• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That can drastically change how certain speakers are designed. Full Rangel center speakers do exist, but height...

KEF just released a 10" + coax 3-way (though I wish it had an angled driver). Several companies currently sell 3-way in ceiling speakers with 8" drivers and an amiable coax, including Monitor Audio and Sonance. JBL Pro has a bunch of big ceiling speakers. Tannoy and KEF have 8" coax ceiling speaker that can give decent output, but unfortunately both point straight down. JBL has SCL-5, which looks to have a very nice 7" woofer - likely better than the one in their SCL-4 in wall based motor structure - and an angled waveguide. Klipsch has one with two 5" woofers in a vented cabinet and an asymmetrical horn - I would love to see measurements on that one! So there are options out there. None of them are cheap, but unfortunately that's the way of things.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had to guess, the center will contribute the least out of any speaker to spatial room correction. For two reasons, one is that it's already the heaviest loaded speaker in the entire system, so there's less room for it to be playing extra stuff, and secondly it's not in a good position to oppose any other speakers' reflections except maybe for the rear surrounds(kinda).

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After all the tears I’ve gone thru to learn dirac, audiolense, and accurate I think I’m ready for a click..click…listen solution. This might be great as I’ve had to set all of this up by hand on my SHD
What are your thoughts on the 3 systems? Very few have used all 3.

Geertidow

Hi music and movies lovers.

Context: Dirac Live IMO is the best room correction / smart EQ tool available now. https://www.dirac.com/live/studio-audio-for-creatives/

Stereo license allows you to run Dirac Live Processor as an app on your PC/MAC (exactly what I'm doing).

Now, Dirac Live also has an high-end option for Bass Control (to crossover / phase management / eq of multiple subs) to merge it within room and mains for stereo. This option available only with high-end and pricy integrated amps and processors.

I asked support for clarification, how I can use it with my app, now it is impossible, but upgrade coming this year for Dirac Live Stereo setup, only what we need now, multichannel DAC (topping / miniDSP quite affordable options)

It will be a Christmas present for myself indeed :D

View attachment 232163
For my understanding: if I would hook up a pc via usb to my minidsp flex, and buy a dirac license for the pc, I could use bass control?

Fidji

The reason it's a big deal is that, if it actually works, it will provide a real alternative to room treatment in terms of controlling reflections. Right now, EQ can't directly help you with reflections, only absorption and changing speaker placement can. It also provides a direct benefit in sound quality from having more speakers -- with spatial room correction, your surround/height speakers make your stereo system sound better even if they're not being used for multichannel content.

Really curious about this one. Bass is relatively easy to fix - you just need throw enough subwoofers around the place with a bit of lucidity and then it is easy, at least in <80Hz area. Issue is when somebody expects to get some magic out of 2 subs and 2 ported fronts. But to work above 100Hz - this will be real challenge - there you have all the directivity, still all the ugly room modes up to 250Hz etc. It will be marvel of the engineering if it really works.

Will it work for sweet spot only? For multiple seats? How will it handle modern over-reverberant places? How much of the headroom will it take from the system? We will see.
At the end of the day - good old Audyssey in properly treated room, with properly set-up system will still probably sound better. You can not really compensate for acoustics of the bad room. At least my experience - the more speakers you add to bad sounding space - it makes the sound only worse. Couple of weeks ago I had chance to listen to expensive 7.1.4 setup in modern living room with Dirac and it was just plain bad.

And for those with properly set-up HT systems - will it be of any use? Questions, Questions.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Really curious about this one. Bass is relatively easy to fix - you just need throw enough of subwoofers around the place with a bit of lucidity and then it is easy, at least in <80Hz area. Issue is when somebody expects to get some magic out of 2 subs and 2 ported fronts. But to work above 100Hz - this will be real challenge - there you have all the directivity, still all the ugly room modes up to 250Hz etc. It will be marvel of the engineering if it really works.

Will it work for sweet spot only? For multiple seats? How will it handle modern over-reverberant places? How much of the headroom will it take from the system? We will see.
At the end of the day - good old Audyssey in properly treated room, with properly set-up system will still probably sound better. You can not beat acoustics of the bad room. At least my experience - the more speakers you add to bad sounding space - it makes the sound only worse. Couple of weeks ago I had chance to listen to expensive 7.1.4 setup in modern living room with Dirac and it was just plain bad.

And for those with properly set-up HT systems - will it be of any use? Questions, Questions.
Apparently the Dirac SRC system is due to be demonstrated at CES in January... along with further details of its progress (and perhaps its actual release?!)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
For my understanding: if I would hook up a pc via usb to my minidsp flex, and buy a dirac license for the pc, I could use bass control?
I doubt it. AFAIK, none of the MiniDSP Flex models will accept more than 2 input channels. For bass control to work, DL (in the PC) needs to handle the subs directly.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exactly, you’d need a 4 or more channel Interface to do that

MCH

Major Contributor
Topping dm7 is in the same price range (or even cheaper?) Than the flex and accepts 8 channels. To use only with balanced amps though.

juliangst

Topping dm7 is in the same price range (or even cheaper?) Than the flex and accepts 8 channels. To use only with balanced amps though.
You can use TRS to RCA cables with the DM7 but you still need some kind of DSP.

If you don’t need Dirac it’ll be another 120€ for a raspberry pi and like 30€ for adding an optical input.

If you want Dirac in that small form factor you need a small mini pc ~150-200€ and Dirac for windows (350€) plus optical to usb adapters if you need them.

Dirac with the minidsp will still be the more easy solution for most people.
I personally would go with the DM7 though because I don’t need a simple as possible solution lol

MCH

Major Contributor
You can use TRS to RCA cables with the DM7 but you still need some kind of DSP.

If you don’t need Dirac it’ll be another 120€ for a raspberry pi and like 30€ for adding an optical input.

If you want Dirac in that small form factor you need a small mini pc ~150-200€ and Dirac for windows (350€) plus optical to usb adapters if you need them.

Dirac with the minidsp will still be the more easy solution for most people.
I personally would go with the DM7 though because I don’t need a simple as possible solution lol
I was answering to the guy asking if he can use the flex connected to a computer running Dirac standalone app. Why would he need a raspberry pi or any additional Dirac license? Regarding the TSR to RCA:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...g-dm7-8-channel-dac-review.35661/post-1264672

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So does anyone have any word about the release of DLBC to PC/Mac's? Still on track for release at the end of this year?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
So does anyone have any word about the release of DLBC to PC/Mac's? Still on track for release at the end of this year?
They appear to be holding their fire on releases and announcements for CES.... January

juliangst

Does bass control also adjust the phase and delays what you would usually do on the sub itself?

Flak

Industry Insider
Top Bottom