• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

droid2000

One thing I dislike is that when making a DLBC filer you can toggle your filter on/off to compare.. well when you turn it off the subs are turned off as well. This is a PITA when trying to compare what Dirac did to my subs using REW. I pretty much have to make a DLBC filter with no EQ applied to my subs, move the curtians out of the way as much as possible, save it to one of my slots, unplug my front L/R all just to get a pre-dirac sub measuremnt! There has to be an easier way to go about this right? any fellow DLBC memebers out there have any advice or can confirm this is the same for their system as well?

My subs keep playing when the filter is turned off.

RickyC34

Thanks again. I’m my case, the subs are on regardless of the Dirac filters engaged, and regardless if they are on/off. having or not sound of the subs depends solely of the sound routing from the soundcard software (TotalMix from RME in my case). That is why I found strange to only have meters for channels 1 and 2 (mains) in the Dirac Live processor, where I can hear the subs playing music. REW would be an interesting and necessary step, but curious to hear other experiences
Great point! I'll test on Roon tomorrow. That is strange. I'm interested to see what REW has to say.
My subs keep playing when the filter is turned off.
Is this the case with a source like Tidal without Roon, Jriver, etc in the middle? If so are you using multiple dacs?

droid2000

Great point! I'll test on Roon tomorrow. That is strange. I'm interested to see what REW has to say.

Is this the case with a source like Tidal without Roon, Jriver, etc in the middle? If so are you using multiple dacs?
Hey, I just tested DLBC with the filter turned off. My subs are NOT playing.

I think I thought they were playing before because the bass actually increases when I turn off the filter. I have huge peaks from the mains alone, so it made it sound like the subs were still playing too. Sorry about that!

RickyC34

Hey, I just tested DLBC with the filter turned off. My subs are NOT playing.

I think I thought they were playing before because the bass actually increases when I turn off the filter. I have huge peaks from the mains alone, so it made it sound like the subs were still playing too. Sorry about that!
Thanks for testing and getting back with me. I tried with a few different sources and had the same results. It's annoying how Dirac is louder when turned off, our ears a dumb and always think louder is better. (mine are at least) It seems Dirac would want to properly portray A vs B so users don't think things sounded better with Dirac off when in reality it's just louder. I would have to test but I believe the "workaround" is turning the gain setting off and then trying to A/B but even then, you can't do this because the subs are off.

Flak

Industry Insider

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
ChatGPT 3.5 analysis:

Summary:
Certainly! The conversation revolves around optimizing bass response in audio systems, particularly in the context of home theaters. Key points include the challenges of using multiple subwoofers, the importance of bass control for a smooth frequency response, adjusting crossover settings, analyzing spread variations, and the advanced concept of active room treatment to enhance impulse responses. The discussion also touches on the application of similar technology in the automotive industry and hints at future developments in audio system features. The speaker plans to build a new setup for their living room, emphasizing active room treatment for optimal sound quality.

Actionable Steps:
Certainly! Here are actionable steps based on the YouTube conversation:

1. **Evaluate Subwoofer Setup:**
- Understand the challenges of using multiple subwoofers.
- Acknowledge that proper bass control is crucial for optimal sound.

2. **Use Bass Control:**
- Enable bass control to improve overall bass response.
- Pay attention to crossover points and target responses.

3. **Inspect Correction Curves:**
- Examine the correction curves for each speaker group after applying bass control.
- Ensure a smooth and flat response for the sum of all speakers.

4. **Adjust Crossover Settings:**
- Experiment with crossover settings to find the best frequency for your system.
- Observe how changes affect the frequency responses.

5. **Analyze Spread Variations:**
- Enable and analyze the spread feature in your software.
- Compare variations in frequency response before and after correction.

6. **Consider Active Room Treatment:**
- Explore the concept of active room treatment for further improvement.
- Understand how it utilizes all speakers in the system for better impulse responses.

7. **Apply Active Room Treatment:**
- Look forward to implementing active room treatment in your audio setup.
- Anticipate advancements and new features in upcoming releases.

8. **Extend Testing Beyond Measurements:**
- Use tools like a signal generator to evaluate bass response by ear.
- Walk around the room to understand how different frequencies interact.

9. **Stay Updated on Upgrades:**
- Keep an eye on updates and potential upgrades to the audio system.
- Stay informed about new features and technologies being introduced.

10. **Build a Thoughtful Setup:**
- Plan your home theater setup with active room treatment in mind.
- Balance small, quality main speakers with well-placed woofers for an immersive experience.

Remember to apply these steps based on your specific audio system, room characteristics, and preferences.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the standalone Dirac Processor with a DLBC license View attachment 323042
Hello Flavio,

I have done enough research on what's my best options and concluded that the M4 is the one for me, finally.

Since I have the choice of using MacOS or windows 10, what would you recommend, would Mac offer better results, and or ease of use, setup flexibility etc?

Ricwa

Forum Donor
Hello Flavio,

I have done enough research on what's my best options and concluded that the M4 is the one for me, finally.

Since I have the choice of using MacOS or windows 10, what would you recommend, would Mac offer better results, and or ease of use, setup flexibility etc?

I’m a long-term Windows developer but have been frustrated with Windows for audio applications. I purchased DLBC and initially installed on Win 11. Finally gave up and bought my first-ever Mac, an M2 mini. I run Roon core, Dirac with DLBC (stereo with 4 subs), and uBACCH on the (headless) Mac. I can access the Mac from the listening position using Jump Desktop running on my iPad and I’m quite happy with this setup. YMMV.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m a long-term Windows developer but have been frustrated with Windows for audio applications. I purchased DLBC and initially installed on Win 11. Finally gave up and bought my first-ever Mac, an M2 mini. I run Roon core, Dirac with DLBC (stereo with 4 subs), and uBACCH on the (headless) Mac. I can access the Mac from the listening position using Jump Desktop running on my iPad and I’m quite happy with this setup. YMMV.
I will be using it on win10 on my desktop and MacOS on my laptop, I hope that won't be an issue with the way the license work. It does allow use on two devices.

Ricwa

Forum Donor
I will be using it on win10 on my desktop and MacOS on my laptop, I hope that won't be an issue with the way the license work. It does allow use on two devices.
I didn’t have any licensing issues installing and running on both Windows and Mac. I didn’t try running both at the same time however.

davidc

Forum Donor
Question regarding DLBC if I don't have a sub now.

So, my main speakers are fully capable of reproducing bass. It's better than most subs. VMPS Supertower III. So, I have not added a sub and therefore have not used DLBC. However, since I'll be adding Dirac ART to my Denon AVR-x4800h when it's released, I may add a sub to take better advantage of ART.

Flavio at Dirac told me that they chose not to try to control large front main speakers with DLBC (as they originally had planned), and, usually, the program will try to bypass the front speakers by introducing a high pass crossover so they don't reproduce the bass. This is not desirable for my setup.

However, he also told me that the crossover can be lowered to 20Hz, allowing me to use the fronts, although they won't be controlled by DLBC.

But what happens to the sub's crossover? If I set the high-pass crossover for my main speakers down to 20Hz, is this independent of my subs crossover?

Thanks

Flak

Industry Insider
Question regarding DLBC if I don't have a sub now.

So, my main speakers are fully capable of reproducing bass. It's better than most subs. VMPS Supertower III. So, I have not added a sub and therefore have not used DLBC. However, since I'll be adding Dirac ART to my Denon AVR-x4800h when it's released, I may add a sub to take better advantage of ART.
In your case I think that ART will be ideal when available, you won't even need a Dirac Bass Control license as it's not required if no subwoofers are used.

davidc

Forum Donor
In your case I think that ART will be ideal when available, you won't even need a Dirac Bass Control license as it's not required if no subwoofers are used.

Yes Flak. Thank you.

I was only thinking of a sub to provide added support for ART, as I had heard that the more speakers the better. I have a 5.0 system now.
I can't really add anymore visible surround speakers due to the wife acceptance factor and the room layout, but I do have room for hidden speakers. I can put something behind the TV, next to the couch, behind a chair.

Does ART allow for speakers that only output the correction signals? Does that make sense?

TimoJ

But what happens to the sub's crossover? If I set the high-pass crossover for my main speakers down to 20Hz, is this independent of my subs crossover?
It's not independent. Sub's crossover for mains signal will then be 20Hz. Sub will only play higher frequencies from other channels (if they are crossed higher).

davidc

Forum Donor
It's not independent. Sub's crossover for mains signal will then be 20Hz. Sub will only play higher frequencies from other channels (if they are crossed higher).
Thank you. Frustrating

TimoJ

Does ART allow for speakers that only output the correction signals?
No. They must be mapped to some channels and depending your AVR settings may be used for multichannel audio. It would work for stereo.

davidc

Forum Donor
No. They must be mapped to some channels and depending your AVR settings may be used for multichannel audio. It would work for stereo.

So, for listening to music, which I do only in stereo 2 channel, the other speakers in the system will still output the correction signals?

TimoJ

So, for listening to music, which I do only in stereo 2 channel, the other speakers in the system will still output the correction signals?
Yes, all your 5 speakers are outputting correction signals. You can also disable certain speakers from sending it. And adjust how much correction signal they offer and at what frequency range (adjustable between 20-150Hz).

Top Bottom