• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

Does bass control also adjust the phase and delays what you would usually do on the sub itself?
Yes, phase, EQ, impulse response and crossover region.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hey @Flak sorry if already discussed. What will be the price of this? I guess one must buy the multichannel license (500$) and then buy an upgrade?
Edit: I see in post 1 that it will work with the stereo license?? How many channels then? 2.1, 2.2, 2.infinite? :D

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

Those links are useless as a specific license is needed and one can only get it as a beta tester by contacting us on the HelpDesk....
Created a ticket with a request. Thanks for letting me know.

Flak

Industry Insider
Hey @Flak sorry if already discussed. What will be the price of this? I guess one must buy the multichannel license (500$) and then buy an upgrade?
Edit: I see in post 1 that it will work with the stereo license?? How many channels then? 2.1, 2.2, 2.infinite? :D
Sorry, the pricing structure has not been announced yet... neither has the product :)

Reactions: MCH

DutchJay

Hi all,

I have a question on the standard dirac live vs bass control.

I have 5.1.4 set up. If I would run a standard version of dirac live, will it also EQ my single subwoofer for the main listening position?

Is that the difference with bass control that with bass control dirac will make sure you have good bass across mutiple seats and with standard Dirac live it is only in your seat?

Or will the standard Dirac live do nothing with your sub and focus only on the bass of your speakers?

Thanks.

sharock

Hi all,

I have a question on the standard dirac live vs bass control.

I have 5.1.4 set up. If I would run a standard version of dirac live, will it also EQ my single subwoofer for the main listening position?

Is that the difference with bass control that with bass control dirac will make sure you have good bass across mutiple seats and with standard Dirac live it is only in your seat?

Or will the standard Dirac live do nothing with your sub and focus only on the bass of your speakers?

Thanks.

Unless I'm doing something wrong (2.2 using NAD C658 with BluOS and Dirac Live), my experience is that standard DL will EQ your subwoofer's response to your desired target curve, but make no effort to integrate it nicely with the mains beyond choice of crossover frequency. So that nice little corrected graph you see in Dirac is not the reality if you actually measure with REW after correction.

This is why I'm looking forward to getting proper DLBC.

DutchJay

Unless I'm doing something wrong (2.2 using NAD C658 with BluOS and Dirac Live), my experience is that standard DL will EQ your subwoofer's response to your desired target curve, but make no effort to integrate it nicely with the mains beyond choice of crossover frequency. So that nice little corrected graph you see in Dirac is not the reality if you actually measure with REW after correction.

This is why I'm looking forward to getting proper DLBC.
Thanks for that.

What is the result of this non intergration? Can you hear it?

J.

sharock

Thanks for that.

What is the result of this non intergration? Can you hear it?

J.
I haven't saved the graphs but it seemed to introduce peaks and dips in some places that were not apparent in the Dirac corrected graph. Whether I can hear them or not is a good question. However, I am aiming for as smooth as I can get ideally when measured.

I had better results by using the 2 subs from a single output with Y-splitter, fiddling with their phase manually pre-Dirac and then correcting. I suspect DLBC will be far superior to this labour-intensive tweaking.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes, it will EQ that sub but you are left with the task of determining the crossovers for the LFE/sub.
Not the case. The difference with BC is that it will determine/recommend optimal crossover and also attempt to optimize any crossover you choose. All versions of DL attempt to give you good bass (and good performance in general) with all speakers including the sub(s). However, adding BC, especially with multiple subs, makes it more powerful.
Nope. It works with all the speakers you have but see above.

DevinCortno

With this new Bass Control, does that mean the standalone PC app will now bass manage and use the sub on all content?

I got a 2.1 calibration working but 2.0 content (FLACs, spotify, etc.) remains in 2.0 and doesn't use the subwoofer. After setting up a crossover and switching back to the VST version (which is very annoying to setup in 2.1 I might add), I'm seeing the same suck out in the bass that @Flak just linked to as well.

DutchJay

Yes, it will EQ that sub but you are left with the task of determining the crossovers for the LFE/sub.
Thanks for your answer. So you would have to measure all speakers with REW after running Dirac to check if the crossover is OK? If not based on the response you get adjust, redo Dirac measurement and afterwards another REW measurement in the hope that it improves?

GalZohar

Thanks for your answer. So you would have to measure all speakers with REW after running Dirac to check if the crossover is OK? If not based on the response you get adjust, redo Dirac measurement and afterwards another REW measurement in the hope that it improves?
Not sure how it works specifically with Dirac, but normally you can manually change crossover and subwoofer delay (distance) after calibration and re-measure with REW, without needing to rerun the entire calibration. Same goes for target curve adjustments.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You do not need to re-do all the measurements if you just want to make changes in crossover or target curves.

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

Hi there.

Some updates from my end. For office system...

TL;TR; incredible improvement for my office system

1. Low end much better controlled, less edginess and resonances, room gain gone... very very focused and tight...
2. Mains do better job in upper bass and lower midrange, after reducing bass output (Bass Control basically is an Active Cross Over to mains as well), so THD do not leak from lows to upper bass and lower midrange... I can catch difference by ear.
3. Phase is controlled better - leads to as well to cleaner/smoother transition from sub to mains ( I do not hear sub as sub at all... it's like mains are playing...) and better phase control leads to smoother bass across sub frequencies... I will check BC: Complete next week, for now it is only Upmix

System:

AMP: Aiyima A07 with changed OpAmp/updated power (about CD quality SINAD)
Sony SSCS5 (quite good with EQ for table system)
Sub: SVS SB1000PRO (fine 300W sub)
Virtual Multichannel DAC: Hidizs S9Pro + Apple Dongle USB C (SINAD about -110DB for both)

1. Requested via Support access for Bass Control (a couple weeks ago), Installed beta and activated Dirac Live Processor with my account, where Bass Control became available (see instruction below)
2. Measured only today, had to travel for a couple weeks. No problem with Dirac Live Suite, works as expected. Figured out Cross Over, Phase, impulse response, Target Curve etc...
3. I used virtual multichannel DAC for now only with one sub (I have spare second sub, will measure probably with 2 subs next week). I'm using Loopback app for Mac OS, with two different DAC (Hidizs S9Pro for mains and Apple Dongle USB C for Sub, cheap and clean, left overs from headphones...). In loopback I create 4 channels in Pass-Thru device, create Channels 1 2 3 4 for output and route these to monitors, with target DACs (for now for one sub I use only one channel, which I understand is mono that will be passed by Dirac Live Processor)

1670725776377.png

Then I selected Custom Channel Setup in Dirac Live Processor

1670725924532.png

Then I add Sub and select Channel 3 as Sub Output (next week will add second sub)

1670725892546.png

And we ready to calibrate...

These are some results, which are not to shabby...

After measurements, I exported filter and got 3 channels in Processor displaying in level meter, and Loopback demonstrated 3 channel working...

One issue that I faced, I could not use Bass Control Complete, only UpMix... probably requires two sub at least? will check it later.

1670726268920.png

p.s. Will post on 2 Subs update later.
p.p.s. Managed to enable BC: Complete.

Last edited:

Jorgitok

Hi there.

Some updates from my end. For office system...

TL;TR; incredible improvement for my office system

1. Low end much better controlled, less edginess and resonances, room gain gone... very very focused and tight...
2. Mains do better job in upper bass and lower midrange, after reducing bass output (Bass Control basically is an Active Cross Over to mains as well), so THD do not leak from lows to upper bass and lower midrange... I can catch difference by ear.
3. Phase is controlled better - leads to as well to cleaner/smoother transition from sub to mains ( I do not hear sub as sub at all... it's like mains are playing...) and better phase control leads to smoother bass across sub frequencies... I will check BC: Complete next week, for now it is only Upmix

System:

AMP: Aiyima A07 with changed OpAmp/updated power (about CD quality SINAD)
Sony SSCS5 (quite good with EQ for table system)
Sub: SVS SB1000PRO (fine 300W sub)
Virtual Multichannel DAC: Hidizs S9Pro + Apple Dongle USB C (SINAD about -110DB for both)

1. Requested via Support access for Bass Control (a couple weeks ago), Installed beta and activated Dirac Live Processor with my account, where Bass Control became available (see instruction below)
2. Measured only today, had to travel for a couple weeks. No problem with Dirac Live Suite, works as expected. Figured out Cross Over, Phase, impulse response, Target Curve etc...
3. I used virtual multichannel DAC for now only with one sub (I have spare second sub, will measure probably with 2 subs next week). I'm using Loopback app for Mac OS, with two different DAC (Hidizs S9Pro for mains and Apple Dongle USB C for Sub, cheap and clean, left overs from headphones...). In loopback I create 4 channels in Pass-Thru device, create Channels 1 2 3 4 for output and route these to monitors, with target DACs (for now for one sub I use only one channel, which I understand is mono that will be passed by Dirac Live Processor)

View attachment 249183

Then I selected Custom Channel Setup in Dirac Live Processor

View attachment 249185

Then I add Sub and select Channel 3 as Sub Output (next week will add second sub)

View attachment 249184

And we ready to calibrate...

These are some results, which are not to shabby...

After measurements, I exported filter and got 3 channels in Processor displaying in level meter, and Loopback demonstrated 3 channel working...

One issue that I faced, I could not use Bass Control Complete, only UpMix... probably requires two sub at least? will check it later.

View attachment 249186

p.s. Will post on 2 Subs update later.
p.p.s. Managed to enable BC: Complete.
Can you use an old measurement or is mandatory to run a new sweep?

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

Can you use an old measurement or is mandatory to run a new sweep?
Old 2 channel measurement? I think you have to do a new sweep for 3 and more channels.

Jorgitok

Old 2 channel measurement? I think you have to do a new sweep for 3 and more channels.
The old channel measurement was 2 channels AND a Subwoofer with NO available DLBC. Do I need to run a new sweep if DLBC feature is made available?

Top Bottom