• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac in the 2021 Onkyo AVRs

EB1000

No mention of Dirac's bass control upgrade... This would be a great value if it's supported... I really hope Yamaha will add Dirac Live as well. YPAO is not even as good as Audyssey

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No XLR outputs? These would have been a steal, even with a $500 Dirac Live Bass Control upgrade.

Hopefully Emotiva eventually gets DLBC figured out or someone comes out with a decent measuring surround processor with XLR output.

Masza

They usually announce new products at the end of spring, not long before they start shipping.

Why wouldn't they promote their product at their own website and social media channels as soon as possible? Radio silence makes no sense to me as a marketing strategy.

chris719

Why wouldn't they promote their product at their own website and social media channels as soon as possible? Radio silence makes no sense to me as a marketing strategy.

They are afraid of causing people to wait for the new product instead of buying the current one. I can't say if that's justified, but that's usually a key reason.

Masza

They are afraid of causing people to wait for the new product instead of buying the current one. I can't say if that's justified, but that's usually a key reason.

True but even the current products are hardly available anywhere.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
True but even the current products are hardly available anywhere.
That's an understatement. There seems to be no stock whatsoever in Europe for Pioneer and Onkyo products.

RedHotFuzz

My hopes for new Onkyo/Pioneer receivers this summer (or ever) are rapidly dissipating into the ether. Such a tragedy. The current AVR market is a disaster.

snickers

I was wondering if Dirac is planning to offer dynamic volume and dynamic EQ like Audyssey and YAPO? I've noticed that Dirac based AVRs don't offer such useful features.

Thanks

Exactly, that was also my reason to send the Lexicon RV-6 back, and stay with my Harman 7550HD.
If someone has a dedicated room for his home-cinema, then he can maybe life without it.
But when you are using your AVR in your living room, where you can't listen always at the same level, then this features are really useful.

All of the AVR from Lexicon, NAD, Cambridge, etc... have a feature like this, but you can only use it as long the Dirac measurement is not activated.

I'm really wondering, why since years no company brings an AVR with Dirac and some sort this working at the same time...

EB1000

Exactly, that was also my reason to send the Lexicon RV-6 back, and stay with my Harman 7550HD.
If someone has a dedicated room for his home-cinema, then he can maybe life without it.
But when you are using your AVR in your living room, where you can't listen always at the same level, then this features are really useful.

All of the AVR from Lexicon, NAD, Cambridge, etc... have a feature like this, but you can only use it as long the Dirac measurement is not activated.

I'm really wondering, why since years no company brings an AVR with Dirac and some sort this working at the same time...

Such features, especially dynamic EQ must take the already applied equalization into account, so they must be natively enabled within the room calibration. In both Denon and Yamaha these features are unavailable until you run Audyssey or YPAO. This is why we need to ask a Dirac live insider about it.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Such features, especially dynamic EQ must take the already applied equalization into account, so they must be natively enabled within the room calibration. In both Denon and Yamaha these features are unavailable until you run Audyssey or YPAO. This is why we need to ask a Dirac live insider about it.

Not really. As the room/speaker correction is static, any dynamic EQ can be applied on top of it as a separate process, e.g. Monoprice HTP-1. Nothing current Dirac Live needs to be aware of. Furthermore DL doesn't have any information about absolute SPL. Not knowing absolut SPL is the sole reason why dynamic EQ can't be enabled in the examples you've given above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom