• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Dirac Live 3.1.1 bugs?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would like to ask if the Dirac Live 3 or 3,.. for Mac works properly now on OSX 12 or 12.1 Monterey?
I am afraid to update, but my wife needs this Mac Book too. It’s hers…. ;0)
Between Dirac and Wife. For her sake, hope not a close call.

Dolor

Best wife in the world! But…..hihi…..what is the latest and stable version of osx that I could use with Dirac live X.
Or…what osx version+Dirac live x.x works fine for 2.1 on a MacBook Air 2020 ( I5, 1,1GHz )
So I will get the best of both worlds…is there still no way to fall in love with Dirac too?

sophie smith

Looks like Dirac live is on sale until year end for 25% off (deals section of this forum).
Was thinking about getting it for PC. But also realize REW is available and is free.
I run 2 channel music system with PC as my streamer and player (Foobar2000).

Is Dirac live "worth" it over the REW? I know this is very subjective, but.... still.
Also, I do not have much time to play with the software. Something automated and easy to use would be great.

Used REW once, but had to do lots of searching and youtube viewing to run it. At the end, used MathEQ instead. Figured out REW measurements part, but could not get to equalize and save the filter to import to Foobar. I am sure it works with just a bit more effort.

Any personal opinions?

Thanks

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Looks like Dirac live is on sale until year end for 25% off (deals section of this forum).
Was thinking about getting it for PC. But also realize REW is available and is free.

Is Dirac live "worth" it over the REW? I know this is very subjective, but.... still.
Also, I do not have much time to play with the software. Something automated and easy to use would be great.

Used REW once, but had to do lots of searching and youtube viewing to run it. At the end, used MathEQ instead. Figured out REW measurements part, but could not get to equalize and save the filter to import to Foobar. I am sure it works with just a bit more effort.

Any personal opinions?

Thanks
Takes ten minutes, if that, to learn how to use Dirac. How long would it take to learn how to use REW? Don't know. Haven't tried, but I would bet my time is worth more than what I'd save monetarily by opting for it over Dirac.

Dolor

I‘am quite new in the hifi thing (one year). I have this perception:

- Dirac is easyer, more automatic, more expensive
-REW is deeper, cheaper, harder to get common to…

So if there is no time to play with software or learn a lot, then take Dirac because of its “convenience“.
But I call convenience something different. From first install to first working I fellt like bathing a cat…once it was running, it was o.k.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor

Any personal opinions?

Thanks
I got much better results with Dirac Live compared to REW, much easier and straightforward also with easy customization of target curve.

Get a trial and check it out.

abdo123

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php
I updated last night and am I the only one who thinks it sounds completely different?

Can’t tell if it’s in a good way or a bad way (I limit the correction to 250Hz).

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
I’ve tested the included microphone and it wasn’t meaningfully different than my UMIK1 so go with the NAD mic if it’s better for you. I find the NAD microphone more forgiving of the MLP placement. The UMIK1 seems to be more sensitive to placement.

I love Dirac, but the measuring process isn’t very intuitive and is a bit finicky. I would highly recommend following the Hartman or Storm Audio guides to setting up Dirac (https://www.harmanluxuryaudionews.com/2019/07/23/dirac-live-hints-and-tips/).

A couple of mistakes I made when learning:
1. Make sure to not take measurements too close to boundary walls (must be >45 cm away!)
2. The MLP measurement is by far the most important and must be perfectly positioned (I use a laser measure)
3. Each measurement should be >30 cm away from any other measurement
4. The microphone should point up
5. The microphone should have line of sight to the speakers
6. The room should be as quiet as possible
7. Treat volume and mic sensitivity as signal to noise. Increase volume to increase signal, reduce mic sensitivity to reduce noise
8. Try one of the Harman curves at first because they’ll give some bass that you’re likely accustomed to with all the room modes

There‘s an amazing Storm Audio seminar with the Dirac guys on YouTube that’s 1hr:45min that has many nuggets of info on measuring and Dirac, but it’s something you can watch in the future once you have one good set of measurements.

Regarding mistake #1: does this caution apply only to the main speakers? It seems impractical for subs (which should be placed against a wall) and for satellite speakers.

nakenergy

Can someone help me with Dirac? I have UMIK 1 mike, lexicon RV-9 receiver, same as Arcam 850, 5.1 configuration system. After running Dirac all my speaker levels are on the +db side, LEFT at 10 db, RIGHT at 9.5, center at 8, surrounds around 5 while the sub is at 1. In delay, the sub is at 00 ms which is correct as it is the farthest from the seating position. I read somewhere that high positive dbs is really off; I am not sur what I am doing wrong. I went with the sofa - 13 position measurements. I am currently running Dirac 3.1.2 on a Windows laptop. Anything to check before running Dirac?

thanks for all the help.

OP
F

fcracer

Forum Donor
Regarding mistake #1: does this caution apply only to the main speakers? It seems impractical for subs (which should be placed against a wall) and for satellite speakers.
Hi Mickey, avoiding boundaries is for the microphone, not the speaker placement. Ensure the microphone is placed >45cm away from any walls.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone else had really long delays on 3.1.2/macOS Monterrey?

I started to run a new calibration today as the result of a new sofa and attendant relocation of a new sub. I only ran one point (wanted to confirm trims and optimize signal levels downstream, given that this calibration will hopefully be long-lived. For example, our left and right speakers are equidistant to the first measuring point within a small error tolerance (millimeters), confirmed prior to calibration with a laser measure tool. The center is slightly closer. The previous Dirac cal (sub in previous position, old sofa) set plausible delay values (the imperfect L/R distance match on the heights and sides is accurate - there's a big fireplace on the left).
20211019 Dirac full old cal.png

Tonight, I got this, with insane values, and different delays for speakers at identical distances with the same downstream processor-amp and settings.
20211219 single point calibration - 2.png

Listening it sounded like an incomplete job, which it was (only one measurement). I did not continue the calibration due to these results. Interestingly, I didn't notice any lip-sync issue.

I've opened a ticket with Dirac but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Top Bottom