• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Management?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes, we are presently beta testing the multichannel Dirac Live Processor and Bass Control will follow

Multichannel plugin Beta is over? That was quick !?

So this multichannel plugin + Dirac Live 3.0 supports Bass Control?

If I have multichannel USB DAC (Focusrite 18i20) I can use 2 of those channels for 2 independent subwoofers and use Bass Control with this new multichannel plugin + Dirac Live 3.0?

1591764344451.png

Last edited:

Flak

Industry Insider
Multichannel plugin Beta is over? That was quick !?

So this multichannel plugin + Dirac Live 3.0 supports Bass Control?

If I have multichannel USB DAC (Focusrite 18i20) I can use 2 of those channels for 2 independent subwoofers and use Bass Control with this new multichannel plugin + Dirac Live 3.0?

View attachment 68134
Yes, the Multichannel version is ready but Bass Control is not yet and will follow.
As of now, Bass Control is only available for enabled AVRs and Processors like JBL Synthesis, Arcam, StormAudio, (and others soon)
The Multichannel Dirac Live Processor is intended for surround configurations, if you're thinking of a Stereo setup with subwoofers you probably need to be patient and wait for something like a Stereo version with Bass Control which would take full advantage of your multichannel USB/DAC

Music1969

Major Contributor
if you're thinking of a Stereo setup with subwoofers you probably need to be patient and wait for something like a Stereo version with Bass Control which would take full advantage of your multichannel USB/DAC

Thanks! Yes this is exactly what I’m waiting for (and many other people also).

Thanks for the update.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, the Multichannel version is ready but Bass Control is not yet and will follow.
As of now, Bass Control is only available for enabled AVRs and Processors like JBL Synthesis, Arcam, StormAudio, (and others soon)
The Multichannel Dirac Live Processor is intended for surround configurations, if you're thinking of a Stereo setup with subwoofers you probably need to be patient and wait for something like a Stereo version with Bass Control which would take full advantage of your multichannel USB/DAC

What does that mean? No built-in bass management in the upcoming "Bass Control" version of the processor, i.e. no crossover splice optimization between subs and sats?

Flak

Industry Insider
What does that mean? No built-in bass management in the upcoming "Bass Control" version of the processor, i.e. no crossover splice optimization between subs and sats?
I probably didn't explain well... built-in bass management (i.e. crossover splice optimization between subs and sats) will of course be in the upcoming Bass Control version of the processor.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I probably didn't explain well... built-in bass management (i.e. crossover splice optimization between subs and sats) will of course be in the upcoming Bass Control version of the processor.
So when are we getting a version that runs on a windows box. I own version 1.0 and run it on a HP Envy I7 Window box. Every time I load version 2.0 or 3.0 it tells me there are no supported devices on my network. Given that version 2.0 was announced in April 2018 and apparantly a version 3.0 is out there, it's kind of ridiculous. Will Dirac Inc or won't Dirac Inc be releasing an updated version of their original stand alone product that was designed to run on PC's and only PC's?

Flak

Industry Insider
So when are we getting a version that runs on a windows box. I own version 1.0 and run it on a HP Envy I7 Window box. Every time I load version 2.0 or 3.0 it tells me there are no supported devices on my network. Given that version 2.0 was announced in April 2018 and apparantly a version 3.0 is out there, it's kind of ridiculous. Will Dirac Inc or won't Dirac Inc be releasing an updated version of their original stand alone product that was designed to run on PC's and only PC's?

In order to use Dirac Live in a standalone PC or Mac configuration, one needs Dirac Live (the calibration tool) and the Dirac Live Processor (that's the device that couldn't be found when you downloaded the Dirac Live calibration tool only)
As an owner of a Dirac Live 1.x license you can get it free of charge, please contact us at https://helpdesk.dirac.se
(you'll need to "Sign up for an account")

dziemian

Dirac Live and DL processor for PC are already working. However there is a change. In old Dirac Live the processor was running indepently as a separate program. In DL 3.0 you need a vst device to install stereo / multichannel processor plugin (In my case it is inside of Jriver MC26). I was using DL VST beta plugin since 2018 so no change for me apart from a rebuild software. If I want to listen Spotify or watch netflix with DL engaged everything goes through Jriver's WDM driver. It is easy when you learn how to use it. I dont know why Dirac has decided to go this way but apparantely it is related to a new module system with a possibility to add extra functions. I am eagerly waiting for bass control module and expect that in some time we will get a module for building multiway systems with active crossovers. But that is only my guess..

Flak

Industry Insider
@dziemian Yes, we need to get a UI up and running and then external beta testing of Dirac Live Processor with Bass Control will start (hopefully soon)

I take the opportunity to post also here that it's still possible to watch a recording of a webinar by StormAudio about Dirac Live Bass Control... Jakob Agren explains and provides details about its inner workings:
https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/8043050009869528846

Last edited:

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dirac Live and DL processor for PC are already working. However there is a change. In old Dirac Live the processor was running indepently as a separate program. In DL 3.0 you need a vst device to install stereo / multichannel processor plugin (In my case it is inside of Jriver MC26). I was using DL VST beta plugin since 2018 so no change for me apart from a rebuild software. If I want to listen Spotify or watch netflix with DL engaged everything goes through Jriver's WDM driver. It is easy when you learn how to use it. I dont know why Dirac has decided to go this way but apparantely it is related to a new module system with a possibility to add extra functions. I am eagerly waiting for bass control module and expect that in some time we will get a module for building multiway systems with active crossovers. But that is only my guess..
I have J River MC21, so I've used it for 5 years. I'm aware DL said it migrated over to becoming vst plug ins. I know how to upload plug ins, and have several on JRiver already. That's not the problem. My problem is with being given the new files b/c I have to download them onto my PC first before I can download the plugins to JRiver. The website neither talks about where traditional Dirac Live 1.0 stand alone (run DL on the PC) users can get the new software. It only provides with PC part of the control for AV hardware components that use DL like NAD and miniDSP. Not interested in that. I want the pure software that runs on a PC, the web site where the 3.0 version is uploaded, and the website where I can upgrade to multi channel and add bass management. What's available now for PC users along those lines? And if something is not available, when will it be made available. Dirac has been extremely non-helpful to say the least!

Music1969

Major Contributor
Acourate and Audiolense have standalone convolver's

If Dirac Live 3.0 won't be a convolver hopefully Dirac can consider a separate standalone convolver app too @Flak

Instead of trying to get 3rd party routing programs to work.

Flak

Industry Insider
I want the pure software that runs on a PC, the web site where the 3.0 version is uploaded, and the website where I can upgrade to multi channel and add bass management. What's available now for PC users along those lines? And if something is not available, when will it be made available. Dirac has been extremely non-helpful to say the least!

We will be pleased to replace, free of charge, your Dirac Live 1.x license with one for the new Dirac Live Processor to be used with the Dirac Live 3.x calibration tool.
We need your approval though, we cannot do it unilaterally as the new version has requirements that the previous version didn't have,
please contact us at https://helpdesk.dirac.se (you'll need to "Sign up for an account")

Thanks, Flavio

dziemian

Like Flavio wrote if you want a new Dirac 3.0 with extra add-on in future you need to use vst host. For some people it might be a problem. When you write to Dirac they will exchange your licence. In my case I needed to create a new account and ask help desk to move new licences there. Multichannel version of the processor is available since this or previous week only. When you get your new licence ready there will be download folder with both processor and DL application.

Flak

Industry Insider
Like Flavio wrote if you want a new Dirac 3.0 with extra add-on in future you need to use vst host. For some people it might be a problem. When you write to Dirac they will exchange your licence. In my case I needed to create a new account and ask help desk to move new licences there. Multichannel version of the processor is available since this or previous week only. When you get your new licence ready there will be download folder with both processor and DL application.

Correct, let me add that popular media players like JRiver, Audirvana, etc. can act as VST or AU hosts and use Dirac Live 3.x and the Dirac Live Processor.

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
In the DLBC User’s Manual, it says each sub should have its own “logical” channel. No Y-splits. Does that mean each sub (I run three) would have to have a discreet output from my dac? (I use powered monitors.) This may make the Okto 8 Pro a very attractive option.

Music1969

Major Contributor
In the DLBC User’s Manual, it says each sub should have its own “logical” channel. No Y-splits. Does that mean each sub (I run three) would have to have a discreet output from my dac? (I use powered monitors.) This may make the Okto 8 Pro a very attractive option.

Yes but then (I believe) you also need to wait for the stereo DLP with multi-sub bass control support - to use USB multichannel DACs

Which @Flak mentioned will take some time.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The wait for DLP Stereo w/multi-sub support is agonizing (they've priced me out of the MultiChannel version already) - makes the wait to receive the OktoDAC Pro seem like a flash.
I need a version that supports full range stereo mains + 1 sub, which I gather is the Multi-Sub version, correct?
I was hoping for an affordable version for 7.1 but looks like that is not going to happen now.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The wait for DLP Stereo w/multi-sub support is agonizing

I know, it's the one many people have long been waiting for.

I need a version that supports full range stereo mains + 1 sub, which I gather is the Multi-Sub version, correct?.

I don't know if the current new multichannel DLP will do 2.1 right now but @Flak can confirm.

If not, then I believe for Diract Live Plugin for 2.1 support, you will need to wait for 2 channel plus multi-sub support (even though you only need 1 sub)

Top Bottom