• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Management?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The wait for DLP Stereo w/multi-sub support is agonizing (they've priced me out of the MultiChannel version already) - makes the wait to receive the OktoDAC Pro seem like a flash.
I need a version that supports full range stereo mains + 1 sub, which I gather is the Multi-Sub version, correct?
I was hoping for an affordable version for 7.1 but looks like that is not going to happen now.
How much is it?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We will be pleased to replace, free of charge, your Dirac Live 1.x license with one for the new Dirac Live Processor to be used with the Dirac Live 3.x calibration tool.
We need your approval though, we cannot do it unilaterally as the new version has requirements that the previous version didn't have,
please contact us at https://helpdesk.dirac.se (you'll need to "Sign up for an account")

Thanks, Flavio
I'm going to do that next week, but I don't know why all this could not have been explained right on the website instead of buried so deeply you need to find out via the internet (and not your website) that you have to go to the helpdesk. The people who bought Dirac Live and put it on their computers five years ago are the ur-customer base that allowed you to demonstrate the efficacy of your product and persuade audio equipment OEM manufacturers to create these lucrative deals for you to bundle it on their hardware.

So we deserve better than we're getting right now IMHO.

Flak

Industry Insider
The wait for DLP Stereo w/multi-sub support is agonizing (they've priced me out of the MultiChannel version already) - makes the wait to receive the OktoDAC Pro seem like a flash.
I need a version that supports full range stereo mains + 1 sub, which I gather is the Multi-Sub version, correct?
I was hoping for an affordable version for 7.1 but looks like that is not going to happen now.

Yes, better wait for the Stereo version with Bass Control as Music1969 suggested :)

dziemian

In my opinion first and second tier of Bass Control with manual and automatic control of single subwoofer should be a part of Multichannel plugin. After all there is a sub which must be controled somehow. It is unfair to offer multichannel option with sub control which in reality is not properlly controlled as you still need a separate module for that. When you have multisubwoofer setup it is diffrent. This kind of setup needs a separate software to deal with extra work. Until now I was using Multisub Optimizer togather with REW but it is very complicated and I would love to automate the process. On the other hand if you have stereo setup and you want to add subwoofer(s) to your setup it is also ok to charge for extra module as subs are not a part of original stereo DL version. Stereo DL with Bass Control module would be great.

Last edited:

tbrooke

I recently got a Lexicon RV-6 - I played with the Lexicon Version 2 of Dirac and just Downloaded version 3 that appears to work but I haven't uploaded a filter yet. I checked on the web page about the Bass Control - it seemed to say Lexiocn supported it but I did not see any Lexicon products in the drop down. It did have ARCAM products and I understand that their receivers are about, or may be the same, as Lexicon. Does anyone know if Bass Control will work in the RV-6?

EB1000

Exciting news for the NAD C658 owners! Waiting for Dirac Live Bass Control support? Well, you do not need to wait any longer, because you'll NEVER get it! This is the latest reply I got from NAD support regarding the issue:

I cannot speak on behalf of what your dealer may have told you, and while we are very excited about our DIRAC partnership, we currently do not have details or time frames regarding DIRAC Bass Control we can share with you at this time...

In other words, don't hold your breath for this. NAD most likely is preserving the Bass control feature for their upcoming M33 integrated amp. No bass control for any currently available NAD products.

This was my first and last NAD product!

Vasr

Major Contributor
Exciting news for the NAD C658 owners! Waiting for Dirac Live Bass Control support? Well, you do not need to wait any longer, because you'll NEVER get it! This is the latest reply I got from NAD support regarding the issue:

I cannot speak on behalf of what your dealer may have told you, and while we are very excited about our DIRAC partnership, we currently do not have details or time frames regarding DIRAC Bass Control we can share with you at this time...

In other words, don't hold your breath for this. NAD most likely is preserving the Bass control feature for their upcoming M33 integrated amp. No bass control for any currently available NAD products.

This was my first and last NAD product!

I have no love/hate for NAD but I think this is an over-reacting conclusion. NAD isn't the first or only company to have had issues with Dirac integration and slipping deadlines. Even if they didn't have a problem, other than Emotiva which keeps shooting itself in the foot with committing to future release date, no company will give out a definite date for anything even if it is ready to go the next day until the marketing has made a public PR release.

I am getting the sense that there is a lot of issues involved in incorporating Dirac - how much of it is technical, how much is financial/contractual I don't know.

I understand the frustration though.

Flak

Industry Insider
Our bad :(

A common criticism of Bass Control with multiple subwoofers is the lack of bass after a calibration.
Users find much more satisfying bass with DLBC OFF (standard Dirac Live) than when using Bass Control... why so?
This is a misunderstanding caused by us not explaining well how Bass Control works.
By using the same target for each sub their outputs will sum up in standard Dirac Live as each sub is measured and corrected individually while DLBC will take the summation into account and decrease their outputs accordingly.
We also expect to release (hopefully tomorrow) a new Dirac Live update where the target curve will be loaded to both the symmetric channels and the bass group, we will add an additional option to load the same desired target curve to all channels at once (including the bass channel)
That is an important update for users of Bass Control with one subwoofer as well.

Thanks for taking the above into account and for sharing your findings after having used the upcoming update,
Flavio

P.S. Arcam is also expected to release an update which will increase the headroom assigned to the DSP in order to avoid the distortion that some find with some tracks

Last edited:

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
Our bad :(

A common criticism of Bass Control with multiple subwoofers is the lack of bass after a calibration.
Users find much more satisfying bass with DLBC OFF (standard Dirac Live) than when using Bass Control... why so?
This is a misunderstanding caused by us not explaining well how Bass Control works.
By using the same target for each sub their outputs will sum up in standard Dirac Live as each sub is measured and corrected individually while DLBC will take the summation into account and decrease their outputs accordingly.
We also expect to release (hopefully tomorrow) a new Dirac Live update where the target curve will be loaded to both the symmetric channels and the bass group, we will add an additional option to load the same desired target curve to all channels at once (including the bass channel)
That is an important update for users of Bass Control with one subwoofer as well.

Thanks for taking the above into account and for sharing your findings after having used the upcoming update,
Flavio

P.S. Arcam is also expected to release an update which will increase the headroom assigned to the DSP in order to avoid the distortion that some find with some tracks

Well, this is quite encouraging.

Flak

Industry Insider
Just for fun :)

Dirac Live Bass Control uses machine learning and AI to quickly determine the ideal settings for multiple subwoofers and can apply filters automatically, simplifying a procedure that could otherwise take several days to complete.
One can see it at work and realize how fast it is here:
http://diracdocs.com/DiracLiveBassControl.mp4
initially, the purple line shows the result of the interaction between main and sub (Upmix Only) while at the end you'll see the results of the correction (Full Bass Optimisation)
Results are found so fast that one can easily evaluate alternative values for the crossover frequency.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OH MY, artificial intelligence now is it? WHOA

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah, that term is a bit long in the tooth. We live in an age where actual intelligence is rarely applied ;)
I have seen people wearing masks that is sparsely populated on the top a mountain with steady 20 MPH wind.

- Rich

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, that term is a bit long in the tooth. We live in an age where actual intelligence is rarely applied ;)
I have seen people wearing masks that is sparsely populated on the top a mountain with steady 20 MPH wind.

- Rich

What's wrong with that? Better to be in the habit of wearing masks than not be in the habit, and be caught out recklessly endangering others.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How does one get Dirac on PC nowadays? Can be bought and installed? Or I can only get the software by buying specific amps?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How does one get Dirac on PC nowadays? Can be bought and installed? Or I can only get the software by buying specific amps?
At their website.
Yes.
Either way.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Bass Management Upgrade is only $349 for single sub users, $499 for multisubs. :rolleyes:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's wrong with that? Better to be in the habit of wearing masks than not be in the habit, and be caught out recklessly endangering others.

By all means, but no one was wearing goggles ;)

- Rich

Vasr

Major Contributor

Deep/machine learning, AI, intelligent, etc., were mandatory buzzwords to get investors to take notice for a while. For a year or so, 4 out 5 pitches had those buzzwords in it. Almost all of them had no intelligence or even any learning in it. Pitches making those tenuous connections to justify them were painful. Now, at least in these parts, people just roll their eyes when they see those buzz words, so it has become counter-productive.

Not a comment on Dirac or what they do or whether it has anything to do with their raising funding.

Top Bottom