• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After about two weeks Dirac finally answered and gave me the 25% student discount code :)

It’s still a lot money just for software but it’s the only upgrade that makes sense to my setup now.

I built a few bass traps last week and also got basotect panels for the ceiling and cannot stuff any more treatment inside my 2.5x5m room.
My LS50 (OG) aren’t particularly linear, so I‘m excited to see what Dirac can do.
Test test trial I once did lead to pleasant results but I didn’t have a sub back then)

juliangst

I ended up only paying 240€ for the Stereo license with student discount.

The default target curve is a bit bassier but sounds a lot better than my own filters (with harman target).
I did a quick comparision between EQ APO and Dirac (with the MMM RTA method):

1675705435712.png

fineMen

Major Contributor
I ended up only paying 240€ for the Stereo license with student discount.
Great news that today a student can afford a 240$ (extra?!) software license for an automated personal multi-channel subwoofer stereo but not home-theater setup. When I was at university I learned how to do things myself. But depends on what the studies are about, I assume.

I wonder anyway why all that needs to be automated. I personally check my stereo with one subwoofer on myself without automation and happily reach better results than displayed above?

juliangst

Great news that today a student can afford a 240$ (extra?!) software license for an automated personal multi-channel subwoofer stereo but not home-theater setup. When I was at university I learned how to do things myself. But depends on what the studies are about, I assume.

I wonder anyway why all that needs to be automated. I personally check my stereo with one subwoofer on myself without automation and happily reach better results than displayed above?
Mainly got it for speaker and phase correction. It just made more sense to me to save up for this license instead of buying better speakers.
Speakers and sub(s) will always change at some point but software like Dirac will stay forever

armigo

Forum Donor
One question is Bass Management sofar only available for stereo or also for the multi-channel version of Dirac Standalone?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
One question is Bass Management sofar only available for stereo or also for the multi-channel version of Dirac Standalone?
With Dirac standalone (ie on PC), you have as many channels as you set up... if you want 2.1 then that's what you set up....

Dirac has bass management, but if you want more sophisticated control then you need to purchase the Dirac Live Bass Control option (at additional price) - which comes in single sub or multi-sub version (multi-sub costs more)

armigo

Forum Donor
With Dirac standalone (ie on PC), you have as many channels as you set up... if you want 2.1 then that's what you set up....

Dirac has bass management, but if you want more sophisticated control then you need to purchase the Dirac Live Bass Control option (at additional price) - which comes in single sub or multi-sub version (multi-sub costs more)
I am sorry if I question wasn't clear I know the version but for standalone bass management is still a beta right? As most people so far have only talked about the beta for 2.1 systems I was wondering if it is also available for the multi-channel version. I currently can't test it as I am traveling for work but I currently have a 5.2 system where I just feed the subs the same signal and it would be great to use bass management instead.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I’ve got the stereo version of Dirac Live and recently received a BC beta license. There doesn’t appear to be a limit on the number of subwoofers, I’m using two.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
BTW the beta program for DLBC has ended and they are not giving beta licenses away anymore. They say the release will be "very soon".
So they probably already started the traditional pre-release Entmoot. ;-)

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
BTW the beta program for DLBC has ended and they are not giving beta licenses away anymore. They say the release will be "very soon".
So they probably already started the traditional pre-release Entmoot. ;-)

Interesting, I wonder whether they’ll come asking for money soon :)

juliangst

Has anyone tried using Dirac Live multichannel on MacOS with Atmos or any other surround setup?
I know that you can play Atmos content from Apple Music and Apple TV to any multichannel interface.

But how does this setup work with Dirac and Loopback in the signal chain?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
So will this new Dirac ART version work with a 2.1 or 2.2 setup ? I'm currently playing around with HouseCurve (iOS) app and Roon Convolution filters.

If I want to go to the next level would a Dirac license and a microphone be enough to implement this into roon?

In a YouTube video of storm audio they mentioned 299 USD for the ART license. + A microphone and this would be a affordable " upgrade". Probably better than spending a lot on new speakers .

dlaloum

Major Contributor
So will this new Dirac ART version work with a 2.1 or 2.2 setup ? I'm currently playing around with HouseCurve (iOS) app and Roon Convolution filters.

If I want to go to the next level would a Dirac license and a microphone be enough to implement this into roon?

In a YouTube video of storm audio they mentioned 299 USD for the ART license. + A microphone and this would be a affordable " upgrade". Probably better than spending a lot on new speakers .
My reading of Dirac's explanations of the way it works, is that yes absolutely it will work with 2.1 or 2.2, but the nature of the beast is, the more speakers you have the better it works.

Even if the additional "supporting speakers" are receiving no primary signal, they will still improve the ability of the system to reduce undesired reflections.

I think we may be looking at a paradigm something like this: "each additional speaker reduces overall reflections amplitude sum, by X db"
So 2.1 will reduce reflections by perhaps 9db, where 5.1 would achieve 18db reduction.

At a guess, due to the way our ears/brain work, there will be a point of diminishing return.... just like channel seperation... yes 80db is better than 20db... but with the 20db we achieve with Vinyl LP's we get 99% of the desired effect.... with digital we get 90+db of seperation, but only a marginal affect on imaging.

I would think at 4 speakers, L/R/SL/SR you will probably get 90% of the benefit... with the positions of the surround speakers being advantageous - L/R/Sub, might be down at 60% of the benefit... and 5.1 or more might crawl its way upwards in incremental improvement steps. (all of this is a gut response from reading the descriptions, I look forward to in depth reviews and measurements!!)

I also think that the "supporting" role of the speakers active together is likely to substantially reduce the benefit gained from subs...

As I have said elsewhere, I think we are looking at a complete paradigm shift in how we optimise our Audio setups, whether straight stereo, full surround, or hybrids thereof.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thanks for clarifying that. That would really open up a lot of options to improve 5.1 and Atmos music. Or quadrophonic. :)

So soon people will have flat wall mounted speakers to improve room accustic instead of absorber panels

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Thanks for clarifying that. That would really open up a lot of options to improve 5.1 and Atmos music. Or quadrophonic. :)

So soon people will have flat wall mounted speakers to improve room accustic instead of absorber panels
Ikea have some speaker "pictures" designed to be hung on the wall, they look like pictures... and apparently the sound is not half bad. (no, I have not heard them, just read some reviews... reviewers were surprised at the sound quality)

So, yes, that could well be a viable option... and a reason why AVR's/AVP's with more channels may find a greater market

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

Mowz

Where is the discount information? I am having trouble seeing it on the link.

Top Bottom