• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There have been no announcements from Dirac yet.... just rumours.

I would expect (hope for!) some announcements by November...

MingChops

I'm still waiting for the DLBC upgrade to the NAD C658.
Better not hold your breath then, I can't see it coming based on reading the comments from Dirac above. Notwithstanding the fact NAD are the worst for not living up to the promise MDC offers in upgrade terms, but technically it appears confirmed in this thread you need a multi-channel DAC for DLBC. The C658 (including the other current Dirac models M33, M10, C399) is only a 2ch DAC internally which just splits the L/R signal with a common high/low pass between main and sub outputs.

The M12 and M32 actually had a 4ch DAC in them (hence the independent crossovers you could place on mains and subs with those models) - so it seems technically more feasible to implement on those, but then there's seemingly no chance of NAD retrospectively adding it to those as it hasn't even retrospectively added normal Dirac to them!
Given how the C399 leverages Dirac on a BluOS-D MDC2, it should have been possible to add it to the M12 at least I feel, what with it being a current model still! Hopefully I'm wrong and they will - then I'll very likely buy one as BluOS and DLBC on a quality pre would significantly consolidate my box count.

sharock

Better not hold your breath then
I stopped holding my breath a while ago. Even for such a basic feature as a volume limiter for the C658 to stop my speakers exploding by a finger slip.:(

I'm currently using 3 subs with mine all from the same single subwoofer out, followed by manually adjusting phases before running it through Dirac. It's not ideal, but better than nothing. I could always purchase a miniDSP and use MSO for better results, but it's extra faff.

A streamer like the C658 with DLBC would be so nice to have.

MingChops

I stopped holding my breath a while ago. Even for such a basic feature as a volume limiter for the C658 to stop my speakers exploding by a finger slip.:(
Hadn't realised you can't do volume limits - that's a big no-no for me for then with digital/app controlled volumes. Like you say, a finger slip away from destroying your speakers!

A streamer like the C658 with DLBC would be so nice to have.
Yup, sure would! We're so close to the 'perfect' product with a few manufactures too, but alas they all fall short just somewhere. By my definition of perfect I mean a highly resolving/measuring, singular integrated box that can act as both analogue and digital pre, with proper room correction including subs, plus a nice streaming capability (other than Roon!).

Anthem STR Pre is close, needs the full Genesis update to support sub distancing though not just phase (I understand it won't though as the hardware is older than that of the AVM's). If it got that in a mk2 versio though, I'd be happy then to add a Node 2i and feed it digitally.

C658 and anything NAD, all lacking DLBC and seemingly will need an architectural refresh back to a 4ch DAC arrangement.

Lyngdorf doesn't do auto sub calibration like ARC or DLBC at all from what I can tell. Plus all the users seem to lean heavily towards Roon.

2023 is/has to be(!) the year though.....fingers crossed only though, not holding my breath!! :D

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning

juliangst

What interface are you thinking of with similar or better performance?
Focusrite Clarett +2 Pre looks interesting because the front knob is able to control all 4 outputs. It also has a toslink input.
Another possible option could be the Evo 16 which has 8 outputs but only works with stereo for now. They said that many people requested master volume for all channels and multichannel capabilities so they might add it in the future.

The most simple and best measuring option would be the Topping DM7 but it’s also the most expensive one.
If adjusting volume in windows/mac is okay for you, the MOTU M4 is another good measuring and inexpensive alternative.
Note that only the Topping has a remote.

All of them measure similarly good or better than the Flex but need a computer to work. EQ can be done with EQ APO and/or Dirac (bass control). You can alternatively use a Pi with CamillaDSP but Dirac unfortunately can’t be used under Linux.

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

juliangst

Do you think a 4 Channel interface+ Intel NUC running Dirac would be a viable alternative to the Flex if it won't support DLBC?
It still lacks a 'hardware' remote but Windows volume should be fine too (and can be remote controlled with a Flirc)

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Do you think a 4 Channel interface+ Intel NUC running Dirac would be a viable alternative to the Flex if it won't support DLBC?
It still lacks a 'hardware' remote but Windows volume should be fine too (and can be remote controlled with a Flirc)
I run Dirac off my main PC for my HT/gaming/music system and it works great. Infinite flexibility inside software environment. I've used on-board audio, dedicated sound-cards, and external USB sound-cards all to great success. Xonar U5 (6 channel) and U7 (8 channel) available for $100 or less. Creative has their X3 (now X4) comparative.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If by any chance is related to the subject under discussion:
Sort of - this will be a paradigm shift.. the next step up after DLBC

This means that the low frequency capabilities of ALL speakers are integrated as a single whole.... It will make having full range speakers for your surrounds a worthwhile proposition.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This means that the low frequency capabilities of ALL speakers are integrated as a single whole.... It will make having full range speakers for your surrounds a worthwhile proposition.

The thing that makes spatial correction special is its ability to correct frequencies *above* the subwoofer range where there is more than 1 channel of summed content. This is about using speakers to cancel reflections in the very-difficult-to-fix 100-500hz range, it's not about adding speakers to your subs to improve the low bass.

The reason it's a big deal is that, if it actually works, it will provide a real alternative to room treatment in terms of controlling reflections. Right now, EQ can't directly help you with reflections, only absorption and changing speaker placement can. It also provides a direct benefit in sound quality from having more speakers -- with spatial room correction, your surround/height speakers make your stereo system sound better even if they're not being used for multichannel content.

The big "?" is really how well it works when the speakers are playing content, because using them for both reflection canceling and to play content at the same time seems non-trivial to say the least.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Sort of - this will be a paradigm shift.. the next step up after DLBC

That can drastically change how certain speakers are designed. Full Rangel center speakers do exist, but height...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
That can drastically change how certain speakers are designed. Full Rangel center speakers do exist, but height...
Height will still be more limited, but it can use the range up to 500Hz, so there is plenty of scope there...

Top Bottom