• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac in the 2021 Onkyo AVRs

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Magnus0322

Sure. And I guess that might be worth it in the case where you really can't fit more than 1 sub in the room for whatever reason. But given the costs involved I still don't think it makes sense in very many cases.
Perhaps I'm not understanding the benefit of individual sub outs and DLBC. It sounds like you get better results by using a miniDSP to group and level two subs into a single one and then use Dirac afterwards. I'm trying to read up as much as I can on DLBC but it seems like a lot has changed over the years

Magnus0322

For anyone curious I was able to secure a pre order from that dealer at an even lower price than I read on AVSForum. Supposedly August is when they'll start to ship. I can't wait for my unit to arrive

mahawkma

For anyone curious I was able to secure a pre order from that dealer at an even lower price than I read on AVSForum. Supposedly August is when they'll start to ship. I can't wait for my unit to arrive
Color me interested. . .

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure. And I guess that might be worth it in the case where you really can't fit more than 1 sub in the room for whatever reason. But given the costs involved I still don't think it makes sense in very many cases.

Sure but you used the word "ridiculous". Audiophiles tend to spend a lot more money on much less (or no) performance gains. That's ridiculous. Something that can objectively improve the response isn't something I would describe as "ridiculous" ;)

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perhaps I'm not understanding the benefit of individual sub outs and DLBC. It sounds like you get better results by using a miniDSP to group and level two subs into a single one and then use Dirac afterwards. I'm trying to read up as much as I can on DLBC but it seems like a lot has changed over the years

From best to good:
- DLBC with multiple subwoofers on individually addressable subwoofer outputs
- DLBC with single sub or subwoofer cluster on a single subwoofer output
- "Regular" DL with single sub or subwoofer cluster on a single subwoofer output

Avoid at all costs:
- "Regular" DL with multiple subwoofers on individually addressable subwoofer outputs

Magnus0322

From best to good:
- DLBC with multiple subwoofers on individually addressable subwoofer outputs
- "Regular" DL with single sub or subwoofer cluster on a single subwoofer output

Avoid at all costs:
- "Regular" DL with multiple subwoofers on individually addressable subwoofer outputs
I'm assuming you're the same Markus from the DL thread on AVSForum? I've been slowly catching up on all the info. Thank you for your reply. It seems like the RZ50 will have two sub outs but it's really just one channel so the "best" DLBC won't be possible but from what I've seen you can still get tremendous results by going with the sub cluster and DLBC. I hope it's an available upgrade for the RZ50

PitCook

These are the intestines of Onkyo TX-RZ50:

01d0b442b514481e1bed58116080743a.jpg

It would be great to find out what knowledgeable people have to say about this design.

And these are the things that come with the unit:

this is a picture of the RZ820 - thanks google lens

Source

burkm

As long as there are no "official" pictures from the inside of the TX-RZ50 one should wait for them to be shown. Right now everything seems to be pure guesswork as what is to be expected. Even the spec sheets from Voxx for those models are preliminary and dated back to September 2020 looking at the date provided on those...
It could even be that the picture shown is "made up" by someone if the info is correct, especially, because the Onkyo model name is nowhere visible.

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
From best to good:
If I want this today at the lowest cost (not including subwoofer cost), what do I buy?

MarkS

Major Contributor
It's just a shame that so many "audiophile" companies are putting out snake-oil garbage, instead of getting good room EQ into 2.X systems.

BDE

My quick thoughts:

# price increased? 899 vs. 1,099USD
# first time I see a Dirac App, I think it is nice for the "normal/ average" user. However still possible to use a PC + separate Mic
# no pre outs except of the sub (US version), but the Europeen and Asian version gets at least a Front-Out (1V/470Ohms):

Manual.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
# first time I see a Dirac App, I think it is nice for the "normal/ average" user. However still possible to use a PC + separate Mic

DIRAC Live Room Correction: Built-in, state-of-the-art digital room correcting technology improves overall audio performance. Dirac Live automatically calibrates sound in your room using our smartphone app and included microphone or the Dirac Live desktop or laptop application* and a 3rd party USB mic (not included). Dirac Live unlocks your loudspeakers’ full potential in any listening space and delivers a uniquely pristine listening experience.

Top Bottom