• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac in the 2021 Onkyo AVRs

Flatlander

These are the intestines of Onkyo TX-RZ50:

01d0b442b514481e1bed58116080743a.jpg

It would be great to find out what knowledgeable people have to say about this design.

And these are the things that come with the unit:

1c8ec088a14a13c1c2d0fbf9c64a0eca.jpg

Flak

Industry Insider
Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the new Onkyo models in Canada can be ordered for delivery next month:
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/c...5-receivers-and-amplifiers/b137-onkyo#tophead
I read that the site is 100% Canadian-owned and operated so I expect their prices to be in Canadian dollars.

2001audiovideo is a chain store just like Bestbuy, but are for audiovideo only whereas Bestbuy sells appliances too. So yes those are in Canadian dollars. For some reasons, I seem to be seeing more and more cases where it is cheaper to buy certain brand products cheaper in Canada. This rarely happened even a year ago. It is now not a sure bet that the prices of those receivers would be lower in the US, could even be higher.

beaRA

I want to purchase an RZ50 but I want to know if this is better than the Denon AVRs. Anyone know if Amir would like to review my unit if I manage to secure one? As much as I want this AVR in my house ASAP I'll take one for the team. By the way long time lurker first time poster
You can start up a private message with him to see if he wants to review it.

Taddpole

Well that looks promising.

Some reports I read last week were hinting of delays until 2022.

That said for the highest onkyo to have a fan that looks like one from my budget pc from the 90s isn't inspiring.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want to purchase an RZ50 but I want to know if this is better than the Denon AVRs. Anyone know if Amir would like to review my unit if I manage to secure one? As much as I want this AVR in my house ASAP I'll take one for the team. By the way long time lurker first time poster

I can’t imagine any reason for him not wanting to test it. Believe or not, he loves to test gear (never mind if he drops some minor complaints from time to time), and he is the best at it.

A very different thing is the amount of workload or gear he has to test previous to the one you send him. So most likely you will have to wait until he is available. As always, start a private message with him once you actually own the gear or are just about to buy it. (Some people buy stuff and sends it directly to him, and he unboxes them for the first time).

Flak

Industry Insider
"HDTVTest (YouTube) one of the original reviewers to discover last year's HDMI 2.1 bug, has successfully reviewed an Onkyo TX-RZ50, which easily passed an Xbox Series X game at 4K/120Hz with HDR. Looks like Onkyo is the first to prove a fully functional HDMI 2.1 AVR"

From here: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/b...e-agreement-to-acquire-onkyo.8827/#post-68213
where you'll also find the video with the review

:) Flavio

Magnus0322

I can’t imagine any reason for him not wanting to test it. Believe or not, he loves to test gear (never mind if he drops some minor complaints from time to time), and he is the best at it.

A very different thing is the amount of workload or gear he has to test previous to the one you send him. So most likely you will have to wait until he is available. As always, start a private message with him once you actually own the gear or are just about to buy it. (Some people buy stuff and sends it directly to him, and he unboxes them for the first time).
Once my RZ50 is ordered I do plan on reaching out to him. I'm going to go ahead and guess this AVR will be quite popular since it seems the cheapest point of entry for Dirac Live

BDE

In the meantime you can take a look at the following video:

To see a bit of the Web Setup of the Integra was intersting, for me it could have been even more detailed.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess nobody has said anything about bass control availability in these units yet? Granted, it would be limited as I don't think any announced model from either Pioneer or Onkyo supports more than 2 subwoofers. I suspect few people would be willing to pay $500 extra for it with that limitation.

Magnus0322

I guess nobody has said anything about bass control availability in these units yet? Granted, it would be limited as I don't think any announced model from either Pioneer or Onkyo supports more than 2 subwoofers. I suspect few people would be willing to pay $500 extra for it with that limitation.
I thought single sub was $350

Magnus0322

It is, yes. But if you care about bass control bothering with a single sub seems inherently ridiculous to me.
Getting two or more subs isn't a miniDSP pretty much a requirement? You also have to think about outside of these new AVR what is the entry point for Dirac Live. Maybe they will offer the DLBC upgrade in the future but for now I'm thinking no. I'm sure there are more compelling AVR with more features but these ones seem promising especially since they don't have the HDMI 2.1 bug

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
Anyone else (with good externa amplification already) reacted to the extremely low level line outs on the models that have them, example from the RZ-50 information sheet (Integra 3.4/5.4 and Pioneer 505 are identical):
D0EF7E36-2027-46AC-A67D-0BBB83627C24.jpeg
Maybe I'm missing something but 200mV RMS won't cut it with amps often having ~1.3V+ input sensitivity. Not to mention the bad SNR this gain structure invites.. What happened to the normal 2V line levels of my old gear..

Souce: https://virtualvoxx.com/premium#section_receivers

Top Bottom