify them were painful. Now, at least in these parts, people just roll their eyes when they see those buzz words, so it has become counter-productive.

Not a comment on Dirac or what they do or whether it has anything to do with their raising funding.

If it can be more explanatory for some we can say instead that Dirac Live Bass Control uses a genetic algorithm:
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/3-540-44673-7_7

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Flak

Industry Insider
Is there a trial period or limited guarantee?

- Rich
A two weeks trial for the Stereo Processor is available in the page linked by whazzup,
we haven't prepared a trial of the Multichannel version yet but we can enable a temporary license for testing purposes when requested at our HelpDesk:
https://helpdesk.dirac.se (one needs to "Sign up for an account")

Vasr

Major Contributor
If it can be more explanatory for some we can say that Dirac Live Bass Control uses a genetic algorithm:
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/3-540-44673-7_7

Again, I have no knowledge to comment on what Dirac does or does not do. But mentioning the generic algorithm class does not really say anything for me. Have seen too many of these in pitch decks. So, I may be a bit jaded.

At heart, all of these techniques boil down to a heuristic algorithm for searching a large space of possibilities which are non-linear (polynomial or worse) to solve. It can be as simple as dumb problem-constrained pruning to narrow the search space or it could be learning algorithms that improve efficacy of pruning or converging non-linearly with acquisition of more data points. It is the latter implementations that are in short supply despite the same buzz-words used.

Implementations lie in a continuum between the two extremes.

Unfortunately, far too many lie towards the dumb side. Or the problem space does not really exploit or be amenable to the algorithm used but it makes for nice pitch claims for funding or marketing.

Obviously, commenting on whether Dirac uses this effectively or not depends on details that would be proprietary and likely trade secrets.

If the eventual results are good and quick, then consumers will like it despite what technologies or buzz words are used. People are not going to buy Dirac because it uses genetic algorithms. :)

Investors may be persuaded by the right buzz words.. or used to be.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, I have no knowledge to comment on what Dirac does or does not do. But mentioning the generic algorithm class does not really say anything for me. Have seen too many of these in pitch decks. So, I may be a bit jaded.

At heart, all of these techniques boil down to a heuristic algorithm for searching a large space of possibilities which are non-linear (polynomial or worse) to solve. It can be as simple as dumb problem-constrained pruning to narrow the search space or it could be learning algorithms that improve efficacy of pruning or converging non-linearly with acquisition of more data points. It is the latter implementations that are in short supply despite the same buzz-words used.

Implementations lie in a continuum between the two extremes.

Unfortunately, far too many lie towards the dumb side. Or the problem space does not really exploit or be amenable to the algorithm used but it makes for nice pitch claims for funding or marketing.

Obviously, commenting on whether Dirac uses this effectively or not depends on details that would be proprietary and likely trade secrets.

If the eventual results are good and quick, then consumers will like it despite what technologies or buzz words are used. People are not going to buy Dirac because it uses genetic algorithms. :)

Investors may be persuaded by the right buzz words.. or used to be.
Ultimately, it's a toaster, and if it don't burn the bread, or get it stuck where you have to reach down in there with a fork, and get 115v at 15 amps for your trouble, do you really care what algorithm it uses to bring you delicious browned slices of sourdough for your delectation?

BTW, are we close to releasing the version that will work with the vst plug in for Windows and Macs?

Flak

Industry Insider
Ultimately, it's a toaster, and if it don't burn the bread, or get it stuck where you have to reach down in there with a fork, and get 115v at 15 amps for your trouble, do you really care what algorithm it uses to bring you delicious browned slices of sourdough for your delectation?

BTW, are we close to releasing the version that will work with the vst plug in for Windows and Macs?

Yes, it's possible to be added to our list of beta testers of Dirac Live Bass Control for the plugin by contacting us at http://helpdesk.dirac.se
(please "Sign up for an account")
External beta testing is expected to start after the summer holidays.

EB1000

Yes, it's possible to be added to our list of beta testers of Dirac Live Bass Control for the plugin by contacting us at http://helpdesk.dirac.se
(please "Sign up for an account")
External beta testing is expected to start after the summer holidays.

Does your beta program apply to any currently available NAD products? If so, which ones?

Thanks

Flak

Industry Insider
Does your beta program apply to any currently available NAD products? If so, which ones?

Thanks
It applies to PCs or Macs using the Dirac Live Processor... so no, it doesn't apply to NAD components, sorry.
I'm waiting as well for Bass Control for my NAD M10

EB1000

It applies to PCs or Macs using the Dirac Live Processor... so no, it doesn't apply to NAD components, sorry.
I'm waiting as well for Bass Control for my NAD M10

Thanks

Are you saying that even as a Dirac live insider you really do not know the ETA for NAD support of bass control? I'm waiting for it to arrive for my C658 preamp. I've contacted NAD support many times they either never reply or simply dodge this question... What's the holdup?

Gedeon

Forum Donor
Hi. I'm also interested in trying Dirac Live Beta.

I'm just signed for the beta in the web site, so I hope I would be able to test it for a few weeks.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know if any receivers support this now? Wish the Emotiva X1 worked with it.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Arcam, AudioControl, and JBL Synthesis have AVRs that include that possibility.

Should have said new/consumer level level stuff. I saw that post and need something that doesn't cost 4k-10k that I'm seeing.

Somethingfrom a company like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Emotiva etc. perhaps.

Or if MiniDSP would just release something with 84-8 channels with XLR out and optical in or switching inputs.

Soundstage

It feels like it is urgent to wait before buying anything with Dirac right now as it might become obsolete soon (MiniDSP for sure, NAD maybe as well).
Edit: That could explain why those companies are reluctant to communicate.

Last edited:

Flak

Industry Insider
Arcam, AudioControl, and JBL Synthesis have AVRs that include that possibility.
Yes... and presently the Dirac Live Bass Control is also supported by the Monolith HTP-1 and by the StormAudio processors.
NAD also announced that the first NAD components to get it would be the NAD M10 and the NAD C658 but I heard no news since then.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
Should have said new/consumer level level stuff. I saw that post and need something that doesn't cost 4k-10k that I'm seeing.

Somethingfrom a company like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Emotiva etc. perhaps.

Or if MiniDSP would just release something with 84-8 channels with XLR out and optical in or switching inputs.

You might look into the Arcam AV10 and AV20, though you have to spend an additional 350-500 to purchase DLBC. I am unsure if the AV10 will have the possibility of the multisubwoofer option for DLBC. Also, the MSRP pricing isn’t necessarily the price you will have to pay if you shop around. Many dealers will give a pretty significant discount.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He asked for a Dirac "receiver" - means all in one box :rolleyes:

Flak

Industry Insider
If interested in the Dirac Live Bass Control, one can watch this video and save time by jumping to min. 20.30

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He asked for a Dirac "receiver" - means all in one box :rolleyes:

Should have clarified and called it a surround processor or a source component or in-line box.

Top Bottom