• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac in the 2021 Onkyo AVRs

andrew

From best to good:
- DLBC with multiple subwoofers on individually addressable subwoofer outputs
- DLBC with single sub or subwoofer cluster on a single subwoofer output
- "Regular" DL with single sub or subwoofer cluster on a single subwoofer output

Avoid at all costs:
- "Regular" DL with multiple subwoofers on individually addressable subwoofer outputs

Much appreciated. Is all this with (i) "small" mains and all bass sent to the subs or (ii) "large mains" and subs? (I'm running a stereo set-up with mains running full range as per Geddes but thinking of moving to an AVR or Pre-Pro for 2.3 or 2.4 and wondering if I'm a dinosaur with the Geddes model.)

Ata

Forum Donor
Flavio from Dirac has clarified that the Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer implementation is limited to 48K sampling rate, as opposed to the PC/Mac implementation which can go as high as 192K, possibly more.

He also pointed me to this video:

Ata

Forum Donor
...but only if the up- or down-sampling of the input signal is done well.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Much appreciated. Is all this with (i) "small" mains and all bass sent to the subs or (ii) "large mains" and subs? (I'm running a stereo set-up with mains running full range as per Geddes but thinking of moving to an AVR or Pre-Pro for 2.3 or 2.4 and wondering if I'm a dinosaur with the Geddes model.)

You ALWAYS want your speakers set to "small" regardless of their low frequency capabilities. A wide overlapping crossover region optimization assumes all low frequency content would be monophonic. In reality it is not. A more detailed discussion can be found at https://mehlau.net/audio/bass-management/

andrew

You ALWAYS want your speakers set to "small" regardless of their low frequency capabilities. A wide overlapping crossover region optimization assumes all low frequency content would be monophonic. In reality it is not. A more detailed discussion can be found at https://mehlau.net/audio/bass-management/
Much appeciated - the article has a great no. of insights. Is there a need, or change in the conclusions, if the sub-woofers aren't identical?

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Onkyo and Pioneer AV Receivers Get Dirac Live​

Is there something new here, other than new models? If not, I'm not sure why this article was posted today.

andrew

@markus

I've read, and re-read, the blog several times, and have a specific question. Is the conclusion to not run the mains full-range the right answer for stereo (2-channel) sources? Or is, in this case, there benefit in running the mains full-range? Thanks in advance

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@markus

I've read, and re-read, the blog several times, and have a specific question. Is the conclusion to not run the mains full-range the right answer for stereo (2-channel) sources? Or is, in this case, there benefit in running the mains full-range? Thanks in advance

It depends, but I would think that in most cases it is better to not run the "mains" full range. So when you said "..in this case...", what would be the case? Would it be that your speakers are more bass capable than your subwoofer, can take a lot of juice and play loud, you can place them in your sweet spot and they produce very smooth bass response, and/or you use Dirac Live?

andrew

It depends, but I would think that in most cases it is better to not run the "mains" full range. So when you said "..in this case...", what would be the case? Would it be that your speakers are more bass capable than your subwoofer, can take a lot of juice and play loud, you can place them in your sweet spot and they produce very smooth bass response, and/or you use Dirac Live?
... "the case" to which I was referring was Stereo rather than Multi-Channel (as the article speaks to the complexities of the latter and, potentially, most stereo is mixed with mono bass). My actual situation is capable mains (in-built active bass) that run full range along with capable subs that located around the room as per Geddes. The article gave me an appreciation for the theory behind mono-bass that make me question whether a better response might be possible via high-passing the mains.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... "the case" to which I was referring was Stereo rather than Multi-Channel (as the article speaks to the complexities of the latter and, potentially, most stereo is mixed with mono bass). My actual situation is capable mains (in-built active bass) that run full range along with capable subs that located around the room as per Geddes. The article gave me an appreciation for the theory behind mono-bass that make me question whether a better response might be possible via high-passing the mains.

With capable build in subs and followed Geddes guidelines, you may just compare the bass response between your build in subs and your independent subs and then decide. If both are more or less equal then I guess you can just go by ears, or take some measurements (I would) with REW and go from there.

Flak

Industry Insider
Sorry, no measurements in this user's review :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Question - for those who already have one of these.... can Dirac be applied to Zone2 or Zone3? (I think the answer may be no....)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question - for those who already have one of these.... can Dirac be applied to Zone2 or Zone3? (I think the answer may be no....)

I'd be really surprised if it could handle more than one zone/setup.

ps Altho I think this could be a great feature in multi zone avrs, to have such for each zone.....

ps but the distances involved in placing appropriate measurement mics....meh

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if these are available anywhere for sale yet?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I'd be really surprised if it could handle more than one zone/setup.

ps Altho I think this could be a great feature in multi zone avrs, to have such for each zone.....
I was thinking about using in ear mic's to do a Dirac setup for headphones, and connect a HP-amp to a Zone... but that is only viable if Dirac works on the Zones. (which is probably unlikely)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking about using in ear mic's to do a Dirac setup for headphones, and connect a HP-amp to a Zone... but that is only viable if Dirac works on the Zones. (which is probably unlikely)

I'd doubt it would work with the headphone output in any case, even in the main zone.

Top Bottom